Author Topic: Icons  (Read 7272 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Icons
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:24:48 AM »
  Why do you guys insist on messing with these ranges? 1k and none below 500ft?  Very unenjoyable for me tonight.

~AoM~

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: Icons
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »
  Why do you guys insist on messing with these ranges? 1k and none below 500ft?  Very unenjoyable for me tonight.
yep  +1   i couldn't even see them till 800, spent all evening trying to figure out who was who!
Up till they figured out who i was!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:38:48 AM »
I don't know.  Yes more realistic but I found myself dancing around the sky more trying to figure out who was who.  At one point I saw about 12 dots and no one on "range channel" so i departed quickly  :D

It is a game and I kinda like seeing the bad guys 6K out myself, as it is a game.

From a "fight" stand point it doesn't change the engagement, just how much kabuki dancing  :banana: you do before hand.

I think its OK to try it for this FSO but I would like the ICON's back to their normal settings for the next FSO.  Its a game and like my fun factor.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:41:44 AM »
I felt bad.... I ran into a couple good spit drivers and I felt I cheated them. I simply went below 500feet, popped up and killed them when they saw nothing around them.

Having the icons at 3k is better, 6k is too much. Having them at 1k is far, far too little.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline MAG1C

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
I don't understand the reason for one icon range for friendlies and another for enemies.  When you see a dot (or the shape of an airplane if you have a very large monitor) you can't tell if its a distant friendly or a relatively close enemy.   One icon range for fighters and another for bombers does make sense to me but not this.

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:01:43 AM »
Icon and dar settings  :aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »
Sounds like I missed some real fun. I hope frame 2 has the same settings.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 07:43:49 AM »
Spent more time chasing friendlies than we did fighting last night.  If we can ID a friendly at 3K, we should be able to ID a bandit at the same range.  Its been said before (and I am sure it will again) that without real world resolution and depth perception... setting the icon ranges as they were last night just doesnt work well.  Combine that with the fact that most of the bases were not flashing when attacked and you end up spending most of the frame just trying to find something to fight.

I am sure there are those that will disagree, saying it is "more realistic"... but the graphics capabilities of AH just arent the same as RL.  A couple of guys in our squad who actually are combat pilots in RL said the same thing.

***G3-MF***

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
I am with you Filth, if this stays the same for all the FSO events it will soon be a ghost town.  Was totally unfun last night and I for one will be leaving FSO if it continues.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:19:27 AM by Boxboy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
I wanted to add one thing... having a lack of icons/very short icons favors the aircraft that are faster. That is one of the reasons some of us flying for the Luftwaffe did so well, it certainly wasn't ability.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
I wanted to add one thing... having a lack of icons/very short icons favors the aircraft that are faster. That is one of the reasons some of us flying for the Luftwaffe did so well, it certainly wasn't ability.

I hear ya... we had a 109 blow through our formation at top speed with guns blazing at one point last night.  Didnt see him until he was in top of us, and lost him almost as fast among the friendly dots around us. 

***G3-MF***

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
Sounds like I missed some real fun. I hope frame 2 has the same settings.
it might not be a great loss, but last night was my one and only sortie with those settings!
At a minimum, 1.5 but 3k for both sides would be a lot better, at least!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »
I wasn't aware the settings had changed until the fight started. Once I was engaged with a Spit9 low and his icon disappeared I thought he had crashed.
When he suddenly appeared out of nowhere again it was a bit of a shock but I didn't assume anything the rest of the night. I liked the icon settings. What happened at times last night was exactly what I've heard described many times in interviews of WWII fighter pilots. The sky was full of fighting aircraft one moment and the next I was alone in an empty sky. Nice change to the normal 50+ minute mark cage match of death the FSO has become of late. I think the change brought back a little of the old feeling of the FSO being different and more challenging than your usual Main Arena fare.
Thanks for the fun night staffers.  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »
 Well if the point was to hinder a good fight that worked perfectly. Any icons 1k or higher  had to be treated as suspect. This just isnt working in the FSO. For all the time put into setting this up and people gathering together this killed the entire weeks work preparing for it. Can we drop this next frame? The object is to promote a good fight,not try to make it harder.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »
There's a reason the game uses icons.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.