Author Topic: Need some help with dogfighting  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Eric122

• Zinc Member
Need some help with dogfighting
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:54:42 PM »
any tips? i can do snap rolls and a split s but i never am able to outmaneuver anyone. (thats why i usually stick to bombing with gunners)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Need some help with dogfighting
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:03:37 AM »
any tips? i can do snap rolls and a split s but i never am able to outmaneuver anyone. (thats why i usually stick to bombing with gunners)

turn off your stall limiter in flight preferences is the first thing to do.  The next is to optimise all of your stick settings so that whatever stick you are using has the right amount of scaling / deadband.  So that you can maintain control of the aircraft when you are pulling hard.  The stall buzzer and buffet effect gives you a good indication of when you are slow enough to enter a spin.

The view system in AH is very good so make sure you have all of the best head positions saved.  Also make sure you have everything mapped so that you can track your enemy easily.   "Lose sight,  Lose the fight".

After flying on some un familiar setups at a meet recently I take for granted how well I have every thing setup on my rig.  Trying to fly on anything else is just a chore.  This game takes ages to get fully up to speed on every little detail.  The people you are fighting have gone through the mill so to speak and years of experience is a very valuable tool in the MA's.

Get with a trainer and they will be best placed to help you get the most out of your setup.  

Good luck  :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »
Contact a trainer and set up some training sessions.

Go to:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
There is a lot of helpful info on that page.

I would also suggest:
http://www.netaces.org/

You could also go to the TA and ask for help. Just because there isn't a trainer there doesn't mean no one will help you, just ask.

That should be a start.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eric122

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »
let me give a little more information about my problems. i always end up in a position where there is no possible way to maneuver out of it and get behind an enemy and i have a tendedcy to  accidentily turn out of a fight and show the underside of my airplane

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »
Go see a trainer... They can help you out with everything from BFM to advanced ACM.

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »
see a trainer. and always make sure you gots enough go go juice loaded
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 01:30:11 AM »
Eric,

IF you are available, stop by the training arena later on this AM (Saturday 27 March) and I'll be glad to work with you.

IF we miss each other, PM me and we'll set up a time.

What the veterans above have said is exactly true.

-Rodent57
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »
The way I see it trainings ok with learning stuff like a split s and all those maneuvers,and technical stuff like what key is it to open bombbay and all that.Really if you wanna learn to fly well just see what everybody else does in about 2 months you'll get a feel and how you like to fly and what maneuvers you wanna do.First things first work on your aim if you haven't already.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 03:17:21 AM »
STRONGLY recommend reading articles at the Trainers site and hooking up with one if you can. They will and DO teach more than just basic ACM, air combat maneuvers.
Silly as it sounds, it's important to not let them get behind you as you then have to hope or force them to make a mistake, which can be difficult to say the least. You really need to work on SA, situational awareness or knowing whats going on around you at all times, and maneuver against the enemy long before they do saddle up on your six.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »
The way I see it trainings ok with learning stuff like a split s and all those maneuvers,and technical stuff like what key is it to open bombbay and all that.Really if you wanna learn to fly well just see what everybody else does in about 2 months you'll get a feel and how you like to fly and what maneuvers you wanna do.First things first work on your aim if you haven't already.

....or you could spend a few hours with a trainer and learn more. Working with a trainer is like a condensed version. Sure you could spend hours shooting drones and practice your aim and maybe see a small improvement on your hit percentage, or you could spend an hour with a trainer and see your hit percentage more than double. You can watch other fly and follow them around for weeks to "see how they do it" or you could spend a couple of hour with a trainer and KNOW how they do it and do it yourself.

Our trainers are top notch and are very good at tweaking that little bit more out of your flying.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 08:17:55 AM »
Once you see a trainer you'll understand what is "wrong" and "right". Then you can watch films after you die to see what you did wrong in that particular situation, and learn to correct it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
Anyone mentioned seeing a trainer yet  :x
Lighten up Francis

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 08:37:49 PM »

....or you could spend a few hours with a trainer and learn more. Working with a trainer is like a condensed version. Sure you could spend hours shooting drones and practice your aim and maybe see a small improvement on your hit percentage, or you could spend an hour with a trainer and see your hit percentage more than double. You can watch other fly and follow them around for weeks to "see how they do it" or you could spend a couple of hour with a trainer and KNOW how they do it and do it yourself.

Our trainers are top notch and are very good at tweaking that little bit more out of your flying.
Yes very true.I train my squaddies often.I say they won't learn much from me telling them ok a split s goes like this you do that.You don't learn much from it.If you wanna learn to be a good pilot that bad,dogfight him.Basically learn it all your self.Just practice a couple times a week.You'll be good in no time.Plus you get the joy that says,you've accomplished something by your self.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
Yes very true.I train my squaddies often.I say they won't learn much from me telling them ok a split s goes like this you do that.You don't learn much from it.If you wanna learn to be a good pilot that bad,dogfight him.Basically learn it all your self.Just practice a couple times a week.You'll be good in no time.Plus you get the joy that says,you've accomplished something by your self.
I KNOW the trainers teach more than BFM in their sessions with newer players, and is much more complex than showing them how to do the maneuver.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »
This is just piss poor advice.

Working with a trainer will help you in many ways. First off if a trainer tells you something you can bet that it is the way it works in game. You can also bet that if a trainer doesn't know he'll tell you that too and try to find out what the correct answer is. A trainer will help you break, or better yet not pick up bad habits. The trainers are all volunteers that want nothing more than for you to be successful in AH. Why struggle and get frustrated trying to go it alone, when the trainers are there for everyone that has a need.