Author Topic: "Thanks for the Check Six"  (Read 2296 times)

Offline coola4me

• Copper Member
Re: "Thanks for the Check Six"
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 08:12:09 AM »
I busted a cap on 133 last night in a P38J, killed 6 it aleviated things to the point where more people were able to up.  The cv went down shortly after that.

UMMMM........congrats but whats that got to do with the OP  :devil!

I will give a 6 call if im not engaged or im in a GV but i DO NOT depend on getting one myself! If i get shot its my own lack of SA!
CO. 172nd Rabid Dawgs
In Game Name: coola
Panties....not the greatest thing on Earth..... but next to it!!!     ME-YOW!!!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 08:39:52 AM »
Check 6's are a privileged not a right.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
UMMMM........congrats but whats that got to do with the OP  :devil!

I will give a 6 call if im not engaged or im in a GV but i DO NOT depend on getting one myself! If i get shot its my own lack of SA!
Yeah, I never got a six call, Didnt need one because I tend to watch my own 6.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 09:11:34 AM »
I don't disagree with your point, you can't watch everyone's 6 all the time and call out every con.. but it DOES stink when you get nailed by a con you didn't know was there and look back to see the said con with 3 friendlies on HIS 6 0'clock, and NONE of them bothered to give you a call that someone had dropped in to pick you because they're all too interested in using you as bait. If you don't bother to check 6 the guy in front of the guy that you're chasing, you deserve a :middle finger:  - it's those guys that I try to remember the names of so I can purposefully fly through their bullet streams next time they're firing on a con close to me.  :)

:aok  Nothing pisses me off more.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
Naturally, this made the individual even more angry so I followed him around all night giving him errant (and completely useless) check 6s until he apologized.
Thee AH ~Hells Angels~  have a certain -ANGRY- fellow, that would be more than glad to give you check 6's  all night. To your hearts  content. :D
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:45 AM »
I usually just call out check 6 to myself.

I'll be going down in flames and over range I'll say "Check 6 Neo"  lol
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »

I don't disagree with your point, you can't watch everyone's 6 all the time and call out every con.. but it DOES stink when you get nailed by a con you didn't know was there and look back to see the said con with 3 friendlies on HIS 6 0'clock, and NONE of them bothered to give you a call that someone had dropped in to pick you because they're all too interested in using you as bait. If you don't bother to check 6 the guy in front of the guy that you're chasing, you deserve a :middle finger:  - it's those guys that I try to remember the names of so I can purposefully fly through their bullet streams next time they're firing on a con close to me.  :)
:aok thats what gets me :mad:
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »
NO DAMN, NO!

THE PROBLEM ARISES WHEN A CON IS ON YOUR SIX, SAYS 1K OR 1,4 OR 2K, AND A FRIENDLY PLAYER IS BEHIND HIM, SAYS SAME DISTANCE, BUT FRIENDLY ONE (GENERALLY SAME PEOPLE )  WAIT TO ALERT YOU UNTIL THE CON IS AT 300 YDRS FROM YOU !   :furious

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »
I'm going to file this one in the "I could have had a V8" folder....
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline jd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 09:52:29 AM »
  :O :rofl :rofl

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok

thats what im talkin bout. lol
I HAVE to try that.

You cryers need to look into a thing refered to as SA :x
Current: Slipstrm

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
here is my check 6

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mmt2jgeetut/tard 4.wav

on the subject:

your 6 your responsablility and if i am saddled up on a bandit on you 6 and you don't get one it's because i have a better chance to clear you 6 if i don't look at the keyboard to find the key and usually range is non-stop people describing every part of their sortie in a multi-con battle.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
NO DAMN, NO!

THE PROBLEM ARISES WHEN A CON IS ON YOUR SIX, SAYS 1K OR 1,4 OR 2K, AND A FRIENDLY PLAYER IS BEHIND HIM, SAYS SAME DISTANCE, BUT FRIENDLY ONE (GENERALLY SAME PEOPLE )  WAIT TO ALERT YOU UNTIL THE CON IS AT 300 YDRS FROM YOU !   :furious

:salute

Yes it happens alot, in your case he using you as BAIT, hoping the evil con is target fixated on you and sneaks to his 6 and kills him, other than that who cares, its up to you to keep a good SA and don't rely on check 6's to stay alive
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »
I personally try to give out check 6s as much as possible, but I also try to practice good SA at the same time.

EDIT: I do like having someone on my six and seeing friends behind him and not giving me a check 6, I like knowing that Im bait.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 10:40:25 AM »
I give check six as much as possible.... I really appreciate the check 6 from a respect point of view.   That being said i really like to do my own SA  it make the game more immersive for me....

<S> 
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 10:44:04 AM »
Telling someone to "Check 6" or "check it" is one of the most annoyingly stupid things in Aces High.

It provides no information, advises the pilot to do something he should be doing anyway and is plain bad advice if there is a real threat in your rear hemisphere.

It should embarass anyone that uses it.

Proper communication requires the following:

Identification, direction, information.

In other words, who you are talking to, what he should do, and why.

As an example, if I had a bandit (FW190) about to blast me to oblivion, telling me to "Check it" would only allow me to see the bandit that killed me.

Instead, if you say "Dawger, break, 190" you fulfill the requirements for good combat communication.

if the bandit is not an immediate threat one could say "Dawger, arc left, 190 long five o'clock". This tells me I'm not in immediate danger and gives me a suggested course of action.

If the nature of the threat does not require immediate action one may omit the directive portion but provide useful information. As an Example "Dawger, 190 long 5 o'clock" tells me there is a threat outside of guns range, where he is at and leaves me to decide how to proceed.

What information does "check it" give? It tells me there is a bandit somewhere in my vicinity at an unknown distance and direction. I must determine distance and direction myself and sort out exactly which bandit the call refers to in a multi-bandit fight. It is only useful to those completely without SA. Many times following the implied advice to look backwards will get you killed because you really should have been initiating a break turn instead of looking around for a bandit.

If I'm being chased by a 190 that I see and you call "Check it" I must decide if you are referring to the bandit I already know about or a new threat yet unseen. But if you call "Dawger, break, 190" I know you are referring to the bandit I am already aware of and don't have the uncertainty that the "check it" call brings with it.