Author Topic: Revised Hit Sprite  (Read 1250 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Revised Hit Sprite
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
I haven't messed with the hit sprites yet, but I have edited the muzzle flash so far.

Unedited screenshot:

:D
nice :rofl

Isnt the puff suppose to represent the explosion from a cannon round?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 01:43:09 PM »
 :rofl Nice Ranger +2   

JunkyII,

Yes, I would say the puffs in the gif pictured were cannon round hits (explosions).  IIRC, even mg rounds in this game reflect damage from the array of different ammo types that could have been loaded.  Meaning, some rounds would be incinerary, some would be armor piercing, and some would be tracer rounds (phosphorous).

As kvuo pointed out, maybe the viewable range is something to be considered expanding.  +1 (can I do that in my own post?)  :headscratch:

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »
I would like to see the difference between all the different rounds then maybe ask HTC to put it in.

I dont notice a difference in the hits unless I shooting a tator at something :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »

On a flip side, it'd be good if HTC finally found some time to update the hitsprite GFX...

I mean, we've had that low-resolution 'white-glob'-ish hit sprite for what, almost 10 years now?

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
On a flip side, it'd be good if HTC finally found some time to update the hitsprite GFX...

I mean, we've had that low-resolution 'white-glob'-ish hit sprite for what, almost 10 years now?

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind a new hit sprite and a higher resolution tracer (current one reminds me a bit of a Star Wars laser blast it's so thick =) ), as well as particle effects for the tracer trails, smoke, fire, etc. But I know there would be a large shouting of "higher requirements" complaints. =)
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
Truthfully, I wouldn't mind a new hit sprite and a higher resolution tracer (current one reminds me a bit of a Star Wars laser blast it's so thick =) ), as well as particle effects for the tracer trails, smoke, fire, etc. But I know there would be a large shouting of "higher requirements" complaints. =)

Truthfully in turn, it is now 2010, a decade after 2000...

I'd understand if people were complaining about particle effects and pixelshaders if we were in 1998.. but gosh, really.. people complaining about tracer effects being 'glowy' hogging their systems..??

We all know and love how HTC is 'lenient' to low-end users... but come on.. !

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 04:08:19 AM »
I resemble that remark  :old:  One of the things that has amazed me is the high quality of play online versus, what I have seen in other games.  I haven't met the staff yet, but they remind me of the old school bunch, who never wasted resources.  My brother being one of them, I have nothing but praise for their commitment and smarts, not to loose the older player base that are more likely to buy a larger monitor  :O (due to eyesight.... yes, me) rather than  :headscratch: run out and grab a computer  :bolt: with new OS that is obsolete, as soon as purchased  :huh .

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »
The sprites itself (IMHO) have a to long duration time.  When i look at gunsight video's i notice barely any sprites, and when they show up they are there for a split second. The sprites in game seem to stay there for about a half a second.
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »
Mus, in-game a hit sprite represents multiple rounds hitting. It's a balancing act, as far as I figure. They stay there longer because when you land 10 hits you're only seeing the 1 sprite, instead of 1 micro-second sprites. Reduces work on the front end of the guy seeing the sprites.

P.S. That's not a guess, they've said before that any hit sprite can represent multiple hits, so it's not a 1-for-1 when you review films in slow motion.

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
Oke, but still there should be a way to shorten the duration of a hit sprite. Right?

Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing it different. Maybe it's the same length, but what you see is an ANIMATION of multiple hit sprites... Like it's only displaying 1 thing, but like the muzzle blast sprites it consists of multiple frames?

Just a thought.

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 08:06:31 AM »
When structural damage occurs little bits of metal falling away after the hit sprite and smoke puffs would be spiffy.
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 10:25:51 AM »
Mus, in-game a hit sprite represents multiple rounds hitting. It's a balancing act, as far as I figure. They stay there longer because when you land 10 hits you're only seeing the 1 sprite, instead of 1 micro-second sprites. Reduces work on the front end of the guy seeing the sprites.

P.S. That's not a guess, they've said before that any hit sprite can represent multiple hits, so it's not a 1-for-1 when you review films in slow motion.

No we have not said this.

It has all ways been in game 1 hit = 1 hit sprite.

HiTEch