Author Topic: Saitek x52 joystick and trim controls  (Read 900 times)

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
Saitek x52 joystick and trim controls
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:04:25 PM »
I mapped my trim controls to the knobs on the throttle of my x52 but when I go to fly they don't respond.  I tried calibrating the axes individually and still no go.  Any advice on how to make them work?  They show up on the controller map as being mapped correctly.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Saitek x52 joystick and trim controls
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:12:25 AM »
Are you using the Saitek Control Manager software?

EDIT:  By the way Hatrick, I did catch a glimpse of your post over at the FA boards, but I had just gotten back from vacation and catching up.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:07:05 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 08:22:52 AM »
I have the software installed but I am not using it.

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
Hey HatTrick,

I have the X52 too. When you go into the "setup" screen to setup the axis to the different trim controls, if you turn the knobs, do you see the numbers change?

Also, are you making sure to turn Combat Trim off? If I remember correctly, the game sets "Auto-Combat Trim" to ON by default, so you might be stuck having the game automatically trying to trim.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
Hey HatTrick,

I have the X52 too. When you go into the "setup" screen to setup the axis to the different trim controls, if you turn the knobs, do you see the numbers change?

Also, are you making sure to turn Combat Trim off? If I remember correctly, the game sets "Auto-Combat Trim" to ON by default, so you might be stuck having the game automatically trying to trim.

To the first question, yes, the numbers do indeed move.

On the second question, that was the first thing I did as I thought it might be the issue.  It didn't work either :(

Offline TWC_Foxnutz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »
i had some serious issues getting my x52 set-up and working in AH... if i remember correctly i had to calibrate each trim axis individually, make sure they are moving thru the whole range of motion in the map controller screen.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »
Did you calibrate the trim wheels (use the "Calibrate Axis" button in Options->Controls->Map Controllers)? 

Which specific wheels are you trying to use for trim?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
Yes, calibrated all of them.

I'm using rotary 1, rotary 2 and precision slider (how they are labeled in the Saitek profiler)

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »
By the way, are the trim controls modeled to be plane specific?  I know that not all planes had trim controls for all surfaces.  I was flying a P47 if that matters.

Offline TWC_Foxnutz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »
Yes, calibrated all of them.

I'm using rotary 1, rotary 2 and precision slider (how they are labeled in the Saitek profiler)

these are exactly the axis i set up for my trims.  and when you press ctrl+x it says combat trim off?

also i don't think the trims are plane specific.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »
For trim controls to work, you must not be in auto-pilot mode.  You must not have combat trim enabled.

For planes which do have trim for any given axis, there is a corresponding guage in the cockpit showing the trim.  I just checked with my X52, in a P38L, and all the trim functions do appear to work.

Now, if you are not using the Saitek control manager software, but have it installed, remove it.  That software will do things to the control settings, even if you only install it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »
I have never been able to get the trim knobs working on my X-52, had it 3 years, Ive done every thing I can....I just figure they are junk, the numbers move in AH set-up, but they will not stay stable. and keep bouncing around, even right after I calibrate  :(

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »
Well this is really odd.  I popped in to the offline arena, didn't change anything and they were working.  The axes were inverted on the rudder and elevator but they worked.  Another odd thing is that my rudder pedal axis was inverted from last time I played and I didn't change that either.  Anyway, everything appears to be working now, thanks all.

Offline TWC_Foxnutz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
I have never been able to get the trim knobs working on my X-52, had it 3 years, Ive done every thing I can....I just figure they are junk, the numbers move in AH set-up, but they will not stay stable. and keep bouncing around, even right after I calibrate  :(

have you tried this?
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,286655.0.html

i gently bent the pins out, just ever so slightly and then bend the ground (the round part) again just slightly out of round.  I think that solved most of my X52 woes... oh yeah that and totally removing and of the Saitek profiling software. 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
have you tried this?
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,286655.0.html

i gently bent the pins out, just ever so slightly and then bend the ground (the round part) again just slightly out of round.  I think that solved most of my X52 woes... oh yeah that and totally removing and of the Saitek profiling software. 

don't think that's  the issue, when the cord pulls out every thing stops working, I think that the x-52 is just crap and not made very well.
Looks pretty though.

actually I just looked at it, that cord that they are talking about is the cord from the stick to throttle, the throttle is what is connected via USB port, so it cannot be the problem, I do not use the X-52 stick just the throttle.

thanx for trying though :salute