Author Topic: What's the next setup?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: What's the next setup?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »
The issue of fuel burn is always an interesting one.

On the surface the compression of the map horizontally would make increasing the fuel burn rate obvious.

But that doesn't account for the lack of compression vertically. Of course, at the altitudes most in AH fly the vertical issue is largely irrelevant. Large increases in fuel burn, large enough to affect long range American fighters significantly adversely impair the short range Axis and British fighters unreasonably. The end result is the Axis flies around their own airfields waiting for the fight to come to them when the fuel burn modifier is set too high.

The only real solution is a fuel modifier setting for each aircraft type but imagine the howls that would cause.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
Hey Dawger, you got that write up ready?

Don't sweat the tables and stuff...just write down how you want it and let's see if we can get it run next week.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Plane and vehicle distribution
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
The map has several distinct geographic areas.

Italy, Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia, Tunisia, Malta and Valletta.

Here is how I would place aircraft and vehicles for each geographic area.

Jeep for both sides at all fields

Italy-Axis
Airfields-Ju88, Ju87, 109G6, 190A5,C202, C205
Vehicle- Panzer, Tiger
Ports-Panzer, Tiger

Italy-Allied
Airfields-P40B, P40E, Hurricane IIC, Spit V
Vehicle- Sherman
Ports-Sherman

Sicily-Axis
Airfields-Ju87, 109G6, 190A5,C202, C205
Vehicle- Panzer, Tiger
Ports-Panzer, Tiger

Sicily-Allied
Vehicle- Sherman
Ports-Sherman

Tunisia-Axis
Airfields-109G6, 190A5,C202, C205
Vehicle- Panzer, Tiger
Ports-Panzer, Tiger

Tunisia-Allied
Airfields-B17G, A-20, B25C, B-25H,B26, Boston, P38G, P40B, P40E, Hurricane IIC, Spit V
Vehicle- Sherman
Ports-Sherman

Malta-Axis
Vehicle- Panzer, Tiger
Ports-Panzer, Tiger

Malta-Allied
Airfields-A-20, B25C,B26, Boston, P38G, P40B, P40E, Hurricane IIC, Spit V
Vehicle- Sherman
Ports-Sherman

Valleta-Axis
Vehicle- Panzer, Tiger
Ports-Panzer, Tiger

Valleta-Allied
Airfields-A-20, B25C,B26, Boston, P38G, P40B, P40E, Hurricane IIC, Spit V
Vehicle- Sherman
Ports-Sherman

Sardinia-Axis
Airfields-Ju88, Ju87, 109G6, 190A5,C202, C205
Vehicle- Panzer, Tiger
Ports-Panzer, Tiger

Sardinia-Allied
Vehicle- Sherman
Ports-Sherman

Corsica and Northern Italy don't really need any planes or vehicles enabled as the fight should be no where near there but Corsica would mirror Sardinia if it was desired to put the aircaft everywhere.

My only question is the C-47. If the Axis push the Allies back into the sea the C-47 should be somewhere to allow the Allied to get back on the island. Either the CM would have to just reset the arena in this case because that is technically a victory for the Axis or the C47 could be put at A25 in Tunisia, allowing the allies the ability to create another airborne assault as was the case on July 10, 1943 but not so close that folks are flying C-47's to capture bases in Italy.

The other question is settings that allow for base capture but make it hard for one person to do it by themselves. I think everyone here frowns upon the army of one capturing bases. My preferred method of achieving this used to be upping the number of troops required to the point the base reopened before a single player could possibly deliver enough troops to capture. This, of course, requires suitable down times

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
Hey Dawger, you got that write up ready?

Don't sweat the tables and stuff...just write down how you want it and let's see if we can get it run next week.

When do you want the write up?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »
If your allied planeset is lacking, you might include the Seafire as a sub for a Spit5C, because it has the 240 rounds of hispano but otherwise has identical performance charts to AH's spit5b.

Naturally it's not exactly the same, a bit heavier, but if folks want choice it might be a better option against the 109s.

P.S. Chilli the Pony really is not related to the A-36 Apache, in any way. It looks the same, but when they put that Merlin engine it, it became a totally different plane. It's like comparing an F4F to an F4U. The P-40E is really a good match. The top speeds are almost identical and the FTH is about the same alt. A-36 top speed was 365 mph at about 15k or so. Check the charts for AH's P-40E. You might be surprised.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:39:27 PM by Krusty »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Plane and vehicle distribution
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
The map has several distinct geographic areas.

One of the things to remember about all setups is that you do have to provide for the third country.  All AH2 maps require that three countries be present, so you try to squirrel the odd guys off into a corner somewhere.  Because:  some wag will often wander into the arena, capture the "neutral" country's base and/or capital, and instantly pork the map (even though he probably thought he was just about to win the war). 

I mention this only because I've found it more difficult to do on the Italy map.

- oldman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
Thanks Krusty and all.  I have been looking over the comparison charts.  I actually fly the P40 against much wider performance gaps in the MA.  I have also seen this setup before with the planesets.  When it gets played out in the arena P40s will simply be a hangar queen.  Fine by me.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: Plane and vehicle distribution
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »
One of the things to remember about all setups is that you do have to provide for the third country.  All AH2 maps require that three countries be present, so you try to squirrel the odd guys off into a corner somewhere.  Because:  some wag will often wander into the arena, capture the "neutral" country's base and/or capital, and instantly pork the map (even though he probably thought he was just about to win the war). 

I mention this only because I've found it more difficult to do on the Italy map.

- oldman

I saw that the strats in northern italy and the city on corsica stayed knight  so I was planning on making all of Corsica and the northern half of Italy knight for the neutral country to avoid any weirdness.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »
I saw that the strats in northern italy and the city on corsica stayed knight  so I was planning on making all of Corsica and the northern half of Italy knight for the neutral country to avoid any weirdness.

if you did that, is there anyway to make certian bases and/or Capital/HQ for the neutral country "uncapturable"...... to prevent the Arena/ The Map from becoming porked???....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »
if you did that, is there anyway to make certian bases and/or Capital/HQ for the neutral country "uncapturable"...... to prevent the Arena/ The Map from becoming porked???....

I'm brand new at this, but there doesn't seem to be a capture or no capture setting, You can harden object settings or require a ridiculous number of troops to make bases virtually uncapturable, but they seem to be all or nothing settings, IE: you can't change variables for one country alone.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
You can harden object settings or require a ridiculous number of troops to make bases virtually uncapturable

Note that this would also prevent captures among the fields you WANT capturable. It's not country-specific.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
Note that this would also prevent captures among the fields you WANT capturable. It's not country-specific.

Exactly.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »
I'm brand new at this, but there doesn't seem to be a capture or no capture setting, You can harden object settings or require a ridiculous number of troops to make bases virtually uncapturable, but they seem to be all or nothing settings, IE: you can't change variables for one country alone.

He's brand new but he's a gifted learner.  The above statement is correct.  In addition, you can't make any one base more difficult to capture than the others (except the HQs - and the setting governs all three countries' HQs).

- oldman

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »

The easiest way to prevent this in this particular setup is to just not enable troop carrying vehicles anywhere near the neutral bases.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 09:12:45 PM »

Yes there is.  I used it when I did the Campaign Series stuff.  The map guys need to feed a file to Skuzzy, you just tell them what bases you don't want to be captured and then you turn it on in the arena settings.  Puts the red square around the base and you can't take it.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane