Author Topic: Young Players  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Panzerace

• Zinc Member
Young Players
« on: August 08, 2010, 06:02:41 AM »
As a customer just like everyone else on here I pay my monthly fee.  That being said I have the right to allow my 7 year old son play. I know that squeakers annoy people and that is fine.  What I do not appreciate is people dropping the F bomb at my son. You pay your fees as I do, but who the heck are you to think you have the right to use your foul mouth to give my son a hard time?  I am speaking of few people who have done this to my son and I am not at all to happy about it. Lets try growing up and acting your age. Please do not do this again to any of our young players who share our interest.  You do not own the game, the arenas or the radio channels.  If need be try squelching, that is why its there, otherwise lay off.  I am guilty of using not such nice words sometimes in the heat of the moment, but to blatantly attach a child like this is an unacceptable act.  I am sure someone will reply with a negative post and tell me why I am wrong for posting this.  Lets try for once to let a series post stay that way and get some results and not negative waves.  To all those who respect this post  :salute
“No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country.” GSP

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
Re: Young Players
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 06:16:40 AM »
I agree.

I have a 9 y/o son who likes to play sometimes.

But, I dont let him talk on vox. He wants to. He wants to get into the game. But won't let him talk. For the reasons you stated.

Unfortunatly we dont have an arena wide squelch. We should be able to toggle off all voice comms if we want too.

It is unfortunate that some players treat the young ones with such disrespect.

I will say that many "squeakers" do talk too much and say irrelevant things. When they talk too much that is a problem.

But when you know its a young player we shouldnt treat them like adults who get drunk and mouth off.

Im not sure what to do as this is a mostly an adult game. But I think we should act like adults toward the young players and not treat them like we do adult players who mouth off.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 06:38:03 AM »
I have not tested it but do the new sound settings allow you to turn the "voice" slider all the way down?  Or does that represent your microphone level?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:23:57 AM »
That's what the "report" button is for. I'm all for reporting every one who so much as "slips" and lets a nasty word out. This game is NOT your local biker bar are there ARE kids around, and bad language IS against the rules that EVERYONE agrees to when they signed up (Even if they didn't read the agreement and just hit the "Accept" button).

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 08:24:37 AM »
That's what the report feature is for.  Report it, and let HTC address it - then squelch the offending party to prevent further exposure.   Sorry you have to take action, obviously, you really shouldn't have to.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:28:05 AM »
Squeaker is a mentality, not an age stereotype.
I have flown with squaddies that are half my age, but have twice the maturity level as most do all around. My M.O is to play and let play and if I dont like how someone sounds like on vox or is screaming for me to join their mission on range or text..Ill squelch em.
My wish is that they had a feature to perma-squelch. Its always the same ol people typing in caps to join missions, tell me what to do or act like idiots on 200.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 08:29:09 AM »
As ghastly and fugitive said.

First report, then squelch.

Anytime you have a community of 500 to 1000 people online your going to have a few bad eggs that think the rules shouldn't apply to them.

That is the sole reason the report function is there, so the community can police itself.

And it works!

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 08:33:15 AM »
We need a permanent squelch list!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 08:34:04 AM »
Cc that I only get upset when a young kid talks all the time and gives a play by play of what he's doing.  I have a high pitch voice and lots of times I get pms from eople telling me to shut up squeeker.  I just ignore them.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »
I agree with you but unfortunately only a small minority of players read the BBs so the offending party will most likely never even see your post.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 08:43:29 AM »
Foul language is bad and limits communication.

Squeakers are to be encouraged as they represent present/future targets! It is so short sighted of people to put them down. If you don't like the chatter or the way folks sound just squelch them.

Infidelz

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
Foul language is bad and limits communication.

Squeakers are to be encouraged as they represent present/future targets! It is so short sighted of people to put them down. If you don't like the chatter or the way folks sound just squelch them.

Infidelz

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:15:12 AM »
I have allways hated the kid bashers.  My motto has allways been:  "Today's Rookie ...is Tomorrow's Superstar"

Around the Jan of 2001 our squad signed up a 11 year old kid because his father played.  His Father grew bored and quit Aces,  his son  (Die) flew with us  until he went to College.  The young man got his private pilots licence and last i heard was going for his instrument rating.  He was a heck of a great kid and a darn good stick.  Frankly I miss flying with him.  So the next time you think some kid is squeaker, remember he may achieve more in his/her life then you will.  Show some respect ....show some leadership ....set an example for young people to follow.

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
I have three sons- ages 5 (nearly 6), 9, and 11. All of which have expressed desire to play Aces High. The only way I would allow it at this point is if the H2H feature was still available or use the offline mission feature. Although the .squelch tool is readily useable, you cannot guard against the inevitable "^&*#!!" that slips through before you impliment it.

My sons do have the realization that some adults act less mature than some kids, so for the most part they can overlook the occasional slip. It's a parental judgement of maturity, but it does not excuse the community or my kids from governing themselves.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 09:50:17 AM »
As a customer just like everyone else on here I pay my monthly fee.  That being said I have the right to allow my 7 year old son play. I know that squeakers annoy people and that is fine.  What I do not appreciate is people dropping the F bomb at my son. You pay your fees as I do, but who the heck are you to think you have the right to use your foul mouth to give my son a hard time?  I am speaking of few people who have done this to my son and I am not at all to happy about it. Lets try growing up and acting your age. Please do not do this again to any of our young players who share our interest.  You do not own the game, the arenas or the radio channels.  If need be try squelching, that is why its there, otherwise lay off.  I am guilty of using not such nice words sometimes in the heat of the moment, but to blatantly attach a child like this is an unacceptable act.  I am sure someone will reply with a negative post and tell me why I am wrong for posting this.  Lets try for once to let a series post stay that way and get some results and not negative waves.  To all those who respect this post  :salute

My son had his first kill at age 5 and was promptly the recipient of a PM VOX cuss fest (constant F-bombs, etc).   Sadly, this sweetheart snowballed his way into SAPP and will probably only come out from under his rock because I posted this.

Because of that vox tirade, I rarely let him fly.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC