Author Topic: What causes this?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
What causes this?
« on: November 21, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
I'm stumped.

Under Win2k, when climbing out I like to alt-tab out to surf the web and do other things.

Recently, its as if I have no memory left. After minimizing AH, just opening Task Manager takes almost a minute or more to open. It takes for-e-v-e-r to load a web page. I used to be able to do anything while the flight sim is minimized. Alt-tabbing back into the flight sim, all is normal.

When I shut down the flight sim, my apps and surfing operates at its normal snappy speed. What gives? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

AMD 1600XP
512MB DDR PC2100
SHUTTLE AK31
Win2k- all updates
ADSL Connection
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
What causes this?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »
Do you start AH with normal priority ?

It look like (for me) that you srtared (started  ;) my typing is ...grompf..) in realtime priority.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
What causes this?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2001, 09:50:00 AM »
I don't know if I set priority for "realtime" or not, Straffo,... How do you set the priority for AH? (your typing is ok  :))
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
What causes this?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
If you start AH by it's icon in the start menu it should be ok but if you start AH using this command :
start "Aces High" AH.exe /RealTime

In this case AH run with an high priority and so eat CPU bigtime  :)

Let analyse a bit further... when you open the task manager just click on the CPU column and you will see in top the application using the most CPU percent.

You can do a print screen and put the image in this thread (or you mail it to me as you like).

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
What causes this?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »
bad link

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Gunthr ]

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
What causes this?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2001, 08:51:00 PM »
punt

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
What causes this?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2001, 01:19:00 AM »
Gunthr, those links don't work unless you manually load them.  If you could click the processes tab it would be more helpful, but to me it looks as if AH is consuming nearly 100% of your CPU resources when minimized.  It MAY somehow be running at realtime priority, but I can't tell that without the processes list.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
What causes this?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2001, 01:20:00 AM »
sorry guntr put I don't see the pict can you mail them to  fdejager@free.fr  ?

No need to punt it when I'm sleeping  ;)

8:51 pm == about 2:51 AM for me  :D

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
What causes this?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2001, 01:23:00 AM »
ok I've seen the second pict but it's not very informative ...
Can you show me the process tab/page ?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
What causes this?
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2001, 06:32:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Sorry about my clumsiness with the files. Straffo, I just sent the .jpg's to you. Bloom, check your private messages.

:) Gunthr

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
What causes this?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
cannot access the hardware forum by I can access this message ??
WTF ?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
What causes this?
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2001, 11:01:00 PM »
Finally fixed it with Straffo's help. Turned out to be a "Real Time" anti-virus program in Fix It Utilities that caused AH to use huge amounts of memory for some reason.

Merci beaucoup, Straffo  :)
Hurray for Frenchmen!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
What causes this?
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gunthr:
Finally fixed it with Straffo's help. Turned out to be a "Real Time" anti-virus program in Fix It Utilities that caused AH to use huge amounts of memory for some reason.

Merci beaucoup, Straffo   :)
Hurray for Frenchmen!

Well now you must share the wealth ;)  I am still having a similar problem and it might fix mine too. Could you point me to the steps you took to fix your problem?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
What causes this?
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
In Win2k, crl-alt-del into Task Manager > Processes Tab. Click on View > Select Columns. Check boxes for CPU usage, Memory usage and Base Priority. The info in these columns can help you figure it out.

But first, decide if your prob is connection related. Does it happen when you alt-tab out of AH OFFLINE play?  If it does, you rule out a connection issue.

I didn't have a connection issue, so I re-installed the latest 4-in-1's, reinstalled my video drivers using Det Destroyer in between, and reinstalled DirectX 8.1. No change. I removed custom sounds from AH, and tried running with original sounds. No change. I removed and replaced AH entirely. No change. ( By the way, if you have more than one tweak program, I recommend getting rid of all but one, and just use that one to reduce the chance of problems between them.)

Finally, I looked closely at the Processes tab in Windows Task Manager. I decided to close out the processes using the highest amount of memory after AH, and test in between. The very first one, using about 8,000k, was the culprit.
 It turned out to be a realtime antivirus checker that was running without me knowing it. I disabled it, and AH went from using 58-61,000k minimized, to 29-34,000k when minimized. Problem solved.

Hope you find a clue to your problem here, Ammo... G'luck

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
What causes this?
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
Well, I would love to show you my process list do that maybe you guys could lead me in the right direction. How Do I do a SS of it to send?  It seems that AH is using 99-100% of my cpu and  using 53,500 K of my memory, even after I closed RW, MBM, IE, and everything else that Task Man would allow me to close. There is a large list of processes, but when I attemtp to close the ones usign the most priority, Task manager says access denied. It seems that no matter what I do, AH is using all my CPU time, and I assume that is why when I alt tab out and back in to AH, AH slows and gives my display the stutters.  It may be my vid drivers, I havent attempted to change them.

any suggestions. CAn someone tell me how to get a shot of proccesses tab to show you?

TY
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011