Author Topic: ENY vs Arena Cap  (Read 2360 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: ENY vs Arena Cap
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
Most people learn fairly early on that just because they have a right to be a jerk and can be, does not mean other people have to except there jerkiness and nor is it wise to be one.

But then there are the exceptional few that do not understand that they are not the worlds navel.

HiTech

I did not completely understand that one, but it does not mean I didn't laugh my bellybutton off when I read it.

As for the ENY complaints?  I still do not get it.

As a member of JG11 I only fly German planes (occasionally a Macchi).

The German plane set runs the entire gamut from low to high ENY planes. 

I have, and only on a few occasions, not been able to field SOME form of aircraft to a fight without needing to switch sides. 

It's amazing what you and a wingman can do with a pair of Emils   :rock

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2010, 01:10:23 AM »
Some have changed already.  The Hurri 2c in EW went from 10 to 5  :aok.  I personally think it should be perked too.  :t

That is good, not sure what needs it in the mid war but the late there are a lot that needs it.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 02:46:40 AM »
I don't get it!!. These guys intent on flying for a just 1 country are usually the ones that have problems when ENY kicks in.

FSO, DA arena, WW1 arena; Do you really care if you are nit, bish or rook? why should the MA be any different? Typical answers are:

"I like flying with guys that I know". Its the same on all countries. All 3 have the same type of camaraderie, and when given a chance to know everyone, you'll soon figure out that guy thats notorious for shooting you down that you developed a hatred for is really a nice guy when you are both green.

"My squaddies like flying for the XXX"- Its much easier to get your guys to switch countries than it is to switch arenas, especially during caps. Plus if ENY kicks in, you can quickly look at the map and see if there is action on the other 2 countries front's.

My utmost favorite time to play is when a map is about to be reset by a country and their ENY maxes out at 29. You switch to the lowest # side when while they are scrambling to get 25 free perks and win the war, you can easily surpass those perks by getting just a couple kills in a mediocre AC on the low #s side.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:46 AM »
I think the majority deal with eny by simply logging off or heading in here to beat on seals.  While you could say, "well then, mission accomplished,"  I would think the goal is to keep the customers in game.  I could be wrong, but I bet everyone in here has done that as a response to eny MANY times.  Nor am I saying I like the option HT suggested.  I may have to relinquish it is the lesser of two evils.

You would be very wrong ... I have never logged because of ENY restrictions. There are way to many planes available to fly when ENY kicks in.

The game is not limiting you ... you are limiting yourself ... if you can't adjust and it causes you to log off ... then ENY is working.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
they could limit the number of each side that can enter the same grid

I hope you are joking -what would they do, program it so that aircraft would bounce off the "boundary line" as they tried to enter the grid? 

I like ENY in general - what I would like even more is if there were a workable system that would localize it.   At times, while the players numbers are generally even, what you have is two hordes, each flying against a handful of defenders.  Ideally, it would be nice if the players in your general area determined ENY, as that would break up the hording faster than anything else. But I've spent a considerable amount of time thinking through the design, and every thing I could think of breaks some even more important aspect of gameplay. This is the most common reason I change arenas if you want to know the truth - I dislike being on either side of "The Hammer".   The other reason I change arena's is that there are just some maps I don't enjoy flying on.

One aspect of squadron play as it pertains to ENY is that it's sets up what's essentially a paradox.  If you have a squadron that flies religiously for a single chess piece, then the simple "just change sides" is a contradiction - they can't because they never do. 

But when I did fly for squadron that was open to switching around to even things out, what invariably happened is that much of the time we discuss switching, but couldn't  - one or more guys had switched when they came on in order to fly for the side we were flying for when they joined the game, and they couldn't switch, so none of us did.  So while we as a squadron were open to the idea conceptually, in practice, it was generally a no go, too.  Perhaps that could be alleviated if the side switch penalty were adjusted by the imbalance, such that it's relaxed if the player is switching to the side with significantly less players? 

Again, not complaining, things generally work, but if they worked better, I wouldn't complain.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »
I think the majority deal with eny by simply logging off or heading in here to beat on seals.  While you could say, "well then, mission accomplished,"  I would think the goal is to keep the customers in game.  I could be wrong, but I bet everyone in here has done that as a response to eny MANY times.  Nor am I saying I like the option HT suggested.  I may have to relinquish it is the lesser of two evils.

