Author Topic: TOPGUN acm  (Read 8275 times)

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
Re: TOPGUN acm
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »
Calm down people,and I'm talking to you to cooldued. Back to topic seriously. Make your own little post. What do you think of Mavericks move when he slows down and the enemy fighter flys right by,anybody do something like that and I'm not talking about some 109 reversal or a enemy fighter diving in on you,then you pull up. I mean having a plane very close to you then you pulling up slowing down,and the fighter passes right by you.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2010, 05:43:26 AM »
Basically what happens there is he plays dumb..keeps a constant speed knowing full well the other pilot is fully intent on getting him..the con has a greater closing rate he chops throttle at the right time pulls up out of guns and waits for the fly by to get the snapshot... Many do this in game it doesn't happen like you see it in topgun...1one because it is a movie..and two because half the guys here are a bad shot....three because this game doesn't have planes fly at Mach speeds.... this happens to me quite often...people like Grizz and AKAK just for example sake can and do get the snap shot more times than not...it is not a complicated maneuver, just good timing and lack of foresight by the con...had he taken notice of his closure rate and adjusted his speed the move would have backfired on Maverick and the movie would have been 3/4hr shorter.

In an earlier post I had thought it was a cobra maneuver. On reflection I was talking out my ......
However this particular maneuver can be done by most fighters and a number of thrust vectoring fighters.I believe it can be done in game to a certain extent but not as it is realistically supposed to be...we just don't have the speed and G handling capabilities.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2010, 09:58:21 AM »
Calm down people,and I'm talking to you to cooldued. Back to topic seriously. Make your own little post. What do you think of Mavericks move when he slows down and the enemy fighter flys right by,anybody do something like that and I'm not talking about some 109 reversal or a enemy fighter diving in on you,then you pull up. I mean having a plane very close to you then you pulling up slowing down,and the fighter passes right by you.

Did you happen to read this quote wayyyyy back on page 4?

Please, please, please, please, please, please.......do NOT even think about using the movie Topgun as a training aide.  An aileron roll isn't a good guns defense, you can't get into a flat spin over land and "head out to sea", all four cats never go down at the same time on a CVN, there isn't a crumb of good ACM information in it, there's no Topgun Trophy, no written tests, no grades, appropriate uniform in the Miramar O'Club bar was flight suits, not tropical whites, there are no stocking-wearing civilian Topgun "instructor" bimbos, and, if there were, I would not need to be told that "she's a civilian so you don't salute her" and I'd beeotch slap her for opening her mouth during a TACTS debrief.  Other than that, it's a fine movie. :rofl

Now I don't know how much weight Mace's comment should carry, but seeing as he does fly jets I think he may have a bit of a handle on this

Top Gun is a MOVIE ! 95% of it is tweaked just to make it entertaining... because after all that is what a movie is, entertainment ! Much like "Pearl Harbor", there are so many mistakes in that movie that it is laughable, but it is pretty good entertainment.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »
had he taken notice of his closure rate and adjusted his speed the move would have backfired on Maverick and the movie would have been 3/4hr shorter.

:lol
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2010, 12:49:24 AM »
Wrong thread...
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2010, 07:11:43 AM »
I'm sure you can 'school' me, because as I mentioned a few times already, you're an 'experten' and I'm not.  I mean, anyone that spells dude "dued" has to be such a bad bellybutton that even Chuck Norris would piss his pants in fear.

ack-ack
:rofl
Lighten up Francis

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
Did you happen to read this quote wayyyyy back on page 4?

Now I don't know how much weight Mace's comment should carry, but seeing as he does fly jets I think he may have a bit of a handle on this

Did you notice no denial on the mens locker room / towel antics ;)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2010, 06:26:43 PM »
Did you notice no denial on the mens locker room / towel antics ;)

that falls under the "don't ask, don't tell" rule   :D

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
What are some combat tactical maneuvers that would prepare you for any situation in a dogfight. For instance what would you do if you had a plane dead on your 6 split s or something else. What do you think you should do.

I'm not the best stick by far but here's a few things that I do stealth.

Planes do play a factor in what I do but lets say for example that both of you are in similar aircraft.  I will try and force the overshoot as slightly as possible where the E advantage is very slim for the other player.  If they are 200-600 yrds and close to co-e I may start a flat turn left and right creating separation until I can initiate the barrel roll.  The primary objective here is to get good enough where you don't lose as much E trying to perform this maneuver.  Once you get it down, you will have a shot right after the first barrel roll almost every time.

If there 800 plus I will go a little nose down and turn right or left pulling hard enough to create a high angle shot for them, when they appear to have a shot go wings level and climb at the same time roll your wings towards the direction they will be going after they pass you and you should have a shot ( takes some practice to get down but this maneuver is genius). 

~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »
That's not the point TOPGUN I say is just a advanced level of dogfighting. I've been in this game awhile doing that the same stuff isn't enough. I gotta step it up,the basic merge just isn't gonna cut it.

Here in lies the problem for most of us. There is a misconception that there is a "holy grail" of ACM when in truth there is not. It all comes down to 3 basic elements:

1) Relative lift vector

Your plane will only go where its lift vector lets it...and so will the other guys. All ACM has to be applied with in this framework. There is no single "right move" that works all the time.

2) Relative E state

An offshoot of the above but helps to define your options. If your + E some things will get you killed and others will compound your advantage. If your -E some options carry minimal immediate risk but offer little gain (split-S for example) while others offer an immediate offensive option with potential consequences.

3) Gunnery

Single biggest component that separates the good from the godly. You'll rarely ever beat a great shot (even if you "out fly him") if your own gunnery is substandard...

There is no "better move", just a better understanding of which move is the right one at given moment....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline snagdoa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
Boelcke?

He makes some good points but doesn't account for certain circumstances and some are not practical for gameplay.

Also WW1 and WW2 are two different animals of the same family