Author Topic: 5 rules of How Aces High should be played  (Read 5177 times)

Offline greens

• Silver Member
Re: 5 rules of How Aces High should be played
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »
The threads are out there I remember reading them, he was offered all sorts of advice by Lute but didn't even bother trying if I remember correctly.
there is online help i can get to get my game going best as it can, like i said before i know people who are gaming nerds too so " QUIT WHINING!! "
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 08:38:42 PM »
there is online help i can get to get my game going best as it can, like i said before i know people who are gaming nerds too so " QUIT WHINING!! "

Your a right drama queen. So then you've sorted this connection problem out then? With the help of your 'gaming nerds'  (I'm sure you look/act just like Fonzy btw). Why then post here telling people not to whine about your connection again?

I don't care if you live in a treehouse in the Amazon I don't wanna be around someone warping all the time, because its a huge waste of my time and everyone elses, if I had persistent warping problems I'd look for a solution if none was available I'd quit the game rather than cheese everyone off.

I certainty wouldn't tell them to stop whining because I say so, after all they are also paying for this. But looking at your OP telling everyone to basically shut up because you say so other people's gaming experience or enjoyment comes very low down your list.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Fixed

nice fix, couldn't agree more  :aok
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 09:00:48 PM »
Ah so Wreked's prediction comes true finally.  Oh well on to more important things.  I agree 100% with you, but my wife said your reference to her does not apply to me.  Sorry have to listen to the boss.  (Whisper) Hit the nail on the head. :aok

Online 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »
About the lag part:

The worst possible connection for Aces High is satellite.  Other games would suffer equally from Dial-up, but luckily AH is still low-intensity in that respect.  Satellite while has crappy ping/packet loss is hardly the reason for constant warping, I and several others are proof of that.  As I tell people I fight that may ask "How did you shoot me like that?"  it's because we are about 700-1500ms behind everyone else.  Meaning we are a constant 1-1.5 seconds behind where you think we are (this also is true when you shoot us, angles look off).

However, even satellite is tame-able to the point of not warping everywhere, ask Worm, Rodent, SCTusk, BGB and several other WWI people I fight constantly who never notice, or it's such a small lag it's barely noticeable.  To blame your type of connection/location and that alone on why you warp like a mad-man, you need to reconsider your stance.

If you use Satellite:
>Shorten the cable between the Dish and Modem to as short as possible.  It should be no more then 50-75ft for best results, 100ft max.  I think ours is 75ft after shortening from 150ft due to a poor installation.  Went from 3500-4000ms ping to 700-1800ms
>Reset Modem weekly or after any storm or power-outage.  Possibly even daily if needed.
>Make sure the dish is not pointed towards/blocked by any objects (Ex. Trees, houses, etc.)
>Make sure you haven't exceeded your daily/monthly bandwidth

If you use Dial-up you should be fine (Seen people on it who are more stable then cable comcast users), Cable/DSL is fine, Fiber-optics is fine.  So there really is no reason to blame your location, it's likely several things you haven't done/fixed.  During peak hours you may get worse lag, but hardly terribly warpy.
This isn't meant to be mean, but really there are always things to try.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 12:36:11 AM »
im on real satellite with verizon. everything is wireless. all you do is plug the modem, which is the size of a credit card, into the wall and turn it on. thats it. from there everything is wireless. i get hardly any lag/warping.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 01:10:44 AM »

Do tell what you have  done to fix your connection.  

I want to hear SPECIFICS about what all you have tried.

I am positive you have done nothing (or next to) to try and fix your warping.

"Online help" is next to worthless if you don't know what to look for/ask.

"Gaming Nerds" are also (usually) next to worthless in most cases.  Most think they know what they are talking about but alas few do.

Not sure why you are afraid to even let us attempt to fix your connection.  Hell, I usually charge $75/hour for this stuff and have offered it to you for free.  This community is so full of players that have extensive backgrounds on this kinda stuff  (for example I was a tech for a major ISP for years, have Network+ and MCSE certification, blah, blah, blah, etc...) that I am sure between us all we could come up with a viable solution to your issues.

The "I live in the boondocks" crud doesn't fly.  If you have a phone line you can connect to AH with a dial up and have a pretty stable connection.  (you just gota know how to tweak it some)

If you have a Satellite connection there are many "tweaks" that can be done to give you a much more stable connection and reduce your ping.  (some good ones were already posted a few posts up but there are many more)

There is NO reason for you to warp like you do except that you choose to.  
Bottom line.

Heck, I once had to use a 28k dial up connection that routed through a hotel switch board phone system that was a good 20+ yrs old and ended up had a more stable connection than most players in the game.  (Skuzzy helped me w/ that one)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 03:04:06 AM »
i get hardly any lag/warping.

What do your average ping times look like?
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 03:22:41 AM »
THE #1 main rule should be to play your way and not try to tell other people how to play.

100%  :aok

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 04:03:05 AM »
Someone's fix needs another patch. 

Lute, at some point (yes, I have been there and still am at to a degree) your connection is as good as it gets.  In my location, dial up is the best connection that I can get to please other players.

Now, do I abandon my reasonably priced hi speed connection, that is used for in home business, add another phone line not to be interrupted by important business or personal calls, pay HTC 14.95 a month, still to listen to others' accusations that I am not playing the way they feel best suits them? ....... Of course not!

Lute, your offer to help another player through a process that you absolutely know is complicated and needs some technical savvy is commendable.  However, it does not give you or anyone else, any right to use that offer as a reason to make a claim that greens somehow secretly enjoys being insulted for his connection.  In fact, I would rather that you or others spent that time giving suggestions in this thread, as to what fixes there are.  Then this post might be useful for others that find themselves frustrated the same as greens.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 04:30:56 AM »
I am old and have to whine :old:
Where am I and what days is it?

Lord of the Rings is all about walking that's all they do, even the trees walk :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline tassos

• Nickel Member
      • Free Warbids Arena
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 04:39:38 AM »
greens what does the Belugas do?
Greetings
Living Aces High from Sep 1999 as ATZE,MrROX,and from Feb 2000 as tassos
Quit: OPEN /Google:48°58'22.40"N 10°8'15.30"E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69CquvLHgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCq22Vpa18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsVxFycRZo
Aces High be a part...

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »
im on real satellite with verizon. everything is wireless. all you do is plug the modem, which is the size of a credit card, into the wall and turn it on. thats it. from there everything is wireless. i get hardly any lag/warping.
Thats exactly what I have. Works totally fine no lag / warping.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 08:18:33 AM »
Someone's fix needs another patch. 

Lute, at some point (yes, I have been there and still am at to a degree) your connection is as good as it gets.  In my location, dial up is the best connection that I can get to please other players.

Now, do I abandon my reasonably priced hi speed connection, that is used for in home business, add another phone line not to be interrupted by important business or personal calls, pay HTC 14.95 a month, still to listen to others' accusations that I am not playing the way they feel best suits them? ....... Of course not!

Lute, your offer to help another player through a process that you absolutely know is complicated and needs some technical savvy is commendable.  However, it does not give you or anyone else, any right to use that offer as a reason to make a claim that greens somehow secretly enjoys being insulted for his connection.  In fact, I would rather that you or others spent that time giving suggestions in this thread, as to what fixes there are.  Then this post might be useful for others that find themselves frustrated the same as greens.

Lute is right.   Greens now relies on his crappy connection to some extent.   He's been been offered fixes for the better part of 4-5 months and he's done nothing.   Greens ISN'T "frustrated" btw.   If he truly was, this thread wouldn't have existed.   it was created because he doesn't care about his massive warping.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC