Author Topic: Frustration  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: A suggestion
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »
Since the stated goal of ENY is to prevent superior forces with perked aircraft from rolling countries with inferior numbers, do this.

Make ENY local. If there are 80 bish on and 30 rooks, it matters not one wit unless those 80 are gang banging on the thirty. In reality, it's more likely that it's smaller groups going against each other. So, base the ENY on the uppers from local bases, not overall. Got a CV off a rook base? If 5 Bish up against five rooks...no local ENY, if 40 Bish up, then the ENY goes up (consistent with the overall ENY scheme). Obviously if the overall numbers are even, then by all means, gang bang a field, but if not, don't punish a few guys looking for a fair fight.

Your idea is good but not practical to our situation.  IE: One of the reasons the current system came into existence were huge/massive missions being organized at specific times, often times drawing participants from all coutnries to just one for one sortie.  These missions would up long distances away from the target and then proceed forward a good distance to reach their target.  How would your system help a country with the lowest numbers defending against a ~60 player horde coming in at 25-30k that upped from a base 6-8 full sectors (~half the map) away?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Frustration
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
Eny & how to defend a base? :headscratch: Well the old reliable always is available & you can kill the attackers from 6k or better away. Try the joys of the soft gun :aok Nothing better than killing Chogs off a carrier trying to pad his fighter rank score by vulching. The Pm's are always priceless. Since no one hardly uses them if it gets blown up you still have several more to try bust up the cap.  :old:

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »
Maybe even up the cost of the plane mid flight given the number of opponets. As far as I'm concerned, anything that makes people more afraid to die is good.

Only perked planes cost anything to fly.  ENY has nothing to do with making a plane cost something - it does, however, affect how much that perked plane costs.  For myself, I fly non-perked, high ENY planes - mainly Hurri Mk1, A6M2 and SpitV so ENY has no effect on me; they don't cost anything and are always available.

Now, how would you feel if you took off in a perked plane for 20 perkies in a local area where your side had 5 and the other side had 5.  By the time you get 10 miles from your base, 25 more lemmings upped on your side to go vulching or help roll the enemy base.  So, you've been in the air for a few minutes and now your 20-perkie plane gets shot down by one of the outnumbered defenders and you lose 150 perkies.  Is that fair?  You upped when the numbers were even; not your fault more green guys showed up to skew the odds.

Nope, ENY cannot be localized.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline sycodon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
If thats not a option sounds like country change in game or move to a new time zone.

Putting my house up for sale tonight. The kids? Maybe I can sell them too.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 06:12:17 PM »
I just log out when I'm frustrated.  :O
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »

And now, just for you Librals,
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
The kids? Maybe I can sell them too.
Blues Brothers restaurant scene comes to mind :)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 06:49:17 PM »
ENY doesn't kick in quick enough IMO.  It should force people out of the 5 ENY planes (or force them to move to another country) much sooner than it does now.  I would even go so far as to say that the game would be improved if the 5 ENY planes were thought of as a reward for playing on the under-staffed side.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »
Golly-Geened?
 :x
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
This is not intended to be a smart arsed post but may I suggest the AVA when it has traffic?   Planesets are generally equally matched and, from past experience, it can be a lot of fun.  There's a scenario coming up soon that looks extremely interesting. Check with Oldman for details. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »
Since the stated goal of ENY is to prevent superior forces with perked aircraft from rolling countries with inferior numbers, do this.

Make ENY local. If there are 80 bish on and 30 rooks, it matters not one wit unless those 80 are gang banging on the thirty. In reality, it's more likely that it's smaller groups going against each other. So, base the ENY on the uppers from local bases, not overall. Got a CV off a rook base? If 5 Bish up against five rooks...no local ENY, if 40 Bish up, then the ENY goes up (consistent with the overall ENY scheme). Obviously if the overall numbers are even, then by all means, gang bang a field, but if not, don't punish a few guys looking for a fair fight.

Yet another "Someone should bell the cat.  Life would be so much better".

Think about it.  

Local ENY is a great idea, and a stone cold b***** to design.  The fight's even numbers until one side takes the hangers down.  Now, because they've closed the hangers for the other side, they suddenly have an ENY of 25, even though the other side actually outnumbers them?  Tell me again that that would work...???

My squadmates and I want to take off from an airbase that's a ways behind the lines.  But there's no enemy nearby, so we have ENY, and can't.  Hmmmm.  That's a bit of a problem...

The arena's just reset.  There's no one in the air on either side.  How do you start up local ENY?

Design a workable system that resolves those issues without breaking more than it fixes and then post it in the wishlist forum.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
Starting August 19th,  a proposed scenario covering 5 maps with base capture points tallied up,   I'd say that be the perfect place for a fight,  and capturing fields.

THe main arena lately is all wrong,  the map NEVER rotates out yet the countries  trade positions on the 'reset'  of the map.   What is what that???    Getting very  boring very quickly  flying in the same same map in the Main 'pink' arena.

AvA looking better starting August 19th for that week's rotation.
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
THe main arena lately is all wrong,  the map NEVER rotates out yet the countries  trade positions on the 'reset'  of the map.   What is what that???    

This is just a result of the new tour arena reset. Maps never change on this occasion and never had. The map is still changed every tuesday with the beginning of TT.

The only thing being different "lately" is that player induced map changes (aka "we won the war!") are very, very difficult now due to the new town and Vbase layouts.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »
Pfffft....up A20's and ram them.  Next topic.

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline sycodon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »
 How would your system help a country with the lowest numbers defending against a ~60 player horde coming in at 25-30k that upped from a base 6-8 full sectors (~half the map) away?

Since I'm just making this up as I go, how about this... First, all this happens within the current ENY parameters. So none of it applies when the numbers are even.

As the horde approaches, the cost of the aircraft starts to increase...even for non-perked aircraft (yes, they have no cost...give them one in this case). Nothing dissuades someone from hoarding when it may cost you 30-40 points.

If they arrive and the OPFOR has matching numbers, then the costs stay as is. As the OPFOR are knocked down, the costs go up.

So you can up a perked plane or ENY 5 plane from the rear, but when you arrive, you better be careful or you will lose many points.