Author Topic: June '10 KOTH results.  (Read 4104 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
June '10 KOTH results.
« on: June 18, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
   June's FriKOTH was short and sweet, for TonyJoey at least. The event only lasted about an hour at had a fairly good attendance of just over 30. It was a minimal event with the absolute minimum of rounds at three and just a single Wabbit trying to go for the natural win, which he did. We surely need a training session on wabbit hunting!!!
    Congratulations and <S> to TonyJoey for the win!!!  The D3A1 was chosen for July's first crate.

Round by round results.
1] TonyJoey in a Me 163b
2] TonyJoey in a P-51B   (Wabbit)
3] TonyJoey wins in a Brewster B-239

Tournament Of Champions invitations will be reserved for:
KOTH: TonyJoey

Top five killers were: TonyJoey- 12; kvuo75-6; perdweeb, JanneK-5; TwinTail-4.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: June '10 KOTH results.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:45:36 AM »
We surely need a training session on wabbit hunting!!!

12) NO WINGING! (dog piling on a 2-timer is NOT winging)
  * Winging is a coordinated attack on a single plane or when engaged with multiple targets passing up obvious shots or maneuvering deliberately away from 1 person to get the other first.
  * Can dogpile the Wabbit ONLY!
  * Can't pass up fights to get to the wabbit!

This last rule confuses me slightly.  How do you differentiate between the closest fight and needing to kill the wabbit if he is say the second closest fight?  No way am I going to engage the nearest guy for the Wabbit to pick our fight.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:00:39 AM »
12) NO WINGING! (dog piling on a 2-timer is NOT winging)
  * Winging is a coordinated attack on a single plane or when engaged with multiple targets passing up obvious shots or maneuvering deliberately away from 1 person to get the other first.
  * Can dogpile the Wabbit ONLY!

This last rule confuses me slightly.  How do you differentiate between the closest fight and needing to kill the wabbit if he is say the second closest fight?  No way am I going to engage the nearest guy for the Wabbit to pick our fight.

The rule doesn't make much sense.  

A better rule would be.. You can only bypass a fight to get to the wabbit if you are within icon range.  If you aren't in icon range, you have to go to the closest fight.

Although I doubt Dogg or Fuzeman would be too thrilled with modifying a rule that could potentially cause KOTH to go longer.  And I don't blame them, but I think it would be a better rule.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:50 AM »
You still have to fly to and engage the closest contact or engagement. If that engagement happens to contain a Wabbit, when you get to that fight, you can gang the wabbit.
You mention the second closest fight, well then you should engage the first closer fight. If the wabbit does enter your fight, you and whomever was in that fight can then gang the wabbit, and should.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 03:23:51 AM »
You still have to fly to and engage the closest contact or engagement. If that engagement happens to contain a Wabbit, when you get to that fight, you can gang the wabbit.
You mention the second closest fight, well then you should engage the first closer fight. If the wabbit does enter your fight, you and whomever was in that fight can then gang the wabbit, and should.

rgr that Fuze  :salute

congrats TJ!  next years TOC is going to be well exciting  :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:28:03 AM »
(not to muddy the waters <waves at fuzeman> but..)

Couldn't one use the 30 second rule to extend towards where the Wabbit is fighting and then kill da' Wabbit?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:37:35 AM »
(not to muddy the waters <waves at fuzeman> but..)

Couldn't one use the 30 second rule to extend towards where the Wabbit is fighting and then kill da' Wabbit?

I guess if you extended for 30 seconds and the wabbit was then the closest contact or engagement, then yes. I would have to say though that the wabbit contact or engagement would have to be fairly close anyway and not 30.1 seconds away.
These opinions of mine are just that, mine.
The KOTH Team lead, AKDogg, could come in and have his opinion which could be different and then we'd have to have a discussion and settle things officially.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 07:57:25 AM »
We've discussed this in the past (you, me, Dogg) and IIRC we decided that if you can get to the other fight within the 30 seconds it is a valid tactic.  I remember you/I talking at length about this rule when we created it and this has always been a 'loophole' in the rule.  As long as you merge after extending you are "ok".  It doesn't really matter WHO you merge with as long as it is in that 30 second window.

You can travel quite far in 30 seconds and as long as you merge with the Wabbit within' that 30 sec. it is within the rules.

(I miss hunting wabbits...)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »
WTFG TJ, now trying doing that in a ToC event. :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
NJ Bruv,  :devil

Just wait till this year Kaz!  :airplane:

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »

This last rule confuses me slightly.  How do you differentiate between the closest fight and needing to kill the wabbit if he is say the second closest fight?  No way am I going to engage the nearest guy for the Wabbit to pick our fight.

1st off, congrats TJ... most excellent flying......

now to address Bruv's question.... when starting a round or during a round, knowing their is a wabbit or maybe even (2) wabbits.... (2) players can not approach the same wabbit and be in view of each other, they must fight or call no joy and fly opposite directions.... or come at the wabbit from different directions....

I got caught up in one of these with someone ( forgive me please, I forgot who it was ) and I called nojoy and so did he, I noticed him on my low 5 3k back heading to the same wabbit I was going after..... it completely hosed that round for me/him and I think the wabbit as well. nothing was fair for any of us....

hope that helps...
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
I might be a little slow on the up take here.

What if  wabbit is  6k away and I call no joy on a player who is 2k from me.   We then both proceed to go after the wabbit?
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »
I might be a little slow on the up take here.

What if  wabbit is  6k away and I call no joy on a player who is 2k from me.   We then both proceed to go after the wabbit?

that is near exactly the issue i ran into...... one of you must fly away from the wabbit or cancel the nojoy......... I had called nojoy and was heading to the wabbit, so did they..... 2 attacking a wabbit but are nojoy'ed against each other creats a conflict....

is why when nojoy is called you should fly away from each in opposite directions and should not engage the same "1st" opponent once fight on, is called.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »
Remember...

NoJoy is OPTIONAL.

There is no rule you HAVE To call NoJoy on each other.

(edit:  To expand on this idea a bit...

If you and another player are both inbound to the Wabbit and call NoJoy on each other (which you don't have to do) that means one attacks da' Wabbit and the other has to find another fight.  The non-Wabbit attacker then ends up fighting someone inbound to kill da' Wabbit and this gives the Wabbit the option to now have two 1 on 1 fights in a row as opposed to getting ganged by 3 players.

In other words if you do NOT call NoJoy the Wabbit now has to fight both of you, and that 3rd player inbound.  Wabbits need to be ganged and killed without mercy.)

(I really need to fly KOTH again if for no other reason than to teach people proper Wabbit Hunting techniques)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:44:29 AM by WMLute »
— George Patton

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 10:20:57 AM »
but surely if the opportunity arises to gang the wabbit it must be taken. 

Nobody cares about the wabbit it must be killed!
The Few ***
F.P.H