Author Topic: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Re: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »
Unless the FM changed drastically in the past couple years, the Spit 16 can do virtually anything the Spit 9 can do, and still have something left in reserve. 

I haven't pick up a joystick since the WW1 update (and even that didn't hold my interest long, and it was a couple years prior to that) but I'd be willing to bet there isn't ANYONE playing who could consistantly kill me in an A-20 or Mossie if I was in a Spit 16. 

You need to differentiate between people who have at least a half a clue about how to fight, and the other 90% of the people playing.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
I'm thinkin' no, no you won't...

It no be the first time i'v defeated a spit 16 useing the spit 8 :)  :salute
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
It no be the first time i'v defeated a spit 16 useing the spit 8 :)  :salute

Not fighting BE in the 16 you ain't.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
Yeah bullet, BE would absolutley tear you up in a dogfight.

Not a knock against you but BE can absolutely hover that spit in mid air.

And good fights BE, you really showed me what an experienced pilot can do in a spixteen.

<S>
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:02:11 PM by sandwich »

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2010, 03:28:45 PM »
Yeah bullet, BE would absolutley tear you up in a dogfight.

Not a knock against you but BE can absolutely hover that spit in mid air.

And good fights BE, you really showed me what an experienced pilot can do in a spixteen.

<S>

I welcome any pilot who can teach me and improve my skill's in a Spit of any Mark and i have fought BE before in the D/A He was in his Spit 16 an me my Spit 8 the fight lasted for about 5 minute's till a tempy from the third party picked us both :)

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
I welcome any pilot who can teach me and improve my skill's in a Spit of any Mark and i have fought BE before in the D/A He was in his Spit 16 an me my Spit 8 the fight lasted for about 5 minute's till a tempy from the third party picked us both :)

Is your chest soar now?

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
Is your chest soar now?

Im afraid not Bear why is you'r cos if it is i'd advise you go and see you'r doctor you may have anything from TB 2 a chest infection lol

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
Im afraid not Bear why is you'r cos if it is i'd advise you go and see you'r doctor you may have anything from TB 2 a chest infection lol

Just wanted to make sure you didn't hurt yourself thumping your chest

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »
Like I said, the spixteen is an evil monstrosity.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »
Since they fixed the tator problem I havnt had too much problems with spits in general. When flyiing a tator bird you put everything into that one shot, used to be you couldnt count on that but now you can.

I like how the OP posted Sodas eval and it said watch for overshoots...thats normally where Ill get a spit. They got bigger wings and look awesome getting hit by a tator.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
  Just wanted to make sure you didn't hurt yourself thumping your chest

Oh cool thankyou for your concern its much appreciated :)  :salute

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
Since they fixed the tator problem I havnt had too much problems with spits in general. When flyiing a tator bird you put everything into that one shot, used to be you couldnt count on that but now you can.

I like how the OP posted Sodas eval and it said watch for overshoots...thats normally where Ill get a spit. They got bigger wings and look awesome getting hit by a tator.

Strangely, I've been having a high number of tater duds lately.  None on the spixteen though.  Maybe it's a thing that has to be fixed on a plane by plane basis?
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »
Strangely, I've been having a high number of tater duds lately.  None on the spixteen though.  Maybe it's a thing that has to be fixed on a plane by plane basis?

I believe that's how they explained it, remember a problem previously with tator duds on the mossie that is gone.
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »
The only usable disadvantage of the SpitXVI vrs. perhaps the majority of AH rides is that the Spit airframe cannot bleed energy as quickly as some others. Of course, energy retention is no real disadvantage in the hands of a competent pilot, but can be used to force the overshoot and a quick shot against the uninitiated. Helps if the uninitiated is such a bloody bad shot they can't do fatal damage spraying with the Hizookas during the overhoot and also wishes to scissors back and forth in front of you, instead of simply using level or climbing turn to out-rate everything in the plane set in a nose-to-tail chase. Oh, before any of the resident idiots says something about "not knowing how to fight Spixeteens", I have in fact flat murdered hundreds of Spixteens in close fights flying a frickin' P-47D-11. Fortunately rising to a skill level that allows me to exploit the usual level of AH pilotage has not made me a liar about relative plane capacities, as seems to be the case for many experienced AH players.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:29:03 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
The only usable disadvantage of the SpitXVI vrs. perhaps the majority of AH rides is that the Spit airframe cannot bleed energy as quickly as some others.

This isn't exactly true.  The Spit slows down like a boat when you shut the trottle down at least in relatively level flight.  Go test this yourself.  Of the planes I fly the most (Bf109K-4, F6F-5, FW190A-8 and all Spit variations) the Spit slows the fastest of every one in a landing glide pattern and by a wide margin.

What the Spit does do inceredibly well though is retain E under power, particularily in a turn.  In my fights with Sandwich the other night there were times after 2-3 turns I was trying to get the flaps down and I still couldn't do it because I was still too fast.

Spits just don't like to bleed E in a turn.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.