Author Topic: Icons  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Icons
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
Whether they are Long (5K), Regular (3K) or short (1K). The Icon settings need to be the same across the board for every FSO. Nothing can prepare you for short Icons except offline play or events that routinely have icon settings like this.

Last night was tough and challenging. I had some pilots who were not pleased, and we all knew the settings going into tonight as I mentioned it several times before launch.

It is certainly different and more challenging, but I think we need Icons above 1K.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
Some love them, some hate them. Nothing new.

Sounds like I missed some real fun. I hope frame 2 has the same settings.
Icons will be the same for all three frames.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Otaz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 11:04:14 AM »
One reason I really enjoy FSO events is that the realism is high in all aspects, including the reduced icon range. Playing in the MAs is alot of fun, but I have the most fun flying in a realistic scenario with a squad and having a specific mission target or patrol area as well as having to figure out friend from foe just like the real guys did.

AH maybe just a game, but for me, it's also way to experience the history which AH is based on. I wish FSO type events occurred more frequently (more than once a week) quite honestly. If that were the case then I'd likely not play in the MAs as much and just fly in events.

In any case, I had a great time last night and can't wait for the next frame.

:salute

Zellys
VF-17  "Jolly Rogers"

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »

I personally don't see the logic in being able to ID a friendly at 3K, but an enemy only at 1K.

Another factor is depth perception, which we do not have in AH.  Icons are what "simulate" that.  Too much "realism" becomes a hindrance if the computer cannot "simulate" it realistically. 

It has been stated many times that one of the goals of FSO is to ensure that pilots dont end up flying for an hour with nothing to do... hence the reason for each side knowing what the other sides targets are going to be.  This variation of the icon settings seems to be in conflict with that idea. 

My guess is that now that everyone is aware of the icon settings (I know it was posted, but I am sure many didnt read it) , and just what their impact is in the arena... you will see more NOE strikes and combat on the deck for frames 2 & 3.  No reason to fly above 500' if you can be virtually invisible below it.  It will become a contest of who can get lucky and sneak in without getting caught rather than fighting their way through in a more "realistic" type of formation. 

Dont get me wrong...  I enjoyed flying last night.  But more so because it was a Friday night with the squad.  Saw very little action.  Once you became separated from an enemy and you lost each other icons, it was very difficult for both sides to re engage.  I am sure there were some large furballs out there... but I think that was just due to both sides lucking into being at the right places at the right times.

Now... with all of this said.  I think having different icon ranges from time to time is NOT a bad thing.  But those ranges need to be the same for both friendly AND foe in any given frame.  And the below 500' no icon idea needs to just go out the window.  If anything, make it 100' or lower.  It is way too easy to fly under 500' in any terrain and avoid detection completely.

***G3-MF***

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 11:55:35 AM »

:salute good luck with the icons I won't be flying those I have better things to do with my Friday nites.

Flying in the face of the majority is always a bad idea and I don't care who you are or think you are.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »

Sorry to hear that!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
There's a reason the game uses icons.

The biggest need for icons is in the main arenas where there are three sides and everybody flies the same type aircraft. In an environment like the FSO or any Axis vs Allied environment friendly icons should be there to provide you with an ID of a friend or squadmate which can't be done without personal skins. As far as enemy aircraft recognition it's not that hard every aircraft in AHII has a distinct look and color at a distance because the default skins override any other skins until your distance decreases to a point where the custom skin is recognizable. As far as saying no icons kill fights it's just not true. I didn't have one fight I was in last night killed because of no icons. They were killed because one side or the other won the fight. The fights in the AVA have been much better since the staff adopted the no enemy icons. You are required to get closer and maneuver more to ensure your kills which usually results in a longer more protracted engagement. There's very little sneaking up and killing without being seen in the AVA, but I think that has to do with a more liberal radar system used to help enhance the no enemy icon environment. As far as the advantage automatically going to the faster aircraft in a no enemy icon environment that's just not the case.

