Author Topic: Icons  (Read 7300 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: Icons
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
All one has to do is look at AVA and see that the no icon fan club is tiny to non existent. To think those settings will work in a time set environment when it has obviously failed in a "fly whenever you want" environment
The real truth is the AvA population was tiny to non existent before the icon change ever took place, for a variety of reasons. Chief among them is that you simply can't fly any plane from any country at any time.

The AvA will never have 100's of players, but it currently is doing OK.

It's just not true to say no icons has failed in AvA, no more than anything else has failed in AvA.

In fact, it has brought back several people who haven't flown in there for years.

If you read the AvA forum, it's pretty active. The arena, at least when I play, has a large enough population that it's easy to find a fight.

The no icons setting is working pretty well in AvA, but I never really want to see it expand into other arenas.

I for one, rather like the AvA having the monopoly on that.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
All one has to do is look at AVA and see that the no icon fan club is tiny to non existent. To think those settings will work in a time set environment when it has obviously failed in a "fly whenever you want" environment is just going against the majority. I know I spend more time in the FSO than the MA and it is pretty much the only reason I fly anymore. Even Hajo decided he was going to hang it up and drop his account. I would hate to see the FSO go the way of AVA because toying with the settings was more important than putting on an event that the majority enjoyed.
Another rocket scientist without a clue. Just so you're informed next time, the AvA went no enemy icons in March of this year, and it is picking up a bigger fan club than it had prior to that.
Before March 2010, the AvA was pretty much the same as FSO. Same maps, same settings, no time limits.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »
Another rocket scientist without a clue. Just so you're informed next time, the AvA went no enemy icons in March of this year, and it is picking up a bigger fan club than it had prior to that.
Before March 2010, the AvA was pretty much the same as FSO. Same maps, same settings, no time limits.

Aw gee shucks. I guess zero numbers is still zero numbers regardless of the settings. But this isnt the setting for a AVA recruiting thread. Its about the settings that it seems has reduced the enjoyment for most of those posting in here.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »
DrDea is right, this thread isn't supposed to be about AvA, but it might be helpful to try out the arena to get acclimated to limited icon settings so that the FSO experience over the next two weeks is more enjoyable.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »
daddog, you will always get your share of whiners and cryers whenever you try something new. its easy for them to condemn while they hide behind an anonymous computer screen. i too have been the victim of the retribution whenever someone is not happy or doesnt like change. As we see in the AVA forum, you need a thick skin and a set of these:

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2010, 12:21:11 PM »
If anyone wants to get some target practice in a no enemy icons environment I'll be in the AvA later this afternoon and tomorrow. The dar settings make it fairly easy to find someone to fight, just have to figure out what alt they are at.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
One of the more difficult things is discerning range. It helps to pay attention off or online in other arenas, as to what ranges the aircraft relates to how large it looks in the sight picture.

Some more tips can be found here. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,290632.0.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:36:22 PM by jimson »

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2010, 12:38:21 PM »
Not currently in game........
But glad to see that FSO is now popular enough to withstand growing pains of such as this without the loss of major squads. They should explore any aspect as long as it is across the board.
This will weather out as all things have and a happy medium will prevail.
And for the record: Icons could include skill level at 6K and I would still be hard pressed to get a kill in my beloved FSO.

The Arabian Knights have participated in every FSO since it's inception. While in the past we have drastically reduced our commitment at times; this is the first time the squad had unanimously voted to skip an event. The primary reason was the setup, as espoused by many of the posts here. 

While we chose not to participate, we still hope that this July's event will be a success. FSO still remains one of the best attractions of Aces High.
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »
I kind of liked the 3k FSO enemy icons,  1k is too short, if that makes me a whiner so be it.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »
Missed this is FSO because I'm laid up in hospital. CM's you expect commitment from squads in consistency - maybe the same goes the other way in game settings. Icons is something a lot of people seem to not want to be changed - so why do it?

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »
  Ive been biteing my tounge on this one but it needs to be said. When your biggest support is from a squad that got kicked out of FSO,you seriously need to take a look at what your promoting. Cause your so far from right you should be ashamed.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
Did I miss something ?
I just searched all my data on WWII and have found no reference to any pilot finding a red icon above any enemy they came across. FSO tries to be historically accurate, and therefore I agree with the icon range.I <S> Daddog and the FSO crew for doing a great job in the FSOs. After all , Its a game , And I am an adult playing that game . Those who say "Im not playing anymore unless the icon is changed." should probably go back to playing other games and leave the FSO for pp;l who would like to have FUN!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
Did I miss something ?

obviously you did - the game engine in no way provides the total visual fidelity to compare with the real world, and thus icons make up for this shortfall.

FSO has been built up over the years to an awesome event, if it ain't broke why fix it?

Offline TUK

• Silver Member
      • 13MPG
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »
Happy 4th of July everyone..
CO WD40 (FSO)
Death From Above (DFA) - Main Arena

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
obviously you did - the game engine in no way provides the total visual fidelity to compare with the real world, and thus icons make up for this shortfall.

FSO has been built up over the years to an awesome event, if it ain't broke why fix it?
I understand this, But why complain is all Im saying . after all it is only a game Right ?
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.