Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 83015 times)

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
Re: Fishing
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 12:36:23 PM »
This is something you will have to get cleared with your state wildlife and fisheries dept. In many states carp are added to the water to eat off vegetation (grass carp). I would look in your state's fishing and boating guide on regulations with carp.

(What state do you live in)?
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »
I'm in Ohio.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »
Okay, I know that Asian carp are a nuisance/invasive species and that unless there is any law inacted saying you can not kill them. KILL THEM if you CATCH THEM.

As for Common carp, I'm sure there are regulations. Ohio regs are much more strict that KY regs. I would call the Ohio Dept. of Fish and Game and ask them about it. I'm just a Kentucky boy, I ain't familiar with y'alls regulations. :lol
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
 Here ya go FB,there isnt a freshwater fish that wont bite on the Wooleybugger.

If I had to choose only 1 fly to fish with it would be some version of the Wooley.

Mostly I make them with all black coloration but I've seen every color under the rainbow used on this versitile fly.

I've used size 14 hooks to make them 1/2 inch long all the way to 00 hooks for large fish like Pike or Muskie.

They tye a version called the egg sucking leech thats just a wooley with a red,orange,white or yellow egg made on the nose.It's impossible to drift this fly through riverrun salmon and not get a strike!

:salute

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
Truth be told, I have made every kind of lure you can probably imagine and then some... But I've never tied my own flies.
I've been really interested in doing it. I think making a personalized Crappie fly or a trout fly would be amazing.

Is the wooley a dry fly or a wet fly? Deer hair? Feathers? Twine or string? I'd love to get a kit for fly-tying, what would you reccomend?
Landing is overrated.

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »
What type of rig set-up? Lindy, Carolina or something? What do you use with the harness to make it more effective?
And when do you know when to set the hook(s)?
Please and thank you  :D :cheers:

What type of blade should I use?
I was thinking the always classic golden willow or silver Indiana. But I've seen some painted blades and I was curious.

Alot of what you ask depends on the waters you fish.Are they gravel bottom,rock bottom sand/mud,River or lake.
 Allso you have to consider is the water murky, clear or tea.

Walleye are one of the hardest freshwater fish to catch simply because of their feeding habits,but the taste makes up for it  :)
 The primary food source for them is yellow perch,so if you find perch you will find walleye lingering around.If you want to still fish for them use live minnows or if your state allows,"and if you can catch some"use live baby perch about 3 inches long.
 if you want to drift or troll with crawlers and the water is clear or tea,you dont need any flash. just rig a slip sinker so that your crawler is about 2 feet behind the sinker,and use a small swivel.
if the water is murky then you want som flash,my personal favoret is the Erie Dearie in lemonlime or flo green http://www.fishusa.com/Erie-Dearie-Original-Lures_p.html and since they are self weighted you dont need any sinkers. the only mod you need to make to it is to add a tail hook for the end of the crawler.
 Last but most important,dont ever set hook on first bite,you will only reel in a half crawler and the fish gets free meal,walleye like to mouth their food so you have to be patient with them.

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »
I only fish in lakes, the one in question. Being a fairly shallow lake (only getting to 80ft max and 30 ft mean). Almost always murky. The shore is sand, mud and gravel tapering off to gravel and rocks next to some drop-offs about 30 ft out. Some brush and stuff litters the place. Several Crappie hot-spots are in the area. I live in Kentucky, our laws do not allow ANY sportfish with the exception of redear sunfish to be used as bait. I'm almost certain that the things in that lake, baitfish-wise, are minnows, shiners, alewives, shad, crawdads. Suggestions?

Also, I was wondering if I should use a bottom bouncer or not.
Landing is overrated.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »
Gotta ask you guys...how much do ya'll use plastics?
I won a contest on a fishing forum about a year ago and have about 25 packages of plastics (all kinds) but I never use them...any suggestions on making a few rigs or contraptions? Mainly like fishin' for walleye, pike, etc.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
 FB,

any fly tying website should show you what a wooleybugger is/looks like.

I suppose it would be in the streamer class but that doesn't matter,you could fish it on the surface but underwater is where you find most leeches so thats where it's best fished.

BTW,we have a spring run of walleye near me and I've caught plenty of them on the wooley,I place a small splitshot at the fly and fish it just like a jig.

Oh and here's a tip,try some garlic in those doeballs,it just might surprize you.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »
Gotta ask you guys...how much do ya'll use plastics?
I won a contest on a fishing forum about a year ago and have about 25 packages of plastics (all kinds) but I never use them...any suggestions on making a few rigs or contraptions? Mainly like fishin' for walleye, pike, etc.

Spikes the combinations are endless but the 2 I use the most would be a simple lead jighead and if I want to keep it off the bottom I use a slipsinker and small splitshot to stop the slipsinker from moving too close to the plastic and hook.

Smallmouth will take almost any plastic bait there is,provided you present it properly to the fish for the type of water your fishing.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Spikes, I have an amazing rig that works well for bass, but is mostly used for Walleye from what I've seen.

First, tie 3 octopus hooks (varying sizes but 4 is excellent). Onto one line about 2 feet long. Use a snell knot.

Tie on a hook at the end first. Once you have tied it on using a snell style knot, slide another hook down the line about 1 3/4"  from the last one. (Where you place the hook before you start tying line around the shank of it will determine where it rests). Tie the hook on with a snell knot also. Do this again for the last hook. (Be sure to place the line in your mouth before tightening the knot so it doesn't burn or weaken, plus it will give you a nice, tight knot).

Once you do this, take any plastic worm (six inchers will work well for this technique). Thread the worm onto all three hooks in a way that the end result is something like this... (done on paint, sue me).

Add a bullet sinker and cast it in front of weeds for Walleye (so I've heard), Largemouths, Smallies and even large bluegill.

What kinds of plastics do you have? Specifically?
Landing is overrated.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 10:07:30 PM »
I'd love to see Skuz join this topic. Or does he never post on anything outside of "See Rule x"* and Tech Support?

*- of the like explaining it in borderline topics.

Okay! Back to the topic of fishing.
Landing is overrated.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
You just have to use the right bait for skuzzy, no pun intended.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 06:03:58 AM »
Im hitting the Canyon and Hotdog off Jersey this weekend for Yellowfin, all the fishing reports say they are hammering them!!  I was reading one fishing report that a Capt had 5 hooked up at once, caught 3 and the other 2 spit the hook. Total catch for the day 25 fish, with one being 145lbs
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 08:36:21 AM »
Yellowfin go up to 400+ pounds...
The cousin of the Yellowfin, otherwise known as the Bluefin, can get muy grande :aok
Imagine hooking into a 1000lb fish  :x :x :x
Landing is overrated.