Author Topic: Seems kinda simple to solve the problem with arena caps  (Read 2728 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Seems kinda simple to solve the problem with arena caps
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »
Again... hard reset. :aok

I would argue that a hard reset fixes the problem but creates a bigger problem, a daily midday massive boot.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »
 I would guess that  blue will become the new Orange.  I think RT Homes has a point....  Just might have to have hard caps to make it work.

Still  ill be in blue for two weeks   let see what happens.

<S>
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »
I would argue that a hard reset fixes the problem but creates a bigger problem, a daily midday massive boot.

I do not see that as much as a problem. We do have weekly TT resets, update resets, win the war resets, new tour resets, skuzzy-trips-a-cord-resets ;)

If you have it precisely at the same time each day, with automated countdown messages (30mins...15mins...10mins...) it shouldn't be as bad as it may seem at first - as long as the "war status" doesn't change.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
I do not see that as much as a problem. We do have weekly TT resets, update resets, win the war resets, new tour resets, skuzzy-trips-a-cord-resets ;)

If you have it precisely at the same time each day, with automated countdown messages (30mins...15mins...10mins...) it shouldn't be as bad as it may seem at first - as long as the "war status" doesn't change.

Yeah, I guess as long as the war status doesn't change and there is a visible countdown giving at least half an hour of warning.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »
Since Murdr in a drunken haze left me as the temporary CO of the 479th, I will gladly offer my squadron to help with this endeavor.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »
I'll help out as well.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
Our squad always goes to LWBlue. The only problem is we have only 2 other guys besides myself that play during the week.  :(
Lighten up Francis

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Grizz, the main thing  I was pointing to was the notion that "I can't get into the arena!"  "I can't fly with my squaddies!"

HTC is clear that the system is here to stay.  So how do we take what we have in squads and make the best possible outcome.  As the crowd wants to gravitate to the crowd, regardless of the impact, it's going to take some of us creating a separate crowd.  If Blue developed a different identity based on squads that called it home, it just might even out the balance in numbers.

To Rapier.  I think you are forgetting when there were numerous RR1, RR2, RR3 along with FR in Airwarrior.  Identical maps but different squads populated the different identical arenas  The style of play in those arenas were often determined by the style of the regular squads in them.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 08:19:56 PM »
As a further incentive to induce squadrons to make Blue their home, I will offer up a date with Mensa for any squadron that moves to Blue on a permanent basis.

In case you guys forgot what Mensa looked like, this is a photo she posted awhile back on the S.A.P.P forum.

ack-ack

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »
Mensa's a hawt chick?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline MrMeanie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »
As a further incentive to induce squadrons to make Blue their home, I will offer up a date with Mensa for any squadron that moves to Blue on a permanent basis.

In case you guys forgot what Mensa looked like, this is a photo she posted awhile back on the S.A.P.P forum.

(Image removed from quote.)

ack-ack
:O :joystick:
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Cmon Kazaa, telling me to open my eyes doesn't address legitimate points I have made.

Off hours, there really is no problem with the game, other than the fact that there flat out sometimes aren't enough players logged on.  Can't fix that.  When I'm flying in Blue, the fights start disappearing around midnight.  This is result of people logging off for sleep and the domino effect of people heading over to the more populated arena.  And why not, Late at night, I'd rather play in an arena with 150 people than one with 15 milk runners.  Everyone should be in the same arena at these off hours times.  People that want to dogfight are always able to find bases to fight at, that's never been an issue.  

As far as flying with squaddies, any squadron can make a commitment to blue on their own.  Blue is usually not capped out, and there are always great fights in there during prime time hours.  Blue, however, is not immune to being capped itself.  

The main problem with caps is when they first initiate, this 'solution' will not fix the main problem.  It doesn't even address it.  During peak hours, it is usually not hard to get into either arena of your choosing as Guppy has already pointed out:

It's just not a problem.

I understand that we're never going to escape arena caps, but If we could turn Blue into the more populated arena than wouldn't it be justified? That alone would make playing off peak much more enjoyable for the reasons stated previous.

It's worth a try in my eyes, that's if enough squadrons are willing to partake.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:55:07 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »
Actually AW split arenas on game play types, ie. Full Real, Relaxed Real, etc., not along squad turf lines.

I think the difficult part is guaranteeing critical mass for good game play. I don't think that can be done now. I have to agree with Grizz, I don't want to be standing on the sidelines when I could be playing. The play should be efficient, that is, a person shouldn't have to fly 12 sectors to get to a fight between the other two countries.  

I think you're forgetting about the RRpac1, RRpac2, RReto1,RReto2 FRpac etc. Each was distinctly it's own arena and if, for instance you lived in RRpac2 you didn't go to RRpac1 even though the  terrain was identical. Your "people" both friend and foe were in RRpac2, or what ever arena you flew in.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »
Mensa's a hawt chick?

As hot as a chick with a lazy eye and peg leg can be.

ack-ack

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
I think you're forgetting about the RRpac1, RRpac2, RReto1,RReto2 FRpac etc. Each was distinctly it's own arena and if, for instance you lived in RRpac2 you didn't go to RRpac1 even though the  terrain was identical. Your "people" both friend and foe were in RRpac2, or what ever arena you flew in.

That is what I'm remembering.  Communities within the larger community.  
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters