Author Topic: window mode  (Read 844 times)

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
window mode
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:32:44 PM »
Kind of getting tired of always being sent to my desktop because i want to switch arenas. Every time the game shuts down to my desktop and
I have to close the window and restart EVERY time.
Please for the love of God get rid of the window mode. It happens every time you install it .
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: window mode
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
You may be the only one with the issue. I can change arenas, alt-tab out and back in all with out an issue. You most likely have something else causing the trouble. More details, what exactly happens when you do what?

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
No problems changing arenas here either.

You might want to post in the technical support forum, or contact HTC directly. I'm sure they can get you straightened out.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
It is simple. I get into an arena and when I change , The Window puts me back into my desktop. I then have to right click and close the window as it will not let me maximise it again. It has done this every time they installed window mode. Here is a dxdiag

Time of this report: 8/7/2010, 18:12:31
       Machine name: CHRIS-PC
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
       System Model: SX2800
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q8200  @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4062MB RAM
          Page File: 1304MB used, 6815MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:43:52 PM »
That paging file is huge.  :huh I hope that's not where it is when you get ready to play AH.

If you haven't already done it. Try right clicking on your desktop icon, the properties, then on the shortcut tab, to the right of the word "run", set it to maximized. See what happens.

It was a fairly common issue when windowed mode was first tried, now it seems to be almost non-existent. Skuzzy or Pyro posted some suggestion to "fix" it, but I can't recall exactly what it was.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
It actually is , but I will try to fiddle aroound with the settings and see what I can do. Thanks. :salute

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:59:34 PM »
You may be the only one with the issue. I can change arenas, alt-tab out and back in all with out an issue. You most likely have something else causing the trouble. More details, what exactly happens when you do what?

He's not. I have the same issue.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:47:54 AM »
It actually is , but I will try to fiddle aroound with the settings and see what I can do. Thanks. :salute
Geez, that's way too big, even for 8GB RAM. I'm surprised you don't have other issues going on. What all do you have running on that system?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »
Geez, that's way too big, even for 8GB RAM. I'm surprised you don't have other issues going on. What all do you have running on that system?
I have three slot games loaded and that is all. I made a mistake and bought a small micro computer instead of building my own!
but it was only $300.00 so I took a chance .

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
after last patch my AH has reverted to opening minimised again too. minimises when I log out of an arena too. and when I quit AH. when I get it maximised and log in to an arena, I have to alt-tab to the desktop and back again to stop any animated stuff in the background (task bar icons, animated gifs on forum avatars etc.) from flashing over AH. overall  :rolleyes:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »
I have three slot games loaded and that is all. I made a mistake and bought a small micro computer instead of building my own!
but it was only $300.00 so I took a chance .

The build of the computer has nothing to do with page file size. The page file is "virtual RAM" that's on the hard drive instead of in memory. If the page file is huge, that generally means there's far too many programs running.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
Bumped
For those of you that don't have this problem, you're lucky. For those of us that do, it is extremely frustrating to have to reboot the computer everytime you want to change arenas.

Has HTC said what the benefits of going to the Windows Mode are?
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »
I haven't seen anything from HTC, but I can hazard a pretty likely guess.  And that is that in full screen mode, you can't see the pop-ups from the firewall software that so many people run these days, and then the average computer player is often "stuck".  It doesn't work, and they just don't know why.

So having the game launch in windowed mode, and switch to full only when you enter the arena, probably makes life a LOT easier on the support staff, and gives the game a better chance of success with a new player who might be trialing it.

All a guess, of course.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »
The build of the computer has nothing to do with page file size. The page file is "virtual RAM" that's on the hard drive instead of in memory. If the page file is huge, that generally means there's far too many programs running.
Ok so how do I shrink the size of the page file ?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 08:38:50 PM »
Paging file of 1300 for win7 is not too bad.  in XP would be way too much.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.