Author Topic: Sherman DD  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Sherman DD
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
Yes, this again. We have the M4(75) up and running now, so I don't imagine that it would be too hard to add this. Just something a bit more survivable to spawn up on the beaches and that can take out a tank if you get lucky, you know.

Won't be able to fire and it will be hidesouly vulnerable to anything with a cannon when its in the water, seeing as it will be even slower than the LVT's we have now (4.6 mph).

Have it be driven by the commander using the rudder keys (like you can with LVT's) and just model the tiller moving to the left when you hit the "A" key, and to the right when you hit the "D" key.

Doesn't sound like it will too hard to defend against if you're on the ball. Perhaps move your CV in close to shore a couple miles up shore from the base and land your tanks there. May increase survivability to get them up on shore before the fighting starts.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline whipster22

• Nickel Member
Re: Sherman DD
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:08:49 PM »
+1
just dewbing up the bbs
baby seal

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »
Duo Drive would open up some extra gameplay +1
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:27 PM »
Single shell to the skirt of any gun & down she will go.?? So long as we get to see them go all the way under :aok Count me in.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »
I doubt that any type of shell would detonate on the canvas itself. And don't forget that a good portion would be under water, so only the above water level portions would be able to be hit (based on our water, which is as solid as concrete).

But past that, i can think of no reason they wouldn't be sunk by a cannon. I doubt that holes from .50's or even 20mm would be enough to come right out and sink it though. But its upto HTC to decide.

Please HTC, add the Sherman DD. Its a crappy little piece of american engineering that floats and poses no real threat to anything but a panzer. It can't hurt to add it.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
Hobarts funnies were English engineering. Lets have the AVRE as well.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »
Hobarts funnies were English engineering. Lets have the AVRE as well.
i'd love to get an AVRE tank
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:15:06 AM »
Yes!  Some offensive punch via the sea would be fun.  They would be low in the water and not as easy to hit, decent enough armor to protect it from some of the AP, but slow and quite useless in the water.  It would be nice to have though!    

A Churchill AVRE with the 290mm Petard mortar would be a hoot.  It would have the range of about 200 yards (iirc) and trajectory of a dropped bowling ball, but none the less it would be fun to use.  
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:30:24 AM »
Yes!  Some offensive punch via the sea would be fun.  They would be low in the water and not as easy to hit, decent enough armor to protect it from some of the AP, but slow and quite useless in the water.  It would be nice to have though!    

A Churchill AVRE with the 290mm Petard mortar would be a hoot.  It would have the range of about 200 yards (iirc) and trajectory of a dropped bowling ball, but none the less it would be fun to use.  
lets think...2 to take town down? :D
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
It would be nice to FINALY have a good punch when hitting the beach in this game, some type of Lvt with anti aircraft on board would be even nicer...
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »
Yeah, that looks very useful

Looks like a great slow moving target.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 02:27:51 PM »
It would be nice to FINALY have a good punch when hitting the beach in this game, some type of Lvt with anti aircraft on board would be even nicer...
That's called a PT boat.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
Phatzo, the TANK was a piece of crappy american engineering.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 08:36:50 PM »
Oh, and as to its sinking:

Perhaps have .50's and 20mm's do little to it, but 30/37mm cannons will sink it in 7-8 hits, and anything larger will sink it in one shot?

IDK what a good number will be, or how HTC will show that holes 1/4" in radius ABOVE the water line will have little effect on it. I'm just tossing ideas out there.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 08:49:17 PM »
Yes, this again. We have the M4(75) up and running now, so I don't imagine that it would be too hard to add this. Just something a bit more survivable to spawn up on the beaches and that can take out a tank if you get lucky, you know.

Won't be able to fire and it will be hidesouly vulnerable to anything with a cannon when its in the water, seeing as it will be even slower than the LVT's we have now (4.6 mph).

Have it be driven by the commander using the rudder keys (like you can with LVT's) and just model the tiller moving to the left when you hit the "A" key, and to the right when you hit the "D" key.

Doesn't sound like it will too hard to defend against if you're on the ball. Perhaps move your CV in close to shore a couple miles up shore from the base and land your tanks there. May increase survivability to get them up on shore before the fighting starts.

and can we have them sink at the slightest breeze, oo ooo and and can we have Mulberry Harbours for when the rotters have scorched earthed the ports, and I'd like to see JU87 Tank Crackers with 88mm underwing cannon, and I want them rocket grappling hooks the Rangers had on D Day and....

Sorry. I'll take myself off to bed again :salute
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright