Author Topic: New Sounds  (Read 695 times)

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
New Sounds
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:48:16 AM »
I would have to say that the visible object update is great, but the sound system lacks important options, first when I head someone talking on range or Squad Channel it sounds like they are using a Kazoo, second Flaps, Landing Gear sound are very faint when trying to control your volumes so your own engine sound doesn't make you go deaf. I think some more debugging is needed to be put into this before it was released. I worked with my sound card and game settings for over hour with no real gains at all. One other thing I noticed is the sight pipers are larger now, I don't have to much of a problem except with the plane that have the small sight glass, while I think having a easier way to adjust the piper size without zooming would be a good option.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:12:44 AM by DCCBOSS »
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline DeViouS1

• Zinc Member
Re: New Sounds
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
If I'm not mistaking there is. If you look on the home page where what the patch updated I believe it addressed that.
"Behold the pale horse... And the man who rode upon it was death, and hell followed with him"  "revelations"

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »
We are going to just have to get use to the way the sounds are now. For example, not being able to control individual sounds. According to Pyro, the changes were intentional. "No other game does that".
If you don't like a sound (like the base siren) you can just delete the .wav file. A very poor second over controlling the sounds but nothing else we can do.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline GlassJaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »
With the current setup you have to turn your sounds way down to not go deaf... but when you are sitting still with engine off in a gv, you should (and want to) be able to hear whats going on around you. But... you cant hear because you had to turn your sounds down.  The fix is to allow another sound volume setting for gv's that are sitting still w/o engines running.  

I appreciate the intent of why the sound settings have changed... you should not be able to turn your vehicle/aircraft sounds down and turn external sounds up in an effort to better hear the external sounds... the ratio of internal vs external sounds should be locked.  However, this is a war game, war is loud and lots of folks go deaf while operating war machinery.  I dont want to go deaf... and yet I still want a comfortable yet fair and engaging gaming experiance.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:21:52 AM by GlassJaw »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
We are going to just have to get use to the way the sounds are now. For example, not being able to control individual sounds. According to Pyro, the changes were intentional. "No other game does that".
If you don't like a sound (like the base siren) you can just delete the .wav file. A very poor second over controlling the sounds but nothing else we can do.

No you can't. You must REPLACE to offending file with a new one. The new file can either be an edited file lowering the volume, or a blank file you can make by recording dead air for a second or two. Then place the new files in the sounds folder.

If you just delete the offending sound file it will just default back to the stock sound file that comes with the game.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
Have you tried changing any of the options in the drop down menus?

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 11:07:05 AM »
Have you tried changing any of the options in the drop down menus?

The problem with that gyrene is that it reduces all sounds at the same time. You can't reduce just the siren or an idling engine for example.  Or have the sounds of flaps/gear boosted a tad. Flew a Tiffy this morning. By the time I reduced the engine noise so it wasn't so annoying, I couldn't hear anything.  Realism is all well and good, but that steady engine roar wears you out quick.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »
The problem with that gyrene is that it reduces all sounds at the same time. You can't reduce just the siren or an idling engine for example.  Or have the sounds of flaps/gear boosted a tad. Flew a Tiffy this morning. By the time I reduced the engine noise so it wasn't so annoying, I couldn't hear anything.  Realism is all well and good, but that steady engine roar wears you out quick.
Must be my sound card then, nothing but the annoying air raid siren has been over powering.  :headscratch:

Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS_10ECE601&REV_1001
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
         Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6101 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: n/a
          Date and Size: 6/21/2010 14:55:18, 2359200 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
         HW Accel Level: Basic
              Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »
"No other game does that"

So if all make stupid thing, then what do we do?

:salute

mobilis in mobile

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »

So if all make stupid thing, then what do we do?

:salute

I guess. But that's what he said.

Thanks for the correction Fugitive.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
There's a lot of sounds that are now playing, or playing so low we I cant hear them.  some rudders, wheels, up/down, cannons (sound just like mg) etc.  The weirdest thing is that when they released the first update couple of months ago, I could hear everything, it was awesome, but later I was flying around with an il2 wheels down because I probably pressed the wrong key and thought the wheels were up.

also i can hear airplanes engines in surround sound most of the time.  sometimes the sound comes from the wrong direction.

semp
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:12:55 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Hi all!

What I'm doing now, was posted answering to Madda in this topic, "sounds question"

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,293336.0.html

I'll cross post it here.

"I use some custom sounds and if I decreased effects volume, in order to to hear voice at an acceptable level, other sounds like gear, stress, flaps etc, were practically muted.

So, I opened the engine sounds I use most, with a Wave editor and decreased engine volumes.

Am using Wavosaur editor, a small, free editor that requires no installation(just unzip to any folder) and is very easy to use and effective.

Get it here:

http://www.wavosaur.com/download.php

Then just open an "eng.wav" file, for example, click on Edit, Select all.

Then click on Process, Volume, Custom. On the input box, type the desired value in dB, positive(no sign) or negative (- sign) for increasing or decreasing volume.

You'll have to experiment to find desired level to your taste.

Lastly click on File, Save as, and save your eng file with a different name, eng_lo.wav for ex. Now rename the original wave file to something like eng.bak in order to preserve it.

Rename the eng_lo.wav file to eng.wav and copy it to the desired folder.

I decreased my eng.wav files about 12-13 dB so now I can hear other effects and voice adequately.

Hope this helps."

Mutley   :salute
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
Thanks Muttley   :cheers:

It's going to take me an hour to change all the sounds files to be like they were before the change to the new sound system.     
I don't mind the new terrains but your sound fix will help me be a lot less annoyed at this latest update.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 03:25:24 PM »
Thanks Muttley   :cheers:

It's going to take me an hour to change all the sounds files to be like they were before the change to the new sound system.     
I don't mind the new terrains but your sound fix will help me be a lot less annoyed at this latest update.

I donīt know which file manager you are using.

To do all that renaming, copying, saving etc am using a free file manager, File Commander, get it here:

http://www.freecommander.com/

I made a copy of full Aces High "sounds" folder to another place. I open the 2 folders, original and copy, side by side in File Commander , and work with both. That saves a lot of work.

Mutley :salute

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »
Muttley
I gave it a try. I actually already had a Wav file editor. Came with my sound card. I reduced the sounds of some of my engines, and it work! thanks.
Only thing I notice is all other sounds seems to have gotten quieter as well. I maxed out the environment and effects sliders but it didn't help.
Oh well, at least this is an improvement.  Thanks again.