Author Topic: Young Players  (Read 4131 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Young Players
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »

First report, then squelch.

Anytime you have a community of 500 to 1000 people online your going to have a few bad eggs that think the rules shouldn't apply to them.

That is the sole reason the report function is there, so the community can police itself.

And it works!

as Ghosth has posted, most definitely report them, but to be more precise, make sure you use the .report voice  feature to make sure it gets flagged since 99.9% of the time the cussing comes over the Local Range Channel / Room Channel ( F12 ).......

I myself normally record every single sortie or the whole time I am logged into an arena, my film is rolling, even if I am just sitting in the tower or O'club etc....

I use all of the following:
  • Alt S  for Screenshots of the text buffer ( this screenshots will be located in the main directory of Aces High, normally it is C:\hitech creations\Aces High\  )
  • Alt R  for turning on the Film Recorder ( save film by hitting Alt R again to turn it off, name film for example: gameid_abusive Vox Use
  • email the "gameid_abusive Vox Use.ahf" film to HTC using the Support(at)hitechcreations(dot)com email address
  • .report Voice  ( right click on person's name in the roster then select the appropriate .report function )
  • .report text Chat ( right click on person's name in the roster then select the appropriate .report function )

As Ghosth posted the community has the ability to police themselves, what helps the community do this is, when a Player calls someone out to ask them to stop that particular player's abusiveness, is for others in the vicinity to back the Player up who is calling out the abusive one....... it works the same here as it did in High School, Boot Camp, Active Duty Military, everyday life...... Peer Pressure.....

a player in this game can either be known to be of "Good Sportsmanship"  or can be known as "A Rotten Apple".......

for the ones who insist on keeping up the "rotten apple" attitude, they don't seem to last very long...... or either come back again as another gameid, trying to change their ways, unless they can not put down their awful ways........ and insist on keeping that Rotten Apple medal pinned to their online prsona........ and most everyone in the game will eventually understand what that person is completely about.......

my thinking anyhows.....

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
Agree with everyone here, my 10yrold has been flying since he was 7 ( with dad around of course )
Perma squelch is a great idea, or a way to minimize the chat buffer. Because of dads intrests and  playing this game, his intrest in WWII is unbelieveable. Hes started a collection of WWII books ( up to 30 now ) and a collection of 1/72 WWII aircraft ( about 17 ), Hes the next generation that is gonna keep the memory of these gents that went thru the real thing alive, and pass it on to his kids. Souring the younger generation because grown adults, or squeekers (not all, most of the younger players are great) cant control their mouth is rediculous.

Pnzr,Agent,Mash and others I read your posts, it turns my stomach that your little ones had to hear that.
<S>
Mbailey
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:48:15 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »
As a person who has no chidren and speks two languages English and profanity, I do however have respect for the "squekers" on AH. I believe it is becuase I was young and impressionable once . Parents have enough to worry about these days with drugs predetors and everything else to not have one more thing such as foul language in a game.
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 11:17:22 AM »
To the OP. I am glad this is being brought up. I see guys yelling and cursing at young kids all the time, and it disgusts me. I'm glad you brought this up, Panzerace, it is a serious issue and I don't much appreciate it happening. I will curse occassionally when I'm just out of control, but I try to always limit it to Squad talk and try to stay away from it when youngguns are on vox. We can all lose our temper but verbally abusing a kid in-game is just downright wrong.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 11:55:42 AM »
Just tried it, you do have the option of turning voice all the way down and in essence, disabling vox.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »
Post here the names of players doing this?  We will take care of them  :rock
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »

don't think that i a good idea.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »
It seems people use the F-bomb as though it was just another adjective.

I've been known to use it, but not as an everyday part of my vocabulary.

Shame it's become such a trend in our coarse, disrespectful society.

It's unnecessary and low class in my opinion.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 03:00:11 PM »
As a customer just like everyone else on here I pay my monthly fee.  That being said I have the right to allow my 7 year old son play. I know that squeakers annoy people and that is fine.  What I do not appreciate is people dropping the F bomb at my son. You pay your fees as I do, but who the heck are you to think you have the right to use your foul mouth to give my son a hard time?  I am speaking of few people who have done this to my son and I am not at all to happy about it. Lets try growing up and acting your age. Please do not do this again to any of our young players who share our interest.  You do not own the game, the arenas or the radio channels.  If need be try squelching, that is why its there, otherwise lay off.  I am guilty of using not such nice words sometimes in the heat of the moment, but to blatantly attach a child like this is an unacceptable act.  I am sure someone will reply with a negative post and tell me why I am wrong for posting this.  Lets try for once to let a series post stay that way and get some results and not negative waves.  To all those who respect this post  :salute

Although sometimes I let myself slip, I don't do it on open vox, (though I have hit the wrong transmit button, thinking I was on squad) and had to apologize afterwards.

I let my nephew play AH when his parents visited me last year and had a very similar thing happen.  Of course, when I complained about it, there was a very serious push on here to get me thrown off the game for violating terms of service (by some of the same folks commenting on this thread now) and letting another person utilize my account.  I complained about this 10 year old kid getting PM'd and told he was a "blankety blank" after he shot someone down.  Next thing I know, people at the top are telling me that's a TOS violation and my IP address may be permanently blocked.  All because I complained about the very same thing.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
Offline I can curl your hair with a string of expletives that I'm capable of spewing.  Online or in public I have an off switch.  Jacking with a kid is dead wrong I don't care if you're cussing or not.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »
Although sometimes I let myself slip, I don't do it on open vox, (though I have hit the wrong transmit button, thinking I was on squad) and had to apologize afterwards.

I let my nephew play AH when his parents visited me last year and had a very similar thing happen.  Of course, when I complained about it, there was a very serious push on here to get me thrown off the game for violating terms of service (by some of the same folks commenting on this thread now) and letting another person utilize my account.  I complained about this 10 year old kid getting PM'd and told he was a "blankety blank" after he shot someone down.  Next thing I know, people at the top are telling me that's a TOS violation and my IP address may be permanently blocked.  All because I complained about the very same thing.

You'll never see me PM'ing someone in anger Vox or Text.   But unfortunately, your "negative persons" have a very large following of weak-minded lemmings.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
I concur with Panzerace  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
I'm sure I've let a few slip out over the years, (though I REALLY try not to) We curse so much on our channel it's easy to forget which one you're on. As for kids squeaking, I usually don't say anything about it, just squelch their voice, (There's always the remote possibility they might type something I need to know) it's not their fault that vox accentuates their young voices in a most decidedly bad way
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »

That would include the names of a few of the squeakers themselves.  Last night i was witness to one of the 10 year old mouths that everyone thinks is so innocent.  His language was more like that of a seasoned sailor.

Letting the players police and avoid is the best solution.  Adding perma squelch to the already awesome squelch feature allows the game to be filtered to their personal liking better.  Less work for mods, customers, and in the end HTC.  Everyone wins

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
in my VERY first hour here years ago...(of live -fire flying)...I had my nephew sitting with me.....and I saw a fellow rook tangling with an enemy con below.......swooped right on down in front of my fellow rook...and proceded to record my first kill.  I had no idea that was not acceptable.  within three seconds...I did.  I got so many F Bombs hurled at me that I though I was at a gay orgy. I learned two valuable lessons simultaniously.  people drop the F bomb here...a lot....and never rob a kill.

I was still pissed a the guy the next night..and told him so..and why..and he was nothing but cordial and very cool about it once I told him I had my nephew sitting with me the night before.  we both apologized and that was that. (Skyrock...it was you pal...and I have not seen you in a long time...but if you still fly here.. <S>

I've never sworn here...as far as I know.  and I don't think I ever would.  it's not only uncool because of the kids.....but it diminishes the game itself.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:46:02 PM by ZetaNine »