Author Topic: Squad medals and awards  (Read 1876 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Squad medals and awards
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
I like to start a program in the *NDM* that would allow for advancement in rank, promote achievements, outstanding conduct and add to the general fun of the game for my squadmates. I'd like to do this be awarding medals and ribbons to the squaddies and post them on the squad web site.
The only problem is, I don't know where to start. I'd like to have a system and look all our own, and was wondering how some of the squads out there that do this kind of thing, get the ball rolling.

I was with the 412th Braunco Mustangs for a stretch and really liked the way they do theirs. I want something like that but at the same time a bit different and unique for the *NDM*.

If anyone has any experience in starting something like this, I'd sure like to hear from you. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
Re: Squad medals and awards
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
The Freebirds have this system, you can check it out here

http://freebirdsquad.webs.com/commendations.htm

Hope this helps  :aok

We started our with a few basic medals, one for a number of kills in a GV, one for a certain number of kills in a fighter per month, etc, once you figure that out you can broaden it a bit
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
I like to start a program in the *NDM* that would allow for advancement in rank, promote achievements, outstanding conduct and add to the general fun of the game for my squadmates. I'd like to do this be awarding medals and ribbons to the squaddies and post them on the squad web site.
The only problem is, I don't know where to start. I'd like to have a system and look all our own, and was wondering how some of the squads out there that do this kind of thing, get the ball rolling.

I was with the 412th Braunco Mustangs for a stretch and really liked the way they do theirs. I want something like that but at the same time a bit different and unique for the *NDM*.

If anyone has any experience in starting something like this, I'd sure like to hear from you. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:salute

www.jg77.org
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
Back in AW is was in a squad that had ranks - Capt., Lt. etc.  Caused no end of friction, most notably when the CO had a few drinks andIi cleared his six and got promoted way above my skill level.   Squad was otherwise great but ranks quickly became a problem.  
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
http://vf17.org/

VF-17 does this also, Shifty could better explain details maybe if needed it but you can check out the flight deck then click on a pilot page that has their Rank FSO ribbons, Medals, Kill Streaks and Plane profile. Shifty and Wolfie do a great job of putting those together.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »
The only rank or award in the 80th is PLO  "Permanent Latrine Orderly".  It's bounced between Mensa and Shuffler most often :)

CO rank is considered "Conscientious Objector"

FL = "Fleeing Loudly"  This is held by Soulyss

While considered the CO at times, I prefer the rank of DO= "Dying Often"
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
Thank you for the replys! I really looking forward to getting this started.

Also I have a question for the VF-15. In the past I've seen some certificates that I believe Saxman made for something that had to do with FSO. I was wondering how he did that, and how hard is it to do?
Lighten up Francis

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 06:22:26 PM »
Thank you for the replys! I really looking forward to getting this started.

Also I have a question for the VF-15. In the past I've seen some certificates that I believe Saxman made for something that had to do with FSO. I was wondering how he did that, and how hard is it to do?
this is our squad page
http://home.comcast.net/~vf15satansplaymates/
we are currently changing the way we award our squad and as of yet, I don't know how we are going to do it.  AKP is the one you want to talk too tho.
this is our awards as currently set up/
http://home.comcast.net/~vf15satansplaymates/awards.htm
and my collection as of last tour.
Flying since tour 71.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »
I really like that layout Whiskey.  :aok  I will try to contact AKP about this.  I'm wondering where everyone gets the medals and ribbons. Is there some data base or web site they're downloaded from or are they actually designed by the players?
Lighten up Francis

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:01:50 PM »
I had no idea that squads actually did ranks and medals and such.  I'm somewhat astounded. 

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »
Back in AW is was in a squad that had ranks - Capt., Lt. etc.  Caused no end of friction, most notably when the CO had a few drinks andIi cleared his six and got promoted way above my skill level.   Squad was otherwise great but ranks quickly became a problem.  
:D

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:31:22 PM »
When I was CO of VF-17 and started it out way back in the beginning; I grabbed images from various websites that I searched for online. Also I created a few ribbons and awards within Photoshop and other programs based on things like "plankowner" (squadron founding members) and other items for flight wings for different countries and such...RN, IJN, USN, USAAF, LW, USSR...things like that helped out with our guys and kept them active and working towards a goal. I also awarded stuff like IP for Instructor Pilot and more things like that.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:10 AM »
I'm a little curious to see hear how squads handle things like this over time.  I was in a squad ages ago (different game) that did these sorts of things but after a couple months everyone had everything and it kind of lost the point. 

Do squads here just reset all the medals each tour?  It's not my intention to be critical here I'm merely curious.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 07:02:24 AM »
I'm a little curious to see hear how squads handle things like this over time.  I was in a squad ages ago (different game) that did these sorts of things but after a couple months everyone had everything and it kind of lost the point.  

Do squads here just reset all the medals each tour?  It's not my intention to be critical here I'm merely curious.

Well I can only speak to how the 412th did/does it as it's the only squad I've been in that does such a thing. Rank wasn't an issue as pretty much everyone was same rank with exception of MidNite,SkatSr,and dTango. They were the brass and in charge. Everyone else was 2nd Lts. Or there abouts.
The medals and ribbons were awarded for things like the most kills that tour in P51, highest K/D, most base captures, most kills in 1 sortie, showing good wingman tactics...etc.
For me it was fun because I had certain goals I'd try to achieve each tour. Some guys didn't care either way. But for me it was a game within a game.
On the 412th web page each pilot had their medals and ribbons they've earned since their time in the squad displayed by their name on the roster. At the end of each tour, SkatSr would send us the squad stats to see how we all did. It fun and kept things interesting.

Lighten up Francis