Many change sides.

I don't change sides because of ENY though, I change because I see one side with low numbers. Rarely does eny affect the 38s. It helps keep the game healthy and you meet lots of folks on all sides.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
I hope you are joking -what would they do, program it so that aircraft would bounce off the "boundary line" as they tried to enter the grid? 

I like ENY in general - what I would like even more is if there were a workable system that would localize it.   At times, while the players numbers are generally even, what you have is two hordes, each flying against a handful of defenders.  Ideally, it would be nice if the players in your general area determined ENY, as that would break up the hording faster than anything else. But I've spent a considerable amount of time thinking through the design, and every thing I could think of breaks some even more important aspect of gameplay. This is the most common reason I change arenas if you want to know the truth - I dislike being on either side of "The Hammer".   The other reason I change arena's is that there are just some maps I don't enjoy flying on.

One aspect of squadron play as it pertains to ENY is that it's sets up what's essentially a paradox.  If you have a squadron that flies religiously for a single chess piece, then the simple "just change sides" is a contradiction - they can't because they never do. 

But when I did fly for squadron that was open to switching around to even things out, what invariably happened is that much of the time we discuss switching, but couldn't  - one or more guys had switched when they came on in order to fly for the side we were flying for when they joined the game, and they couldn't switch, so none of us did.  So while we as a squadron were open to the idea conceptually, in practice, it was generally a no go, too.  Perhaps that could be alleviated if the side switch penalty were adjusted by the imbalance, such that it's relaxed if the player is switching to the side with significantly less players? 

Again, not complaining, things generally work, but if they worked better, I wouldn't complain.

<S>

....and so by making the above decision the other is made for you.... ENY restrictions. My squad can and will switch sides, but we almost never do, we just use whats available and have fun together..... that IS the reason these guy won't switch right? Have fun TOGETHER?  :D

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »
 If you have a squadron that flies religiously for a single chess piece, then the simple "just change sides" is a contradiction - they can't because they never do.  

....and so by making the above decision the other is made for you.... ENY restrictions. My squad can and will switch sides, but we almost never do, we just use whats available and have fun together..... that IS the reason these guy won't switch right? Have fun TOGETHER?  :D

Exactly.  They've made a decision - but then (some of them, as the OP shows) want changes to accommodate their inflexibility.  

The point though that I was making was that even a squadron that is willing to change sides for balance can run into trouble, caused by their very flexibility - on average, 2 of 3 squadmates that sign on end up changing sides as soon as they sign on, and then the whole squadron is "stuck" for the period, unless they are willing to leave someone behind.  

We solved it by flying whatever was available, and having fun anyway - but I wanted to point out that the "just change sides" solution can present problems for a squadron for other reasons than just "chess piece loyalty".

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 04:37:16 PM »
But when I did fly for squadron that was open to switching around to even things out, what invariably happened is that much of the time we discuss switching, but couldn't  - one or more guys had switched when they came on in order to fly for the side we were flying for when they joined the game, and they couldn't switch, so none of us did.  So while we as a squadron were open to the idea conceptually, in practice, it was generally a no go, too.

This happens to my squad, and we switch sides all the time.  We just tune to squad channel and can talk across countries just fine.  We chat and BS and have just as much fun - because we are online at the same time in the same arena.  Sure it's fun to fly on the same side, but I had a blast the other night flying against a squaddie for over an hour.  If flying against each other is a "problem", then just find out where they are and don't go there.  Eventually, the timer resets and everyone can join up on the low-number side - whichever it turns out to be at that time.

Like I've said before, ENY is not the problem.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
This happens to my squad, and we switch sides all the time.  We just tune to squad channel and can talk across countries just fine.  We chat and BS and have just as much fun - because we are online at the same time in the same arena.  Sure it's fun to fly on the same side, but I had a blast the other night flying against a squaddie for over an hour. 

Our squad balances sides as one of its fundamental principles.  We're always flying against each other, talking to each other while we do so.  It's really quite a lot of fun.

"Hah!  You missed!"

"I'm just playing with my food."

- oldman

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 07:06:18 PM »

I was  :)