Author Topic: Un-requested ENY discussion  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Un-requested ENY discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:10:08 PM »
Quoted for truth!

Switching is less painless than alot of folks seem to think it is.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »
Along with the though of more downtime for higher ENY planes, why not increase down time for other things like ordinance bunkers, radar, and fighter hangers.
Strokes

Offline iwomba

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »
If one country has superior numbers then eny should not apply to the whole map.

How many times does it happen that the countries with the lowest numbers attack a field away from the majority of players in a quiet part of the map?

Regularly.

If several gv's/aircraft are attacking a field & I am the only defender why should eny apply to the outnumbered defender?

My suggestion is to apply eny in sector quadrants dependent on the numbers. e.g if sector 19,6 has 20 rooks & only 5 nits then the 8 sectors surrounding sector 19/6 would apply eny against the rooks. As the numbers equaled then eny would fall for the rooks. If rook numbers increased then eny would increase for them.

It could not apply when a mission firsts ups but subsequent take offs would be affected.

WOMBA
9GIAP
Sydney, Australia Branch

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
I have the perfect solution to the ENY.

If the ENY goes to 6 then no more people can log into that country, you just get a message that you may log in under one of the other countries,  in other words forced side switching, then there would be no more griping about can't fly this plane or that plane.  Then you can just gripe about not being able to fly with your friends, and you will have to make friends on the new side, or for shame, now I am a Rook, Knight, or Bishop.

After all the ENY was put in place to incourage side switches in the first place.

ab8aac
out
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »
I like the idea Knite, but before I even read HiTech's post I also thought 10-30min would be a better idea. Most people would not have a problem waiting extra 30 seconds or even ~2min because the flight will probably be ~10min.
Overall  :aok

Instead of ENYing all plane. When numbers get too out of balance. just remove dweebfire...err I mean spitfires from the largest numbered sides.

That alone should get enough people to change sides to re balance the numbers again  ;)

Why you gotta hate on the spitfire? LOL  :angel:                                                                                                                                                                                               :rofl
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 12:03:54 AM »
When Im sober tommorow, Ill re-read this wishlist so I can better understand what Knite is saying. Lol.  :lol
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 03:17:41 AM »

I'm not sure how being a Rook makes any difference, as typically the Rooks are outnumbered in 1 LWMA, and are doing the outnumbering in the other when I get on.
Plus, I don't really care what country I'm on. I like to fly with other people that I know (which is truly, not that many people). I don't remember ever being told we are a "Rook" squad. I just tend to stay Rook even if none of them are around because it's easier if one of them jumps on. If you wanted to invite me over to your side of the fence, I'd be happy to play as bait for you as long as Twin or Fugi aren't on. (I did say "play bait" because that's really the only role I'm good at.  ;) )
So, instead of dismissing my idea because of what country I'm on, or what squad I'm in, is there any thoughts on the actual CONCEPT you do not, or do, agree with, or tweaks to make it better, or just flat out feel current ENY is the best?

I have ALWAYS considered the 39th my friends Knite.   TB, Fugi, Uptown, you and anyone else.   I'm just saying rather than be forced to "wait to fly", "switch".   The other countries won't have that issue and lately the Rooks have been on the "big stack".   I was dismissing your idea, as I see from where you are coming from.   But, I just think switching would be the easiest solution.

I also fly High ENY aircraft, I know a lot of you 39th guys fly 38's, 39's and 40's. 

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 09:24:17 AM »
I have ALWAYS considered the 39th my friends Knite.   TB, Fugi, Uptown, you and anyone else.   I'm just saying rather than be forced to "wait to fly", "switch".   The other countries won't have that issue and lately the Rooks have been on the "big stack".   I was dismissing your idea, as I see from where you are coming from.   But, I just think switching would be the easiest solution.
I also fly High ENY aircraft, I know a lot of you 39th guys fly 38's, 39's and 40's. 

I apologize if my response sounded confrontational. I did not mean it to be so, though re-reading it now, I can see that it kind of comes off that way.

I agree switching would be the easiest solution, but sometimes the easiest solution isn't the one followed.
I had thought by the "waiting period" it could potentially take planes out of the air (waiting for their fave aircraft to spawn), which would help even up the numbers in the air. Right now, as the less-populated country, your choice seems to be 2v1, no matter what the enemy is flying. I was just trying to think of somehting that would help more directly at the root, which is too many aircraft in the air to fight against.

