Author Topic: America at the World Cup?  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: America at the World Cup?
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
Hopefully now USA can put some capital into youth development and schools for the club level so kids 12+ can be discovered and be professionals early on.  We need to close the gap at the youth level and turn out world class players before the age of 20.  Between the ages of 8-12, these kids have to be identified.

First off I hate soccer with a passion...well not really the sport but the people associated with it and the attitude you get when you say you don't like it. With that said I gotta step in here from a rules side in having been working with the state of Alabama in getting a sport recognized (lacrosse) to be played at the high school level.

From what I know FIFA does not allow government to run the teams that go to the World Cup. As for the US putting "some capital into youth development and schools for the club level" I do know that in many states; if not all state high school athletic associations; do not allow more than a few kids from each high school and middle/junior high to play on the same club teams outside of the regular season.

Locally kids aren't playing soccer when they get past 6th grade...they are going back to playing other sports like baseball, lacrosse, football, basketball because the soccer queens are burning these kids out with travel tournaments all over the US before they even get old enough to be "discovered".

The other reason for this is they don't want inappropriate funding and other such things happening because then that will cause these players to not be allowed to move on to the collegiate level. AND the local schools could get fined up into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. This recently happened to several high schools for baseball and basketball around the USA. Simply because of AAU basketball and travel baseball teams playing entire high school teams year round.

By then I hope that the MLS (get rid of that name) can pay these players a decent salary to keep youth interested in the sport. 

Man I wish i had $500 million laying around.....

Yeah if I had $500 million laying around I damn sure wouldn't waste it on some dipdunk soccer queen.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2010, 01:05:10 AM »
First off I hate soccer with a passion...well not really the sport but the people associated with it and the attitude you get when you say you don't like it. With that said I gotta step in here from a rules side in having been working with the state of Alabama in getting a sport recognized (lacrosse) to be played at the high school level.

From what I know FIFA does not allow government to run the teams that go to the World Cup. As for the US putting "some capital into youth development and schools for the club level" I do know that in many states; if not all state high school athletic associations; do not allow more than a few kids from each high school and middle/junior high to play on the same club teams outside of the regular season.

Locally kids aren't playing soccer when they get past 6th grade...they are going back to playing other sports like baseball, lacrosse, football, basketball because the soccer queens are burning these kids out with travel tournaments all over the US before they even get old enough to be "discovered".

The other reason for this is they don't want inappropriate funding and other such things happening because then that will cause these players to not be allowed to move on to the collegiate level. AND the local schools could get fined up into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. This recently happened to several high schools for baseball and basketball around the USA. Simply because of AAU basketball and travel baseball teams playing entire high school teams year round.

Yeah if I had $500 million laying around I damn sure wouldn't waste it on some dipdunk soccer queen.

I am not talking about funding public schools for soccer.  I am talking about soccer schools inside a professional club of soccer, ie DC united and Galaxy ect...  The whole idea of the school, which by the way is the norm in developed leagues (Italy, England, Brazil, ect...) is not just the physical side of it but the tactical and strategic side of the game of "how it should" be played.  It is no different that professional baseball team who happen to have their own junior professional leagues from ages 16+ to bridge them from youth to pro levels (AAA, AA, A, big leagues).  Fact is, the University/college system of advancing sports does not work like basketball, hockey and football.  From the ages of 17-21, the prospect at the European leagues when they step on the pitch are already well versed on field tactics, as well as physical skill.

American soccer players for the large part have the physical gifts but lag behind the tactical side by an average of 5-7 years because of the university system.

I do agree with you about the travel burnouts though.  In fact, the youth academies have changed that part to less match play and travel to focus on more skill training and classroom instruction.

But I'd be careful on calling the sport of soccer a dipdunk queen sport.  Lacrosse seems a bit silly to me in comparison to soccer and certainly is not remotely close in viability as a professional sportm ie corporate sponsors.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2010, 02:45:53 AM »
Academies are a great idea, my own club was one of the first to set one up and currently has about 200 kids on the books. theres usually a few of our academy players in the first team, including our captain. best thing is you dont have to pay another club to sign em up :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2010, 06:07:19 AM »
Soccer will never catch on in the US. Hardly anyone knew we had a soccer team in the world cup...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2010, 06:24:02 AM »
thats strange because a Pew Research poll found after the USA/England game 11% of americans were "following the world cup closely", and ESPN got over 6 million watching USA Algeria on cable and over a million online, a game which started at 7-10am. I imagine the figures will have been even higher when USA reached the final 16 ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2010, 06:37:56 AM »
thats strange because a Pew Research poll found after the USA/England game 11% of americans were "following the world cup closely", and ESPN got over 6 million watching USA Algeria on cable and over a million online, a game which started at 7-10am. I imagine the figures will have been even higher when USA reached the final 16 ...

Not my point, I followed my countries team to see how they did. Only 7 million people watched the world cup game, what about the other 300 million people?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
that was just ESPN, ABC and Univision reported 17m for USA England, pretty healthy I'd say.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »
Full time, maybe next ime.

Full time, maybe next time.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2010, 12:44:05 PM »
oh well, it was a good run.......

next time, hopefully
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
that was just ESPN, ABC and Univision reported 17m for USA England, pretty healthy I'd say.

ESPN and ABC are the same in the sports television market due to ownership and Univision who knows who owns them but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are partnering with ABC/ESPN.

I can only think of about 4 friends who were soccer queens in school who were watching or keeping up with the World Cup. My son was interested only enough to check the score for the US team games.

I didn't call soccer a dipdunk queen sport...I said I "sure wouldn't waste it on some dipdunk soccer queen."
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
Not my point, I followed my countries team to see how they did. Only 7 million people watched the world cup game, what about the other 300 million people?

Incorrect point of view.  This game is followed nearly double of what it was 10 years ago.  The soccer league here is averaging 16,000 per match and growing. 

In fairness, not too many nations have 300 million people.  so you can't use that as your premise, especially when there are football, basketball, hockey and baseball in the mix.  Give it 10 more years and this figure will grow again.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »
Academies are a great idea, my own club was one of the first to set one up and currently has about 200 kids on the books. theres usually a few of our academy players in the first team, including our captain. best thing is you dont have to pay another club to sign em up :aok

May I ask what club?

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »
Bristol City, championship side :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2010, 06:30:24 PM »
Bristol City, championship side :)
Bristol City, rhyming slang  :aok
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »
(SOMEBODY is just bitter that Greece is out...)

lol, the difference between US and Greece was that we did not play a team with a British goal keeper  :P

Ohh, and no crying at the end of the game  :O
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:42:51 AM by dedalos »
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.