Author Topic: Any Astronomers out there ???  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: Any Astronomers out there ???
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
Its alright Lyric and those dweebs are not worth it. You see... the internet is broken and trolls like these dweebs are just a very tiny part of the problem.

http://www.philoking.com/2009/06/10/trent-reznor-learns-that-idiots-rule-the-internet/

Yup, all those internet scams going on...

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
Not even funny since people died.

+1
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »
BEAR, BOOOO HISSS BOOO (hits bear in the head with orange) get off the stage! :D

Astrology he asks? Is that girl at the grocery store into you? Is a new job in your future? What the heck is that alien embrio in the sky? Call me

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:49:17 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »
BEAR, BOOOO HISSS BOOO (hits bear in the head with orange) get off the stage! :D

Astrology he asks? Is that girl at the grocery store into you? Is a new job in your future? What the heck is that alien embrio in the sky? Call me

(Image removed from quote.)
Now that is funny :aok

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »
I read the title and only Chalenge came to mind(being in general section and all).

:rofl Bear  :aok

Lyric......you read too deep into these furoms<facepalm>
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
I read the title and only Chalenge came to mind(being in general section and all).

:rofl Bear  :aok

Lyric......you read too deep into these furoms<facepalm>
You have to think beyond this game even with this above text it looks like you might have Furballs on the mind. :D

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »
This photo was taken from the top of the Lomond Hills In Fife Scotland on Thursday night at 12:15pm by my Father.     ( he is a keen Photographer )

It is a photo of a star that was roughly in the Eastern Sky. And when he tried to view it on Photo Shop elements 8 today it looked a little wierd to him not like what it did with the naked eye. So i did a bit of investigation and zoomed in whilst enhancing the photo at various stages. Now this is as far as i can zoom in and it doesnt look like a star anymore. So if you are - say an or know an astronomers or Intrested in astronomy as a hobby please can you help with this it's mind boggeling   :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Here is the picture :)

(Image removed from quote.)

Definitely movement. i don't know much about exposures times but i do know that anything that zooms in that far will be effected by even the slightest of movements, even those movements are undetectable by the human eye.

As for the tripod having spikes or flat feet, it really doesn't matter because these do help but do not make the tripod movement-proof. Think about when you try taking that perfect picture of lights while driving by in the night time or of that perfect Christmas tree from last year while all the room lights were out.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:42 PM »
need more info: What was it taken with Telescope or camera ,what size scope if done with just a camera lens, how long was the exposure time(if on a clock drive). It looks like a fast exposure.I can say the tail was from camera movement

With a 200mm lense and around 40 second's exposure time i believe but will ask and post more  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:09:49 PM by BulletVI »
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Re: Any Astrologers out there ???
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »
HMM the wind maybe but the camera was on a tripod and the tripod has spikes as well as flat feet for stability. And a remote switch was used. As for the wind i wasn't there and my fathers is ZZZZZZZZZZZZing at the moment. So i don't know.

I was thinking that it was something to do with the Solar flare that happened. My dad thinks he has caught a sun going super nova as he is saying it was brighter than the north star :)

A star going super nova would make major news and be the brightest object in the sky by a wide margin (depending on its distance from the Earth) and we'd see about it in every paper and all over the internet.  Like others have said, it's just scope movement.  Here's a couple of articles about supernovas so you can see what I'm talking about: http://discovermagazine.com/1999/sep/astaristorn1685/?searchterm=supernova
http://discovermagazine.com/2002/nov/featsky/?searchterm=supernova
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/may/death-star/

You can see the same effect if you use TrackIR with Aces High, zoom in all the way and try and keep an object in view.  It moves around in exactly the pattern that pic leaves, looks exactly the same way, exactly. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
Re: Any Astrologers out there ???
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 11:03:25 PM »
A star going super nova would make major news and be the brightest object in the sky by a wide margin (depending on its distance from the Earth) and we'd see about it in every paper and all over the internet.  Like others have said, it's just scope movement.  Here's a couple of articles about supernovas so you can see what I'm talking about: http://discovermagazine.com/1999/sep/astaristorn1685/?searchterm=supernova
http://discovermagazine.com/2002/nov/featsky/?searchterm=supernova
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/may/death-star/

You can see the same effect if you use TrackIR with Aces High, zoom in all the way and try and keep an object in view.  It moves around in exactly the pattern that pic leaves, looks exactly the same way, exactly. 

Ah cool but as it was taken the night after the solar flare hit the earth is it not also possible that that has efected the picture in some way. he may have picked up risidual traces of the solar flare passing in front of the star i dont know to me it's a UFO :lol
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Digr1

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 01:10:04 AM »
With a 200mm lense and around 40 second's exposure time i believe but will ask and post more  :)

200mm lens if it was mounted at a single point instead of a cradle it was definitely camera movement, I use a 200 mm lens to but it mounted on a schmitt-casigran with a cradle to stop wobble (200 mm is a long lens)
with a starmate tracking system to follow the night sky( remember we rotate the sky does not). Also you might want to try using a ccd camera with a telescope and drive motor. 40 sec stationary will create trails.
at a close look you might have caught a star cluster(do you know what constellation it was in?) try looking at the negative through a micro scope. If you can get the info on what constellation it was I can search The area with a 10 in SC with a ccd and get a good clear pic and even add some color with filters. Yes my hobby is astronomy for about the last 15 or so years. If you want to buy a scope try starting with a Newtonion or Dobsonion not great for photos but you can get a 12in light bucket for around a grand. Check Orion or Mead for exact prices. I know this doesn't help but to be correct we need info. also if you decide to get a scope I suggest at least a 10 in you start to get color at 10 in and above instead of white lights.For more help just PM me that way it doesent get side traced. By the way if a solar flair hit the earth and not stopped by the atmosphere non of us would be here to read this. And the last time we seen a super nova from earth was in the 300 in china now known as the crab nebula.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:18:13 AM by Digr1 »

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 01:19:10 AM »
Ah cool but as it was taken the night after the solar flare hit the earth is it not also possible that that has efected the picture in some way. he may have picked up risidual traces of the solar flare passing in front of the star i dont know to me it's a UFO :lol

No, it is not possible, it is only camera movement.  To the best of my knowledge the only visual indications of a solar flare are auroras.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 01:42:19 AM »

Hide behind your anonymity little boy. I bet it makes you feel real important.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 01:47:37 AM »
lyric you are only looking for an argument in this thread. The fact that he said 'chalenger' was insinuating that Challenger is an alt monkey in game. Your intentions are very apparent to us, so we feel no remorse for laughing at the Spaceship Chalenger. It would be just the same as if it were spaceship akak, so stop trying to put a guilt trip on anyone for having a little fun.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 01:51:33 AM »
No, it is not possible, it is only camera movement. 

+1 > I've taken plenty of pictures at night with varying settings*, I've seen this plenty of times. It is merely camera movement.

*(both camera settings and environmental settings)
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok