Author Topic: Why does this community........  (Read 7478 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Why does this community........
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
Look in a mirror.

HiTech

Where else can you go & get slammed by the man himself?  That's why this "community" is great.  A big dysfunctional family.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Just think for a minute how boring these boards would be if it were not so.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:16:41 PM by USRanger »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 05:21:09 PM »
Poor situational awareness was no excuse for getting killed and certainly was no reason to start abusing the guy who killed you on a text channel. There was no such thing as "picking", "gang banging", "kill stealing" or interrupting a 1 v 1 in a primary arena. Picking was poor SA on the part of the one picked. Getting into a fight with too many bandits for one to handle successfully was poor head work. "Kill Stealing" was better markmanship. And interrupting a 1 v 1 is the entire point of massively multiplayer online gaming. Of course there were some players who complained about those sorts of things but they were the minority and were quickly shouted down with choruses of "shut up and die like a man".

Yes.... the good old days. I miss them. :)

Cav
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 06:19:12 PM »
get bashed?

I checked out FA forums and saw something about Warbirds never heard about it. Checked it out and looked about there forums. And i have to say there is a a lot of stuff posted about aces high

notice who the person that is complaining the loudest about AH in the WB forums and that's pretty much all you need to know about their opinions.  Basically, the ones still playing WB on a regular basis are the ones that been unable to extricate their heads out of WildBill's ass.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »
notice who the person that is complaining the loudest about AH in the WB forums and that's pretty much all you need to know about their opinions.  Basically, the ones still playing WB on a regular basis are the ones that been unable to extricate their heads out of WildBill's ass.

ack-ack
Ack-Ack you would be no different if the tables were turned...I know the guy and though he may not convey his ideas in a manner that suits all you fanboiz he's not thumping his cyber chest about how great a stick he is as if it makes him a man in some obscure manner. Try changing tactics instead of just flaming away and you might see different results.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
See Rule #4

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
http://forum2.totalsims.com/viewtopic.php?t=8516
 :rofl
You're laughing about a thread from 2008? Talk about necro lame... :aok
jarhed  

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »
Same tone to his post today as they were back then...
See Rule #4

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
So AcesHigh is easy mode compared to WB?  :uhoh Thorism must REALLY suck over there.  ;)
Lighten up Francis

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
So... somebody asks why AH is bashed and the first response is to bash in return?

Lighten up, folks.

Like many seemingly irrational fights, this one has a root that reaches back in history. It is the Toledo Border War for Aces High, if you will.

Hitech wanted to code a force-based flight sim. He was told no, we'll do it this way. So sure was Hitech that he could build a better sim that he started his own company. He got it up and running and it was a worthy game to play. Folks flocked to it. It wasn't vapor ware. It wasn't freeware that never gets updated. It wasn't many things that other little upstart games tried to be. It was an actual game! Folks liked it. In fact, many folks left WB to come to AH. There are many other reasons (folks get snubbed on both sides, hold grudges, and smear the other side on their respective forums) but IMO the root was taking customers away from Wild Bill. Without AH, folks would have just moved on to something else. It just happens AH was the thing they moved on to, hence we get the evil eye.

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2010, 09:58:59 PM »
HiTech is it weird when I look in the mirror I see a leather thong with goggles and storm trooper boots?  :uhoh
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
HiTech is it weird when I look in the mirror I see a leather thong with goggles and storm trooper boots?  :uhoh
It only gets weird if the leather gets wet.  :old:
Lighten up Francis

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
err um mm... well i guess ill never fly in my Pink Elephant thong ever again :bolt:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2010, 11:29:26 PM »
So AcesHigh is easy mode compared to WB?  :uhoh Thorism must REALLY suck over there.  ;)
That was what a lot of old WBs fans thought...especially the ones who were there from the beginning. To be honest, before the graphics update, I thought AH was no better than WBs...kinda reminded me of MS Combat Flight Simulator...grainy and not that great...in offline mode, even the flight models on the 109s seemed the same.

The same crap gets said here about other sims...it's not like AH is full of saints who never say a bad thing about anything or anyone.
jarhed  

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 05:49:38 AM »
Lusche, We need a pie chart here of the different games/bbs of ppl who say AH sucks/don't suck, etc :rock

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 06:35:20 AM »
The first time I tried AH was during the AH versus Warbirds Duel and it did seem an easier flight model than the one Warbirds had at the time. Not necessarily better, just easier. Neither was very accurate. The biggest difference back then was gunnery in Aces High was very easy, so easy that it forced different tactics.

In the intervening years Warbirds severely screwed up its flight model. Part of that involved a character HiTech ran off from here. He was an incompetent boob with the ability to post lots of graphs and charts. He didn't pass the smell test and Dan ran him off but Warbirds believed he was legit, unfortunately. Warbirds implemented a Coefficient of Lift change that royally screwed with the FM and my entire squadron left and came over to Aces High.

Unfortunately, there are very few of the guys left for a lot of different reasons. Mostly we are just getting old I think and playing with kids just isn't as fun as it might look.

Aces High has a good flight model, better than Warbirds probably although since I haven't flown Warbirds in years I can't know for sure. Gunnery is still too easy, too much of a straight line and it changes the dynamic of the fight considerably but I'm not sure if that is the icon or the gunnery physics.

I say that because the no icon fights in the AvA are an entirely different type and seem to negate the guns to some extent.