Author Topic: PBY  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Re: PBY
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 11:44:52 PM »
Its not that hard to figure out.
Who would fly it, what would it add to the game?
Its value is that it can operate from areas without runways over increadably long stretches of ocean. Those are useless attributes in this game.
If you had to find the carrier in the game instead of dar bars showing up as soon as they launch aircraft then maybe it would be useful for that.
If pilots could be rescued from the water for some in game purpose then it might be useful for that.
Maybe if hunting the resupply barges were a meaningful facet of the game and it required long range or surface search radar to find them.
Or if finding subs meant something.

But not one of those things are true in the game, so all the cool flying boats in ww2 are just a huge waste of time for HT and co that could be spent on an He177 or an Il10 or a panther tank or a Bearcat or tiger cat.
You know, things that would get alot of use in the game.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think you and Karnak are right. I personally think it'd be great to have, but AcesHigh just ain't ready for this bird right now. Maybe several years down the road, but not now.

Next time I'll think this though better before I start a topic on it. But I am glad I did, for it did raise some interesting points that I hadn't thought of before.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 02:16:02 PM »
Its not that hard to figure out.
Who would fly it, what would it add to the game?
Its value is that it can operate from areas without runways over increadably long stretches of ocean. Those are useless attributes in this game.
If you had to find the carrier in the game instead of dar bars showing up as soon as they launch aircraft then maybe it would be useful for that.
If pilots could be rescued from the water for some in game purpose then it might be useful for that.
Maybe if hunting the resupply barges were a meaningful facet of the game and it required long range or surface search radar to find them.
Or if finding subs meant something.

But not one of those things are true in the game, so all the cool flying boats in ww2 are just a huge waste of time for HT and co that could be spent on an He177 or an Il10 or a panther tank or a Bearcat or tiger cat.
You know, things that would get alot of use in the game.

what about using it as the ultimate CV Sinker
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
what about using it as the ultimate CV Sinker
It doesn't carry enough ords to sink a CV. (8000 lbs. If I am correct.)

The PBY is also to slow, and lightly armored and would most likely be absolutely destroyed by ack and 5 inchers.

So yeah, you can try.  :devil
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »
It doesn't carry enough ords to sink a CV. (8000 lbs. If I am correct.)

The PBY is also to slow, and lightly armored and would most likely be absolutely destroyed by ack and 5 inchers.

So yeah, you can try.  :devil
what does it take to sink a cv with american torps ingame
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »

For the vast majority of players torpedoes are a very poor tool for sinking things in AH.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »

Just because the ordinance comes in a different package, doesn't mean it takes any less of it.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »

Instead of answering this, I'm going to send you to http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/, the information is there.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »
why doesnt he want them?

He would need to model water as... water first.  I bet that would be easy.   :rolleyes:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »
Just because the ordinance comes in a different package, doesn't mean it takes any less of it.
but the pby holds more american torps than any other plane

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
He would need to model water as... water first.  I bet that would be easy.   :rolleyes:

wrongway
there are already pt boats playable, so whats your point?

Offline Guymed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 08:03:29 PM »
What about the PB2Y Coronado? It can carry 12,000 pounds of bombs, had 4 1,200 hp engines, lots of guns and a few turrets for them, water takeoff/landing (duh) and could carry a helluva' 'lotta troops. Scary, but maybe good...  :devil

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »
there are already pt boats playable, so whats your point?
He's saying that touching water is a no-no for ALL planes in here (obviously) and that it would be a nightmarish re-code to change that, for a plane which lotsa folks would fly at first, then discard
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
well water behaves like land for planes. maybe code the plane like a boat that can fly once a certain speed is reached

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
 :lol flying PT boats. Anyone remember that?
Lighten up Francis