Author Topic: Gun sight image size analysis  (Read 31747 times)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
Re: Gun sight image size analysis
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2010, 11:06:56 AM »
Nice find AKDogg, can you post the document or a link by any chance?

Thanks
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I don't have a link or the document.  I got that from another forum that apparently a person (He actual is italian) has the manual and he posted that picture with the text stating the dimensions from the manual.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2010, 11:58:51 AM »
I don't have a link or the document.  I got that from another forum that apparently a person (He actual is italian) has the manual and he posted that picture with the text stating the dimensions from the manual.

Ok, so if I'm reading that right, the outer ring is 236mil and the inner is 160?

If that's the case, then this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for: A gun sight in which the rings themselves (NOT the extended cross) exceeds the 128mil diameter hitech currently has set as the maximum. With the San Giorgo rings being confirmed larger than 128mil, the crosses for the Mk.VIII and Revi 16 being demonstrably larger, and what little information I've been able to dig up indicating the IJN Type 98 is larger as well, is this sufficient to justify increasing the max size to 256mil instead?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Ok, so if I'm reading that right, the outer ring is 236mil and the inner is 160?

If that's the case, then this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for: A gun sight in which the rings themselves (NOT the extended cross) exceeds the 128mil diameter hitech currently has set as the maximum. With the San Giorgo rings being confirmed larger than 128mil, the crosses for the Mk.VIII and Revi 16 being demonstrably larger, and what little information I've been able to dig up indicating the IJN Type 98 is larger as well, is this sufficient to justify increasing the max size to 256mil instead?

To answer your question, no it is not sufficient to justify increasing the size to 256 but it does put more weight in increasing the size.

But the point is moot, I have choosen to default the width to 128 and then if you wish a different mill width, you can just add a file in the sight directory xxxx.mil with the mill size in it to change the mill size for a given xxxx sight.

HiTech

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
To answer your question, no it is not sufficient to justify increasing the size to 256 but it does put more weight in increasing the size.

But the point is moot, I have choosen to default the width to 128 and then if you wish a different mill width, you can just add a file in the sight directory xxxx.mil with the mill size in it to change the mill size for a given xxxx sight.

HiTech

So for example hitech you say if the sight we use is 120mill then we can change that within the game by adding a  file say 255.mill for example and then that sight is now set to 255mill.

Is there any instructions to follow as i may try it but not computer savvy :lol but instructions i can follow  :aok
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
I read this thread, my head exploded.

Well, at least nothing important was hurt. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »
So for example hitech you say if the sight we use is 120mill then we can change that within the game by adding a  file say 255.mill for example and then that sight is now set to 255mill.

Is there any instructions to follow as i may try it but not computer savvy :lol but instructions i can follow  :aok

no

say you are using a sight p51d.bmp you would then add a file p51d.mil with 256 as the number on the first line.

HiTech

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
no

say you are using a sight p51d.bmp you would then add a file p51d.mil with 256 as the number on the first line.

HiTech

Ah i see sort of renaming it but would it be p51d256.mil or 256p51d.mil or p256d.mil Sorry to ask but if you dont ask the teatcher you never learn :) Thanks :)

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »

HiTech

That is equally awesome, and a fair best of both worlds solution.

:aok

Bullet,

I think he's saying there will be a file called p51d.mil that you would open in Notepad or some other TXT editor, and add "256" to the first line of the file which tells it the gunsight would be 256mil across.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
That is equally awesome, and a fair best of both worlds solution.

:aok

Bullet,

I think he's saying there will be a file called p51d.mil that you would open in Notepad or some other TXT editor, and add "256" to the first line of the file which tells it the gunsight would be 256mil across.

SORY still head scratching for me  :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
There will be files in your Aces High\Sights folder named [Plane Name].mil (or you would need to create one).

To change the size of the gunsight for a particular plane, you would open (or create) it's particular .mil file. IE, to edit the size of the F4U-1A's sight, you would open F4U1A.MIL

In this text file, you would specify the size in mils you want the sight to be. IE, if I wanted to correct the Mk.VIII gunsight to 150 mil, I would add the number 150 to the first line of that text file. Save it, and load the game.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »
Ok i opened the p51d text doccument in notepad it reads

USAAFK14b.bmp

Ithe number i change the number 14 ?????   :headscratch: :headscratch:

Dont worry not changed a thing :)

I just have .bmp file's and the text files ??
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:11:08 PM by BulletVI »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »
Bullet,

You're on the right track, but if I understand what hitech is saying it's not going to be the p51d.txt file that's currently in there. There's going to be ANOTHER file named p51d.mil. It doesn't exist yet, because this hasn't been implemented into the game yet.

Incidentally, I'm curious over how large of a file (in pixels) we'll be able to use now...

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »
Incidentally, I'm curious over how large of a file (in pixels) we'll be able to use now...

I don't think we're talking about using a larger BMP file due to this :
I think we're just talking how to scale the existing BMP files. For instance, current BMP is 128x128. If we need a 200 mil ring, you'd set the p51d.mil file to 256, and make the ring inside the BMP 100 pixels wide.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
Bullet,

You're on the right track, but if I understand what hitech is saying it's not going to be the p51d.txt file that's currently in there. There's going to be ANOTHER file named p51d.mil. It doesn't exist yet, because this hasn't been implemented into the game yet.

AHHH i see it be when the new update for the sights is installed i gotcha that makes a lot of sense now CHEERS :aok

Hitech i not sucking up but keep up the brilliant work :) oh and may i ask what engine you got in the Mk9 spit ????

Is it the two stage merlin 61 or 63 or the 70 serie's just a queary as i was watching Spitfire ace the other day and the Spits owner asked the trainee to throttle back to 3600 rpm as thats what the cruising speed setting was. bit of a difference to my rpm gauge in the game !!!!!
im just wandering like as there was 3 different engine's available each one better than the previous i believe :) But i shall try and find more info on these type's of engine to back all this up  :salute