Author Topic: Stable Social Dynamics and "The Rule of 150".  (Read 1629 times)

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Re: Stable Social Dynamics and "The Rule of 150".
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »
I wonder,since I havent looked it up,and honestly probably wont,but,does dunbars rule take into account inebriation of different substances into the "POOL" of 150?

I am asking this question from a neutral perspective..but it also has to be taken into account.ANd so,if I am in the company of someone within my space at work or say,the pool,and they are acting silly and spouting jibberish because they are inebriated, then I have the ability to either leave the area,or ignore them..In-game I would think it is the same if someone de-tunes 200 when it gets to them..

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »
"Dunbar's number is not derived from systematic observation of the number of relationships that people living in the contemporary world have.  It comes from extrapolation from nonhuman primates and from inspection of selected documents showing network sizes in selected pre-industrial villages and settlements in less developed countries.

Anthropologist H. Russell Bernard and Peter Killworth and associates have done a variety of field studies in the United States that came up with an estimated mean number of ties - 290 - that is roughly double Dunbar's estimate. The Bernard-Killworth median of 231 is lower, due to upward straggle in the distribution: this is still appreciably larger than Dunbar's estimate. The Bernard-Killworth estimate of the maximum likelihood of the size of a person's social network is based on a number of field studies using different methods in various populations. It is not an average of study averages but a repeated finding.[5][6"

Well the first step would be to limit the number of non-human primates with access to ch 200... :bolt:
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »
 :lol

edit: I dont see any flaming here, maybe one comment which was taken in good humour. and that was pretty mild. mild like, say, a nice bit of Wensleydale.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:18:50 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 01:41:26 PM »
Nice post bustr, but really this is nothing more then the reason we split arenas. And the reason we limit squad sizes.

HiTech

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
got to say on the occasions I do more than a .s and type gf etc on ch200, only get a response 10% of the time. suggests to me that only 10% of players tune it...

I thought the same thing at first.  Until I did a Little studier.     Mark the name of someone that does not respond. then watch 200 for 15 Min's  I found that they absolutely tune 200. they just dint respond especially when they get killed verses  when they do the killing.

<S>
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
tune for a full 15mins?  :confused: ok that explains it, my limits about 5. I have a very low tolerance for BS ;)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
Nice post bustr, but really this is nothing more then the reason we split arenas. And the reason we limit squad sizes.

HiTech

I appreciate the aknowlegment.

Sometimes I get tired of the rinse and repeat boiler plate style of verbal dueling in here and see if I can kick it up a bit. It's always impressive reading the threads you and several of our accomplished aeronotical engineering members take part in. I guess I picked too arcane a topic to be inviteing for an indepth analysis. Of the two goals I wanted to achive, deriving the common ch200 vector for the saltyness was achived. Your comment just now on why you split the arenas and limit squad size finished my mission.

I'll report back to being cannon fodder for this forums denizens.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
Ok bald, you got me, I confess, I copied it from a urinal wall in lockup this last weekend at Santa Rita near Dublin California. Make you feel better? But I'm not that character you are so infatuated with called Voss.

I've never, until right now, typed Voss' name.  In fact, I somehow missed that episode in flight sim history.  I think you have me confused with someone else.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »
I've never, until right now, typed Voss' name.  In fact, I somehow missed that episode in flight sim history.  I think you have me confused with someone else.

My deepest and sincerest apology.

Shows you how bad my memory is and how littel I payed attention to the Voss Drama Island episodes. I drew an invalid infrence from your question about a Ph.D that I was about to inherit the mantel of "Voss-2010" due to the legend of his personal stories. Kinda like how the Serial Cartoon series "The Phantom" had the construct of the "Ghost Who Walks" legend but, in reverse. Again I offer my apology, and you did not deserve my unkind response. :salute
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
tune for a full 15mins?  :confused: ok that explains it, my limits about 5. I have a very low tolerance for BS ;)
I just look at it like going to the grocery store.   There are 15 isles of junk i have no interest in. I just go get what I want. It does not offend me that there are Items that i have no interest in. 
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.