Author Topic: Revised Hit Sprite  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Revised Hit Sprite
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:15:50 AM »
How's this for a tid bit in eye candy?  When a manned vehicle / aircraft is hit, we see a spark (as we currently do) followed by a very small brief spray of smoke.   :cool:  For those who can't handle it or causes them some sort of grief, could it also be switched on or off under graphic details?

As pictured above, but much smaller.  I believe this will generate some awesome AH films  :D

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Re: Revised Hit Sprite
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:30:05 AM »
It's already like that.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:20:29 AM »
Taters make nice hit sprites   :noid
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
It's already like that.

I'm not sure I follow Tec... Yes, AH has the bright white hit sprite, but I think what's being requested is to add that puff of smoke that you see right after the "flash" of the hit.

Which I think would look cool. And yes, cannons have very nice hit graphics. =-)
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24:54 AM »
It's already like that.

What tec said.  I see a flash and a puff now.  Maybe it's my crappy, barely able to play, frequent black-screen-of-death computer I have.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 11:58:43 AM »
A couple hundred .50 cals in the cockpit makes for a good sprite.  :rock
Lighten up Francis

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
Tec  :headscratch:

I see a flash, but not puffy smoke.  This is a cool effect, but if you compare it to the ground hit, you will see what I am asking for (but on a smaller scale).

What I see now when vehicles / aircraft are hit:

This is what I would like to see on a smaller scale (not to obstruct gunnery) as hit sprite animation:

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
Its already in the game.

Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 01:37:56 PM »
Larry,

Cool, and sorry if I wasted anyone's time, but  :headscratch: I am not seeing it? (see my pic above, same in plane)  I have effects turned on, but maybe resolution or texture size limits this ability.  Any ideas?  I think I need to post in Technical Support.

Edit:
Doh, after further review :)  Somehow it kept turning off as default, turned it back on and saw the same as Larry.

Okay, then revising, my revised hit sprite request. :D Needs a bit more POOF!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:50:56 PM by Chilli »

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »
there is not the same effect on tanks as there is on planes.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 02:54:45 PM »
Bowhtr, well no, there wouldn't be.

20mm exploding round hitting aluminum will "flash" and the shrapnel will shred aluminum.
Leaving that "puff" of smoke and debris.

Contrast that with a 75mm or bigger round hitting tank armor. Either it penitrates, in which case all the actions on the inside, or it bounces. No soft aluminum skin to shred = no puff of smoke/debris.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 02:52:02 AM »
Note too that those strikes on the T-34 are ricocheting. The same hit on an aircraft will result in a puff like in the picture of the B-24.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 03:56:06 AM »
Okay, I got lazy and used a tank to show what I was seeing in comparison to what I would like to see.

Still, although as great as Larry's example was, the effect seems to be  :uhoh lacking.  Awesome job, but I am still not seeing as dramatic animation as I am wishing it to be.

Maybe that is part of the reason I turned it off ( cost in cpu resources / benefit ). 

In the gif and most actual gun cam films, the spray seems more obvious.  I am just pushing it a bit further, looking for the wow effect (currently metering somewhere around ..."hey, that's cool")

I have noticed a lot of improvements in damage animations in the last few versions.  I am thinking, that half a wing peeling off and flying past your cockpit was a lot less common, than shredded parts still attached to the aircraft.  So, maybe when the scaled damage is implemented in WW2 aircraft, maybe a bigger visual cue that something vital was hit could go along with it.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 11:57:04 AM »
i get the really detailed hit animation at very close range, past a certain range, its just the bright white hit sprite..

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
I haven't messed with the hit sprites yet, but I have edited the muzzle flash so far.

Unedited screenshot:

:D
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus