Author Topic: P51's for sale  (Read 7133 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
P51's for sale
« on: July 21, 2010, 05:47:51 PM »
If ya got a few pennies saved up. you can own a real P51.

Including this one

You can get a replica for even less

http://www.controller.com/list/list.aspx?OHID=1133327&Manu=NORTH%20AMERICAN&Mdltxt=P-51%20MUSTANG&MdlX=Contains&notfound=1
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: P51's for sale
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »
Chalenge is selling his P-51? 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »

If ya got a few pennies saved up. you can own a real P51.

You can get a replica for even less

You are probably better off to save a little more though as the replicas are a little dodgy  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:00:19 PM »

You are probably better off to save a little more though as the replicas are a little dodgy  :lol :lol :lol :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

What... the.. hell!?  :rofl :rofl :rofl
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:37 PM »

You are probably better off to save a little more though as the replicas are a little dodgy  :lol :lol :lol :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

Ummmm....

That's an Van's RV-8.    Nobody is trying to, nor ever has tried to pass it off as a P-51 replica. And they are in no way "dodgy"  IMO Van's makes the best kit planes on the market today.  I watched an RV-6, RV-8 and RV-4 do a formation low pass at the local airport a few weeks ago when I went to see the B-17 Aluminum Overcast.  They came in fast, buzzed the tarmac, then banked to at least 60° while climbing out a heck of a lot faster then any Cessna, Piper or and Cirruss prop plane could even dream of.  Build one yourself and save's a bunch of money over a factory plane too.

Also I seem to recall that Hitech flies a RV-8... so it must be fantastic.  :aok

There are some good P-51 kits out there though, used to be a really neat composite airframe turbine powerplant one called thunder mustang... but I don't think they sell them any more.

I've seen a 3/4 scale home-built P-51 replica with a Lycoming 540 powerplant once, it looked, and sounded fantastic.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:04:47 PM »
Ummmm....

That's an Van's RV-8.    Nobody is trying to, nor ever has tried to pass it off as a P-51 replica. And they are in no way "dodgy"  IMO Van's makes the best kit planes on the market today.  I watched an RV-6, RV-8 and RV-4 do a formation low pass at the local airport a few weeks ago when I went to see the B-17 Aluminum Overcast.  They came in fast, buzzed the tarmac, then banked to at least 60° while climbing out a heck of a lot faster then any Cessna, Piper or and Cirruss prop plane could even dream of.  Build one yourself and save's a bunch of money over a factory plane too.

LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:41:55 AM »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 01:54:30 AM »
There are some good P-51 kits out there though, used to be a really neat composite airframe turbine powerplant one called thunder mustang... but I don't think they sell them any more.

They are looking for investors but... seriously... would you start up something right now?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 02:14:49 AM »
i found this P-47 for sale... :(

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/REPUBLIC-P-47D/REPUBLIC-P-47D/1145915.htm

We started the restorations in 91-92...

too bad i didnt have an extra 2mil so i could buy it and bring it back to AH...
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:01 AM »
=/ I wish I got the money  :lol
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »

You are probably better off to save a little more though as the replicas are a little dodgy  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Then why don't you buy a brand-new one?

I AM DEAD SERIOUS. There is a German company that is building brand-new P-51 airframes, to original factory spec (with the one difference being that modern machinery can put it together much better then the originals.) They started out building brand-new Fw-190 airframes! And there's even a group out there building brand-new Me-262s, including the engines, although they are not at the point where they're outright manufacturing new airframes for commercial sale.

I want to be perfectly clear- brand-new P-51 and Fw-190 airframes are being built. Not a 3/4ths replica with a lawnmower engine; no, a real P-51 airframe. (You'll still never be able to afford one in your lifetime, but hey, it's cool!) One of the problems with old warbirds is that they've got 60+ years of strain and metal fatigue on their airframes; you have to fly them conservatively and they won't last forever. With these kits being built... these planes can take to the air in mint condition once again. And for "cheaper," too; the kit is $475,000 and the site claims you can put together a whole aircraft for around $750,000. (That translates to buying the Merlin engine, of which there are quite a few still floating around, in great condition.) Of course there are approximately eleventy billion small parts (landing gear light mounts and the like) which one would have to aqquire, but the point is that odds and ends of complete P-51s are much more plentiful then P-51 airframes themselves.

Apologies for the words words words, but every time I think about the rebirth of two of the most iconic fighter planes ever to fly, I get excited.  :banana:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:54:38 AM by Demetrious »

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 12:27:28 PM »
Ummmm....

Also I seem to recall that Hitech flies a RV-8... so it must be fantastic.  :aok

I've seen a 3/4 scale home-built P-51 replica with a Lycoming 540 powerplant once, it looked, and sounded fantastic.

You from Eastern PA?

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 12:27:55 PM »
@ Demetrious

its not a brand new P-51 though. Its a replica. even though its full scale, the only way it could be a "real" P-51 is if it was made by Boeing as they own the Rights to the model since they bought out NAA.

and if you are talking about the 262 that i think you are, its also a replica as they had to make it completely from scratch.

But here is the thing. What do people consider replicas and what are the real thing?

personally, if its not the same scale and not made by the origional company or whoever has the rights to the origional plane, then its a replica. If its a war bird and is made by a new company way after it was withdrawn from service, its a replica.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
He was careful to say they are building brand new airframes, but I kind of think you're just splitting hairs here anyway.  :bolt:
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »
He was careful to say they are building brand new airframes, but I kind of think you're just splitting hairs here anyway.  :bolt:
and he also references a 3/4 scale P-51 with a lawnmower engine as an airframe. So in that context, i assumed that the P-51 Airframe above woud be a fair good size kit with alot of new parts.

But even if it is just the frame itself, i still wouldnt call it a new P-51. If they are building them for the purpose to make "new" P-51 i still say its a replica. Now if they are building a frame to keep an existing, "old" but an actual P-51 flying then i would say its still a real P-51. There is a double standard there, but if i were to buy one, thats how i would look at it.

if i bought the new airframe to make into a P-51, i would say its a P-51 replica as some finishing parts were from real P-51(s) but the airframe itself was built to be made into a "new" P-51.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:02:39 PM by flight17 »