If you look at at the stats for AVA tour 99 the past week was a USAAF vs IJAAF setup. The P-51B and D P-47D25 and P-38L were pretty soundly beaten by the Ki-84 Ki-61 and A6M5. The limited icon use in the FSO where there is limited radar admittedly is harder to deal with than the settings of the AVA where you know there are enemies in your immediate area. I'm not sure the limited icons and limited radar both will work in the FSO. One or the other is enough both together may be too much. However since Daddog has stated the next two frames will be with these settings a good place to get some practice getting used to it for the next two weeks is the AVA.  Spend a couple of hours in there and you'll see it not as difficult as it first seems. Oh by the way I'm 51 with middle aged reflexes plus I'm near sighted and have to wear reading glasses to fly. I'm not one of the AHII hotshots who regularly lands 5+ kills or writes posts on the BBS about my superior ACM or has groupies posting movies about me on the BBS. I'm just an average middle of the road cartoon plane crasher. If I can adapt to it anybody can. I understand a lot of you don't like it but we're stuck with it for the next two weeks. Try the AVA if you get a chance and see if that improves your SA some for the upcoming two weeks.

<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »
I felt bad.... I ran into a couple good spit drivers and I felt I cheated them. I simply went below 500feet, popped up and killed them when they saw nothing around them.

Having the icons at 3k is better, 6k is too much. Having them at 1k is far, far too little.

I agree with Del, 3k minimum. I was chasing a spit last night who went below 500' and even with the field ack firing on the con I could not see him. Luckily Noah17 got the bastage but he was all mine and even I need a cookie now and then.

Cheers,
gus

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 12:47:45 PM »
I felt bad.... I ran into a couple good spit drivers and I felt I cheated them. I simply went below 500feet, popped up and killed them when they saw nothing around them.

Having the icons at 3k is better, 6k is too much. Having them at 1k is far, far too little.

I, too, agree with Delirium, both in this and his other post about very short icons favoring the faster plane (i.e., our Bf-109G-2 vs. Hurricane Mk.II).

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »
The biggest need for icons is in the game is because the human eye is incapable of picking out objects on a screen to the same degree it can in the real world.

Next two weeks of FSO will be the lowest attended FSO's or, the most whined about FSO's.

People want to fight, not fly around looking for a fight.No Icons has been tried, and very quicly becomes boring.
HiTech

Yeah, did AvA. Stopped for the same reason FSO sucked last night.

Lets be straight, realism is great but if the pursuit of realism sucks the fun out of the event, it's a non-event.

Now I and many other married men have to go through a lot of crap to reserve our Friday nights for this and at no point last night - and for the first time in many years - was the reward for my efforts it worth it.

Of course, I will continue to show. Our squad made a commitment and I will not be a part of neglecting that commitment. I will be here next Friday and be ready for the kack that is to come but I BEG the FSO big-wigs to consider this;
We show up for 3 Fridays a month to have FUN. If you continue to remove fun in the name of realism participation will fall.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
few love them, most hate them. Nothing new.

Fixed for accuracy.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
People were calling out dots last night that my crappy computer couldn't even see. On the other hand spikes with his super uber gaming rig was not only able to see the dots, but call out spit or 109/190. Something not right with that.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »
The largest obstacle in a no icon environment is that you are checking your six constantly, scanning the horizon all around you constantly. Which lends to have a good wingman really helps the situation out.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »
Ze sky is falling!  Ze sky is falling!

Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
The biggest need for icons is in the game is because the human eye is incapable of picking out objects on a screen to the same degree it can in the real world.

Next two weeks of FSO will be the lowest attended FSO's or, the most whined about FSO's.
hard to say for sure but  very possible
 realism is great but if the pursuit of realism sucks the fun out of the event, it's a non-event.
yep
Now I and many other married men have to go through a lot of crap to reserve our Friday nights for this .
Yep,, hard to justify neglecting my wife for something i don't think is fun anymore!
 I will continue to show. Our squad made a commitment and I will not be a part of neglecting that commitment.
If they need me to be there I will help out, otherwise my decision to skip the rest of this frame stands if the Icon range stays the same,
Quote from: hitech on November 29, 2005, 02:01:11 PM
People want to fight, not fly around looking for a fight.No Icons has been tried, and very quicly becomes boring.
HiTech
 Good enough for me to justify my position!
 I like to fly FSO, it has been a blast even when we get our rears handed to us, but the fun factor left last night when all i could do is fly around trying to figure out who's who,, to much time trying to figure out who was on my six instead of pushing ahead with our mission, we ended up not making our second trip because we were to busy chasing ghost's !
 no offense Daddog but I hope you reconsider your position!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:54:31 PM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.