Author Topic: bomber guns.....  (Read 11599 times)

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Re: bomber guns.....
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2010, 06:10:50 PM »
Just 2 quick points:

Don't forget there is lag in play and you might be in a different position in space on the bomber's FE.  It may look as if he is shooting through another plane on your end - but not on his.

The absolute maximum time of hangars being "down" (ie planes not being available) for a full 15 minutes is not achievable in practice.  For that to happen to they would all have to be struck at exactly the same moment.  They are "down" only for the period from when the last is hit til the first comes up.    
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
Dantoo, I've seen this in my own bomber. I've used F3, and used my head possition key for "look backward" after alining my tail gun to shoot through the right drone (left from the tail gun). Use the "n" key, so as not to change your aim point.

I haven't done this in a while, and may have been resolved or changed.

And Dantoo, given the size of some of the 91st's raids, the time in between the first hanger down and the last hanger down can be a matter of 30 seconds or so.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »
If you've done it, and can reproduce it, then you can film it and submit it as a bug.  It's not a subject for a wish list.
If you can do it now, then you can rapidly post a screenshot here, by way of explanation, as you head for the bug forum.  We'll all wish you well.

The size of raids is irrelevant to my second point.  You are making my second point.  In the sample case that you are describing, then the hangars are out only for 14 minutes and 30 seconds.  Unless you try and spawn at that precise moment, then you are even less inconvenienced.  Any time after that exact moment and you will have to wait even less.

If the 91st have found a way to attack that helps them enjoy the game then they need encouragement.  The game will be more enjoyable for everyone when there are greater incentives to attack and less to defend.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
Damn, 91st. This is close to my incident a couple days ago.

Kilt Strega's 152 in my 262 in a turning battle (I wasn't picking) and he whined and said he was gonna quit...as Assi said...a two-fer!

WTG 91st! Almost got a two-fer!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
YB-40 YB-40 YB-40........come on all chant along......YB-40 YB-40 :x
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:04:30 PM by HawkerMKII »
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2010, 09:36:06 PM »
YB-40 YB-40 YB-40........come on all chant along......YB-40 YB-40 :x
See the "Y" in front of the name?  That means it was experimental and that means it won't happen.  Just like the Narwhal looking Me262 with the BK50 on it was experimental and won't happen.

There, a bone to both sides.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
See the "Y" in front of the name?  That means it was experimental and that means it won't happen.  Just like the Narwhal looking Me262 with the BK50 on it was experimental and won't happen.

There, a bone to both sides.
Maybe the next plane at the CON should be a narwhal...  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2010, 10:34:17 PM »
and always get the right side drone first.  ;)

I disagree.  If you are coming from the rear hemisphere take the left side drone first, then turn to fire at the lead.  After a few hits the right side drone will come across your fire disrupting the gunner and allowing you to kill the crossing drone.  Then a few final rounds finishes off the lead.

It's best if you can do this in a left to right sweeping pattern, starting with the left wingtip of the left drone and moving right to the right wingtip of the lead.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2010, 11:09:26 PM »

How the hell is the nose gun shooting through the fuselage of a drone? The limited traverse would prevent that. And I know he doesn't mean that the nose gun of a drone is firing throught the fuselage of the lead bomber since thats impossible with a 4 o'clock attack position.

BulletVI was saying that the tail gun (or possibly the waist gun or ball turret) of the lead bomber is firing through the fuselage of the right side drone. I've noticed this as well, but I never thought anything of it.

Let me copy and paste even slower so maybe it will sink in.  I'll also remove the superfluous bits:

it appears as if ALL the guns are firing... they're not Only the guns that can be brought to bear on you will be actually shooting bullets at you, the rest are just phantom tracers.

:aok

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 01:18:52 AM »
To the OP:

Strap on a bomber and fly solo with drones and then report back here and tell us how easy it is to clear the air...

I am tired of hearing how lethal the bombers are when HTC has continued over time to reduce both their attack lethality and their defensive lethality...

Check NOTAM: Signal to Noise Ratio

Out

Oneway

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 01:55:30 AM »
HTC has continued over time to reduce both their attack lethality and their defensive lethality...

Care to explain?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 04:09:12 AM »

How the hell is the nose gun shooting through the fuselage of a drone? The limited traverse would prevent that. And I know he doesn't mean that the nose gun of a drone is firing throught the fuselage of the lead bomber since thats impossible with a 4 o'clock attack position.

BulletVI was saying that the tail gun (or possibly the waist gun or ball turret) of the lead bomber is firing through the fuselage of the right side drone. I've noticed this as well, but I never thought anything of it.

Nemisis you've obviously never had a gunner on board a B17 before. Fly a B17 sometime and let someone join you and move the guns around. The above will be made clear as to why it looks like the nose gun shoots backwards. Or any gun for that matter. 
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 03:44:35 PM »
Wrongway, do you understand that its the tailgun rather than the nose gun thats firing through the drone? You fail to realize that I know they are just phantom tracers, and that I'm saying they are coming from the tail gun rather than the nose gun.

And Beefcake, I rarely get a gunner for the few bomb runs i do. It seems that whenever I do, I'm intercepted by rather quickly and my gunner either won't shoot, or is incompetent enough to miss a 110 500yds out still climbing up to us (it can't be doing better than 175).

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 03:48:06 PM »
Please limit the number of possitions fired with the "fire all" button to be limited to 2 (per bomber, not total). Honestly, its almost impossible to attack a group of 3 or more (if they are decent shots) the way it is now. Its like flying into a wall of bullets. You get pilot wounded, they kill your engine, or just go and shoot your wing off.

Support for this idea:
The single .50's we have on the M4's tend to give a lot of damaged engines (I've given many, and I've been killed by them) or pilot wounds. Most bombers have 2 per mount, and that gives a total of 12 landing hits at convergence range. Still shouldn't be TOO much of a problem to kill something with them.

Buffs are easy kills, you're just doing it wrong.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
Masherbrum, did you read anything but the OP? We've already resoved this issue.

And they are much easier to kill now that I've figured out how to use the german AA rockets.