Author Topic: WW1 Top Gun type award  (Read 653 times)

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
WW1 Top Gun type award
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:01:59 AM »
Not that this would ever apply to me but here goes, I'm aware of the upcoming changes to the WW1 scene but this is something not covered by that. I think most would agree that WW1 more so than WW2 was the time of the Great Aces, the very best were much publicised and held in high esteem. The rank system is what it is (I suspect most don't put that much stock in it, I'm often bested by people 1v1 who according to their rank should be not too much trouble). That said, it might be fun (and something to aspire to) if say, the top three or five (or ten?) ranking flyers were somehow highlighted (put their handle up in a different colour maybe?) or even get access to a/c with special 'Ace' skins. Imagine coming up against an all red Tripe in there, now that would be cool.

I seem to remember the old Flying Circus game by Simguild had a Black Ace award which worked something like that, but you had to achieve a run of 100 kills to win it. As far as I know, only the Skeleton Crews' own SC-PLight ever won that distinction (but I could be mistaken). Anyway I think something along those lines would be very much in keeping with the WW1 theme, add to the fun, and give some of the top guns from the WW2 arena another good reason to come over occassionally and try their luck in the old bipes n' tripes. I've seen some fantastic flying in there on occassion, which should really get more of a reward than some barely noticed number on a ranking list, and it would add a little more of a WW1 'feel' to proceedings imho.   
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
Re: WW1 Top Gun type award
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:38:39 AM »
Seems like a good idea. Instead of a skin though for the aces,make it like ribbons on there planes wings. A ribbon for every rank would be interesting.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »
"most would agree that WW1 more so than WW2 was the time of the Great Aces, the very best were much publicised and held in high esteem."

Not quite so much by the British, who recognised the fact that it was the two-seater crews who did the most important work and that the fighter pilot's main duty was to gain and hold sufficient air superiority to enable them to do that work while denying the same freedom of action to the enemy. But this arcade game is called Aces High after all, so sure, why not?

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »
I'm aware of the upcoming changes to the WW1 scene   

What upcoming changes? Have I missed something?
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
+1
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
+1 to the skins, not ribbons. i'd say the winner gets a read baron style plane? WWI updates? what are you talking about?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:34:45 AM »
Here's a quote from a previous thread re new arenas in case you missed it:

As I said previously our next big task is to bring up user spawned arenas where they have control of all. So that will be a good venue for what you ask.

HiTech

Apparently we'll be able to modify most of the current content within reason for these arenas. The reason I asked about some sort of top ace recognition beyond the present rating system is that it would require something new added, as opposed to manipulating what is currently available. 
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:48 AM »
Well I say when we look at score on roster it has it like General,Sargent and so on. I would like that to not just skins.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:49:44 AM »
So you could get medals, ribbons, rank, and special skins showing your elite status by parking an F3b under a furball and jumping to the gunner seat?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 06:59:46 AM »
So you could get medals, ribbons, rank, and special skins showing your elite status by parking an F3b under a furball and jumping to the gunner seat?
LMAO...bet no one thought of that.

Here's a quote from a previous thread re new arenas in case you missed it:

Apparently we'll be able to modify most of the current content within reason for these arenas. The reason I asked about some sort of top ace recognition beyond the present rating system is that it would require something new added, as opposed to manipulating what is currently available. 
There are going to be limitations to what you can enable/disable...it's not going to be like player hosted servers where anything goes...there is a reason the plan is to have HTC host the servers and allow control similar to the CM's and special events servers.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »
...it was the two-seater crews who did the most important work and that the fighter pilot's main duty was to gain and hold sufficient air superiority to enable them to do that work while denying the same freedom of action to the enemy.

I've never understood what so complicated about that.  That's really what the game should boil down to.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:27:25 PM »
I've never understood what so complicated about that.  That's really what the game should boil down to.
but the WWI feel nowadays is to fly with the aces, to be the best. Honor, glory... nobody thinks of bombers of WWI. They think of the feel of the close range 15 plane dogfight which the top survive.
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
For what purpose?  And how does the dogfight happen?

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »
In WWI the dogfights just...happen, theyre all fun and honorable flyers. never angry and always laughing and having a good time... no need to destroy the arena with bombers and score hos. Make a second WWI MA for that and leave the dogfight arena for a blast from the past. I'd love to get a Red Baron skin for my plane just to show "im the best, try me!" you cant kill steal anymore and the pilots dont mind much about scores so this would be perfect
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 05:50:01 PM »
"In WWI the dogfights just...happen, theyre all fun and honorable flyers. never angry and always laughing and having a good time... no need to destroy the arena with bombers and score hos. Make a second WWI MA for that and leave the dogfight arena for a blast from the past. I'd love to get a Red Baron skin for my plane just to show "im the best, try me!"

Typical furballer elitism - which is why all you ever do is end up flying in ever-diminishing circles until you disappear.

The persistent fable that WW1 combat flyers were 'Knights of the Air' dishonours the memory of the men who did it for real. But as I said earlier in this thread, this is only an arcade game, not a WW1 combat flight simulation, so play away to your heart's content in your new play-pen.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF