Author Topic: Young Players  (Read 4127 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Young Players
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 04:44:54 PM »
.  grrr...why cant we delete posts on this board?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 04:50:01 PM »
in my VERY first hour here years ago...(of live -fire flying)...I had my nephew sitting with me.....and I saw a fellow rook tangling with an enemy con below.......swooped right on down in front of my fellow rook...and proceded to record my first kill.  I had no idea that was not acceptable.  within three seconds...I did.  I got so many F Bombs hurled at me that I though I was at a gay orgy. I learned two valuable lessons simultaniously.  people drop the F bomb here...a lot....and never rob a kill.

I was still pissed a the guy the next night..and told him so..and why..and he was nothing but cordial and very cool about it once I told him I had my nephew sitting with me the night before.  we both apologized and that was that. (Skyrock...it was you pal...and I have not seen you in a long time...but if you still fly here.. <S>

I've never sworn here...as far as I know.  and I don't think I ever would.  it's not only uncool because of the kids.....but it diminishes the game itself.

At A19?   I was too busy busting your balls after getting your Spixteen from my smokin' Panzer.   You and I have had go arounds in the past, more from miscommunication than anything.   But to cuss, is beyond comprehension for me.   

<<S>> Zeta, to more of our ball busting in the future.  :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 05:05:21 PM »
it's not only uncool because of the kids.....but it diminishes the game itself.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.. I'll take it a step further.  The way I present myself online reflects not only on me but my friends and my squad mates.  I try hard not to embarrass the people I associate with because I value their friendship more than I can say. 

I'm profane, I tend to be a clown, I like to laugh, and I like to make people laugh.  But, to me, there is no reason to expose kids, wives, family, or friends of people I don't and probably will never know to my bawdiest humor or a tirade when things aren't going well for me.  There are places online where you can 'let your hair down' so to speak but AH isn't the place.  When I hear somebody spouting expletives online here I put them in my 'you're not worth my time' file until I see and / or hear a difference in their behavior. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline maus92

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »
I have no problem with people reporting inappropriately abusive language, but I suggest that you first let the person know that he/she has stepped over the line - I'd bet a reasonable person will apologize.  Sometimes we slip up, and we we know we made a mistake.  Others may live in an atmosphere where "relaxed" language is commonplace and accepted.  I'd hate to have someone banned unnecessarily.  However, for those who refuse to get it, a visit to the principle's office is warranted.  

Since I've been back, only once has somebody b.t.hed at me - for a collision.  He PM'ed me with some poo, but I replied from my perspective, I flew over him and he pulled up into me.  He shut up.  Curious that it was one of the very few times where my opponent died as a result of a collision and I got the kill - go figure.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:13:22 PM by maus92 »
Callsign: nag

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
I'm not going to get involved in someone's rant, a few minutes or hours on mute is a pretty effective way of letting them know they crossed the line.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2010, 07:04:47 PM »
Oh goody, another soccer mom post.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »

:rofl  You know some of these little rug rats cuss more than a drunken sailor when their mommy ain't around.....

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Frankly I find it difficult to understand why anyone would purposley hit the transmit button to swear.  I cuss most times I get shot down but I don't have any desire, much less an uncontrollable urge, to transmit it to everyone in the arena.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:47 PM »
I have no problem with people reporting inappropriately abusive language, but I suggest that you first let the person know that he/she has stepped over the line - I'd bet a reasonable person will apologize.  

I would agree with this for the most part......... unless it is a habitual offender that everyone knows.... who continously keeps on with the verbage

Yes, the community of online players should step up and inform the unknowing that they have crossed the line....... but then sometimes, this might just cause a riot to break out by the "one profanity filled porkbelly" and maybe their flock of anklehumping lemmings.... then chaos begins all across the arena on both country channel and public cross country channel 200

so sometimes it is just best to do the .report vox or .report text function as well as get it on film if possible.... or perhaps open he text buffer larger and start taking screenshots of what comes back at you if you are asking them to watch their language.....

is a fine line on which way to go about it...... but calling them on it on local vox range and having other Peers follow up helping you, then yes hopefully most will offer up an apology and see the error of their ways.....

:cheers:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
To what age limit do you call kid?
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »

Elaborate if you will.  Are you in favor of having no rules or codes of conduct regarding the use of profanity on vox or in the text buffer?

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
is a fine line on which way to go about it...... but calling them on it on local vox range and having other Peers follow up helping you, then yes hopefully most will offer up an apology and see the error of their ways.....

With all due respect TC, the line is not fine at all.  Parents know the language adults use in this game, at school, and on the play ground.  To subject their kids to unfiltered language is their choice and their responsibility to handle.  I simply suggest HTC give them an easy tool to help them along.  Perma squelch.  Then parents could use their "years" of experience to shelter their kid as the see fit with a simple copy and paste of their perma squelch list into the kids account.

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 09:57:50 PM »
This is the exact reason why I do not allow my 13 year old son to play the game....   
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »
Honestly I don't appreciate profanity no matter who is involved.  I understand accidentally saying something if you get shot down, but using it to cuss someone out or in casual conversation is completely unacceptable.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 10:45:16 PM »
With all due respect TC, the line is not fine at all.  Parents know the language adults use in this game, at school, and on the play ground.  To subject their kids to unfiltered language is their choice and their responsibility to handle.  I simply suggest HTC give them an easy tool to help them along.  Perma squelch.  Then parents could use their "years" of experience to shelter their kid as the see fit with a simple copy and paste of their perma squelch list into the kids account.

In all 'fairness' most parents these days are completely disinterested in what their children are doing so long as it doesn't scratch the beemer or make a 'mess'.  And yes a lot of the younger players are potty mouthed little generals. Does that mean it's okay to spew profanity at them or, for that matter, anybody? Frankly I think this community as a whole is better than that.  If you feel like it's your God given right to tell someone to 'insert expletive here' that's on you.  Frankly I'll just look at you and think you're an idiot that needs to go on permasquelch.