Author Topic: Gun sight image size analysis  (Read 31738 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Gun sight image size analysis
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2010, 11:06:45 PM »
This is what I mean.

#1 Mk.VIII

#2 My regular sight

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:45 PM »
Anybody with the skill to make these things know if there are RAF sights in the works?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2010, 11:15:20 PM »
Ack-Ack that is/was an issue before the update (kind of). If you don't want the lines to stretch there needs to be 2 rows/columns of black pixels around the edge of the bitmap.

Yeah, it's been an issue ever since I can remember but never knew what the fix was.  Thanks!

ack-ack

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »
Anybody with the skill to make these things know if there are RAF sights in the works?

Yes there are, it will be next week but, I'll have a couple of Mk.II's ready for use. I'm sure AKDogg is working on them as well.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
Yes there are, it will be next week but, I'll have a couple of Mk.II's ready for use. I'm sure AKDogg is working on them as well.
Where will we be able to get them? Will there be a centralized thread in the Custom Skins and Sounds forum, or will we just have to keep our eyes on this one?
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2010, 12:03:32 AM »
Thank you.  I have always run AH with sights as historical as I could manage and would prefer to continue doing so.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
btw saxman, the f4u-1 did not use a mk.VIII sight.  F4u-1 used the N-3B sight.  All the other hogs used the Mk.VIII mod 6-8 sight.

Ken Walsh stated they used Mk.VIIIs in the F4U-1s. I'd say he's probably a reliable source. So either they were built with N-3s and these were replaced in the field before being released to the pilots, (seeing as the F4F-4 and SBD-5 were using the Mk.VIII, it's logical the Corsairs were either built or updated to it) or one of the two sources is wrong (if you're basing it on that Japanese site, I'd trust Walsh over that any day).

Yeah, it's been an issue ever since I can remember but never knew what the fix was.  Thanks!

It looks like you're actually using the sight that was cut off at 128mil, not the full-sized cross (which is 150mil). Have you tried the version in the ZIP file I put up? I didn't have any trouble with it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:15:28 AM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2010, 12:25:11 AM »
Well as far as I know you're both right. The Corsair was designed for a telescopic sight that was going to be the USN standard, but the US was allowed to license the British Mk.II sight from Barr and Stroud. So the "guts" of the N-series sights, as well as the USN Mk.VIII, and Mk.IX sights are all the same. The USN adopted the N-3 for a short time until the development of the Mk.VIII was complete. This is discussed in the book of the joint fighter conference, at NAS Pax River in Oct 1944.

So given that the F4U-1 in game seems to me to be a later production model, I suspect the Mk.VIII is more correct, but it could be either.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »

Didnt the US army air corp adopt the British sight as they where going to be flying from England and thus it would be easier to repair or replace as the Parts where made in Places like Inverness, Fife, Edinburgh And Glasgow  :)
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2010, 12:50:32 PM »
There was a coad war and I missed it?  Oh, man...anyone who has seen my sig knows what fine, concise, easily read and interpreted coad I write...

Going to need a better sight manager now  :)
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #250 on: July 23, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »
Neither the earlier 256 version nor the 512 version of the Mk.VIII in the ZIP file fill the entire BMP, so even if this issue still occurs this sight should be fine.

That fixed it, the new updated sights you released don't have the problem of your earlier version.

ack-ack

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2010, 08:18:24 PM »
Just finished rebuilding the RUS_PB1 Russian gunsight using a 512x512 bmp file. It finally scales correctly in the yaks and the La's and is usable unzoomed.

If you start a new 512x512 8bit bmp file with black background and draw a single pixel line grid of an X and a Cross and save it. You can put it in the sights directory and begin seeing what your maximum edge locations will be for the Primary ring or edges of extending posts. I have a (basic.bmp) template file that I set to my targeted ride. It has a grid of hashes set at every 10 pixels that lets me know my dimensions when I look through the gunsight. Based on the hash marks I begin recreating the old 256x256 gunsight files. It was surprising how the scale had changed for the old JP98Small gunsight I use in the A6M. The Ki61 gunsight dosen't squeeze in the sides of gunsights anymore.

HiTech's change with Baumer and Saxmans help is de BOMB......... :salute
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »
Incidentally, if anyone wants to compile a complete package for all sights (like some of the packs that have been released in the past) you have my permission to include the Mk.VIII. Just be sure proper credit is given in a readme somewhere.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2010, 08:05:42 AM »
anyone know the diameter in mils of the RAF B&S Mk II and Mk III reflector sights reticle circle? cant find the info anywhere, just references to the "100mph circle" :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »
Trying to find the size of these reticles is proving to be INCREDIBLY difficult. I tried several different ways of Googling for it and came up empty most of the time.