Author Topic: Sherman DD  (Read 2347 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Sherman DD
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
Oh, and as to its sinking:

Perhaps have .50's and 20mm's do little to it, but 30/37mm cannons will sink it in 7-8 hits, and anything larger will sink it in one shot?

IDK what a good number will be, or how HTC will show that holes 1/4" in radius ABOVE the water line will have little effect on it. I'm just tossing ideas out there.
Well each bullet hitting the tank will probably bounce off the hull & would make a second hole. 20MM shell entering skirt hits tank hull & explodes would cause multiple tears in skirt as they bounce off the hull. Tank pushing through water with that pressure on the torn hull I would say it would tear it open even more. If one of the horizontal bands in that canvas was damaged the whole structure would fail.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:58:59 PM by lyric1 »

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »
Phatzo, the TANK was a piece of crappy american engineering.
crappy american engineering? NO... more along the lines of tank drivers who have never studied wave motions or any nautical physics causing them to capsize before making it ashore. many DDs landed on the British and Commonwealth Beaches
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »
many DDs landed on the British and Commonwealth Beaches
Might have something to do with that they drive on the correct side of the road? :D

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »
Might have something to do with that they drive on the correct side of the road? :D
ouch :confused: :lol :bolt:
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Asside from danny, who appears to have atempted to take a shot at this thread, it seems everyone is all for them.

OK HTC, go ahead and add it in the next update  :D.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 05:09:09 PM »
Well each bullet hitting the tank will probably bounce off the hull & would make a second hole. 20MM shell entering skirt hits tank hull & explodes would cause multiple tears in skirt as they bounce off the hull. Tank pushing through water with that pressure on the torn hull I would say it would tear it open even more. If one of the horizontal bands in that canvas was damaged the whole structure would fail.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 06:37:46 PM »
While the tank was in the water with the skirt deployed, any plane with a machine gun could take it out.  All anyone would need to do is destroy the skirt and you've got an underwater Sherman pillbox.  Total waste of development time and resources.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »
Well yes ack ack. They would be easy to take out. Then again, M3s shouldn't stop HE rounds, or produce ricochets regardless of the angle and area. Ack guns should be killed by a few .30 hits (representing crew kills). And most tanks should die in one succesful penertation of the armor. The bulkhead would keep fire from engine damage out of the crew compartment for a while, but eventually ammo will start to cook off.

The game is full of unrealistic crap, and stuff that should be deemed a waste of resources (WW1 arena, IMO), and yet we still have it. Its how you pick and choose, remember.

And my bet is that people would find tactics that work with them, just as most kills using the M4A3(75) (that I've seen) are made or started by damaging the turret, and then damaging the engine/killing the tank when it turns to run. After that, they seem to scoot away as fast as they can, which is a smart decision given their firepower.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »
How many DD where made for amphibious invasion? Or more like how many amphibious invasion was it in?   One? Two? Five?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »
It was TOOK PART in one invasion, but more were built than the wirb. Since we have that, there is no argument asside from lack of use to keep it out of the game. And how much actuall combat did the M8 see? How much actuall combat the the Ta-152 see? I think the official record is 9 kills for the Ta-152, correct?

There is no real, solid reason for excluding it from the game. Won't likely see much use against any base with a friendly spawn leading into it, but if the carrier fighters  manage to hold the enemy planes at arms reach from a strip of water 100yds wide, a large number of them will make it to the beach.

Remember I also suggested landing them  two miles or so up the coast, and letting them drive down to the base. I think thats a viable tactic, it will be time consuming and will give the enemy some warning. But if you do your job right, you don't need to shell the entire base down before showing dar.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »

There is no real, solid reason for excluding it from the game. Won't likely see much use against any base with a friendly spawn leading into it, but if the carrier fighters  manage to hold the enemy planes at arms reach from a strip of water 100yds wide, a large number of them will make it to the beach.

There's no real, solid reason to waste development time and resources to add it to the game. 

ack-ack

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »
Stopping our LVT's, and Troops from being butcherd on the beach by supperior fire power seams to be a VERY good reason, and just happens to be the historical reason the DD's where developed in the first place.

Still vote yes. :aok
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 06:27:44 PM »
There ya go Ack-Ack, if you won't listen to me, then listen to stephen.

The way it is now, carrier borne GV's have ABSOLUTELY no AT capabilities on their own. They must rely on the aircraft, or the window of time it takes for fighters/GV's to reach the base under attack when the 8" guns drop the hangers.

Honestly Ack-Ack, just model the skirt, the rudder, and have it "drive" like an LVT. Add a button that lowers the skirt, and you're done. I find it hard to imagine that it would take more than a few days to make unless HTC is much more poorly organized than I think.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
Stopping our LVT's, and Troops from being butcherd on the beach by supperior fire power seams to be a VERY good reason, and just happens to be the historical reason the DD's where developed in the first place.

Still vote yes. :aok

I dearly hope that you are joking.  If not, have fun Ack-Ack
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »
There ya go Ack-Ack, if you won't listen to me, then listen to stephen.

The way it is now, carrier borne GV's have ABSOLUTELY no AT capabilities on their own. They must rely on the aircraft, or the window of time it takes for fighters/GV's to reach the base under attack when the 8" guns drop the hangers.

Then request the LVT4s be given the historically correct option of being able to select AP rounds in addition to HE rounds.

Honestly Ack-Ack, just model the skirt, the rudder, and have it "drive" like an LVT. Add a button that lowers the skirt, and you're done. I find it hard to imagine that it would take more than a few days to make unless HTC is much more poorly organized than I think.

The above comment really shows how little you know of what it entails to add any new feature to a game, regardless of how "simple" you think it may be.

ack-ack