Thanks all for the responses so far. =)

Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 09:56:06 AM »
I just think the idea is flawed.  A lot of people only have a liimited amount of time to play when they log in, limiting how often they can launch I don't think is a good thing.  I tend to measure my fun in an evening as a quest to get in as many fights per hour as I can most of the time, anything that limits that I don't see as a good idea.

I just think it's better to have more planes in the air to oppose people rather than programmatically limiting the number of targets.

Something just popped into my head though...

What if instead of the person clicking on the low-ENY plane and being told they have to wait for x amount of time, instead maybe they could only up low ENY planes every so often, and limit it that way?

So for example, say I log in for the evening, ENY's 20.  I say to myself, 'Hey!  I wanna up a P51D because it's the bestest!'  I up my pony.  I fly around, doing my thing, eventually get killed.  I go to up it again.  The system comes back with, 'Due to ENY restrictions, you can't up a plane with less than 20 ENY for another 45 minutes.' (specific timeouts I'm just pulling out of my backside)  And that 45 minutes starts when you end flight.  But, you can up anything over 20 ENY at any time while that runs out.

Now say I log in for the evening, ENY's 10.  I up my pony, the flight ends, and I'm allowed to reup something with less than 10 ENY in 15 minutes.  Less time for less ENY difference.  I'd get the same timeout if ENY was 20 and I upped an ENY 15 plane.

Basically it would allow people to take up the good stuff once in a while, but doesn't limit how often they can fly something.

Not quite sure how it would be a substantial improvement over the current situation though.

Honestly, I'd be curious to see what happens if ENY gets ridiculously high and Drediock's idea was used.  Take the plane that is statistically flown the most by people who aren't in squads or groups and disable it for that side, so if you want to fly it you've got to switch.  It would be interesting, I think.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
So for example, say I log in for the evening, ENY's 20.  I say to myself, 'Hey!  I wanna up a P51D because it's the bestest!'

Switch sides and you can up the Pony as often as you like.  ;)

(And if ENY is less than 20, you might just chose a P-51B, which offers about the same kind of performance, just with fewer guns)

On a different note, I sometimes have the feeling that many new Eny ideas are just trying to be a way to circumvent ENY restrictions...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:00:57 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:07:50 AM »
The time delay is a good idea. I do think it is worth testing out. Who knows, maybe it might balance the game a little bit? I always fly on low numbers country, so this implementation will have little to no effect on me. I suggest testing it on both LW arenas because otherwise the whiners will revolt and switch to the arena that does not have it.

However, I feel that Masherbrum has a good point. It would probably be easier to "enforce sides" rather than to strictly maninpulate ENY restrictions on aircraft. With enforced sides, you can ensure that all teams are pretty well balanced with numbers, bases, ENY, etc.

Just be careful with how much balance you want. Sometimes, if everything is too perfectly balanced, map switches would take forever, as the winning team will be nerfed with ENY restrictions, and will become extremely difficult to "win the war". Essentially the map would just turn into one long drawn out stalemate. I am not a full supporter of "win the war" but there are times that I would just wish that the current map would be rotated. The winning team does deserve to be able to finish the war/map, but at a cost of course.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 10:46:52 AM »
Oh sure, Lusche.  I was just using that as an example, it was just an interesting thought that had struck me.  Honestly ENY rarely affects me, I just enjoy batting ideas around on the board.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »
I say bring back the old "porking the fuel" game. Who cares who can up what plane. If they can only take 25% of fuel, then let them up whatever they want. Can't really do much offense with 25% fuel. Yea, the teams with less people will just have to continue their "porking" to keep them close to their bases, but to me it would seem like a better option than the current system. So what if you can't fly a pony cause of ENY. Bring a spitv/seafire, dive in on them while low, and kill pony anyway. I never let ENY concern me, but I figured I would throw my 2 cents IN.

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
Best Idea Ive seen on theses Boards...seems the existing ENY situation did not have much thought put to it. All it does is serve those who have Less..Like certain political beliefs ???

I love the waiting idea...a Good compromise..although I think Any Eny is a bad idea..I would vote for the waiting One.

KAM