Author Topic: Brand New Player  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Brand New Player
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 07:20:25 AM »
Have a look here. http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahgs/stickmap.html
Set up the way YOU like. Follow the directions you should have no problems.
See Rule #4

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 07:40:45 AM »
also a newb here ,where can i find stick maps for a microsoft FFB 2?

Welcome BERN1.   :salute

I have the same stick.  You can set up the buttons any way you choose.  If you need help, I can tell you what I have my settings on.  I do use the advanced settings, i.e. scaling, deadpan, and dampening.  Bronk posted the link to walk you through it.  But let me know if you get stuck. :aok
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 08:22:31 AM »
Stick set-ups really is a personal preference. When I came over from AWIII when it shut down  :cry I had my comands set on my stick and memorized. I kept the same setting just changed them in the game. I figured I have enough to learn with a new game that learning a new setup on my stick wasn't an extra burden didn't I need at the time.

Aces High stick mapping is is fairly easy to work out and set up. 15-20 minutes is more than enough. You can copy the files and save them to disk so in case you run into a computer problem you have a back up and you don't have to do it again. If you have any trouble, just post a note and you'll get some help <S>

Offline tokenjo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »
First off I don't know if the time on skuzzys edits are gmt or Texas time
but 6 am Sunday morning... All I can see is the DD commercial.  Time to
edit the boards...

I've played a long time... Length of time does not = ace, some have it, some
don't.  I've always struggled w lead shooting.  Best help was to go offline and
turn the lead gunsite on.  Do a couple runs on the drone at diff angles and see
how much lead is needed. 

Oh, welcome to AH.

Tokenjo

Offline RC10B4

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
Thanks for all the great replies every one ... :cool:

I got a mike last night , and its great to hear I won't have to spend a whole lot of money on fancy computer gear to play the game well..

Will be joining a squad soon ....

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
With that new microphone, you'll want to know about the traditions, conventions, and requirements of voice comms within Aces High. Here are some video clips that I hope you will find helpful:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Training/AcesHighTrainingByPeabodyPage04Full.htm

Regards,

Peabody

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »

I got a mike last night , and its great to hear I won't have to spend a whole lot of money on fancy computer gear to play the game well..

Take your time on a squad man, fly with different guys and see who you like to fly with the most.  Get a feel for what things in the game you like to do, and then, afterward, get in with a group of people who you like and who also enjoy flying the same way that you do.  There's no hurry at all, take your time and eliminate some potential sources of frustration in advance. 

That's my .02 anyway.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »

It all depends on what you want to spend...you can do as simple as an ST290Pro (Saitek), up through an X52 HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) or even bite the bullet and go CH, but that is a life-long investment and the gear will last you 10+ years.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline RC10B4

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 11:57:48 AM »
I have playing the game for a while now , seem not fair at all...

I can blast away at other planes, empty my ammo box. and not kill the target , while at the same time one of your aces can use just one shot and I'm going down in Flames ...

Whats the point if I can't survive or even fight ?

I checked the score rosters and I have 9 kills in 150 sorties...

Sad ....

Most have a lot 10 times more kills  with half the sorties ...

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »

I can blast away at other planes, empty my ammo box. and not kill the target , while at the same time one of your aces can use just one shot and I'm going down in Flames ...

2 quick points while I'm climbing to altitude in my 262 ;) :

1: Most of us started that way. Only very, very few were killing more than they died at first. Almost every player started as a victim first, not a killer.
2: Hook up with a trainer. Even just 30 minutes of practicing with a trainer will help you tremendously. Repeated sessions will bring you to form quite quickly. A trainer will spot your weakness, identify it and teach you to do better.

Actually "most" don't. Just the ones you checked out. The average player doesn't get 1 kill per sortie or better. Also the average player has a K/D less than 1. Those you call "aces" are quite rare actually.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:13:52 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RC10B4

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »
It frustrating with I know the plane I attack takes 1/2 my ammo and then he gets on my 6 and just with a short burst and I'm going down....

This my issue , how come my plane is so easy , yet the other guy takes mass hits ...

I can't understand why the other plane is so lethal compared to mind ...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »

Sad ....

go into the training arena. You can turn on a "lead computing" gun site. (ask in there how to turn it on, I'm not sure, it's been a long time) Highlight another player and follow him around. The green plus sign is where your rounds would land if you fired your guns. You'll be very surprised at how much you have to lead a target.

The other thing is don't shoot unless the range marker is 400 or less. Anything else and your just wasting ammo. The longer the distant the more the bullet disperse, and loose their punch.  

Offline RC10B4

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »
Thanks for great replys , I'll take the advise and spend time in the training area for a while ....

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
It frustrating with I know the plane I attack takes 1/2 my ammo and then he gets on my 6 and just with a short burst and I'm going down....

This my issue , how come my plane is so easy , yet the other guy takes mass hits ...

It may sound harsh, but you are not hitting. You currently have a hit% of 0.07... that means only 1 out of ~1400 rounds fired by you hits its mark.

My advice would be not just going to TA, but also setting up a session with a trainer. Usually there are many helpful players there, but not always a trainer, so making an appointment with one of them beforehand may bee a good thing.

Oh, and on gunnery: When in TA, hit ctrl-tab. it will then say "friendly lock enabled" in chat box. If you now hit tab with another player in your view, you will "lock on" and one green targetting crosshair will appear. That will help you to get a feel for leading your shots.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:44:34 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »
If you now hit tab with another player in your view, you will "lock on" and one green targetting crosshair will appear. That will help you to get a feel for leading your shots.

You'll see a crosshair for each caliber weapon that's equipped.  If you have 20mm cannons and .303 machine guns, you'll see two crosshairs since the speed and trajectory of each weapon is different.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals