Author Topic: Sound Card settings  (Read 334 times)

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Sound Card settings
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
When this new miles sound system came out in AH, the sounds really sounded horrible.  Even after the latest patches.  I even changed my in game settings to use 5.1 as I have a 5.1 headset that runs off my Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS and it still sounded horrible.  Now what I just found out is in windows, my sound card setting was set to 2/2.1 speaker setting.  I changed it to 5/5.1 setting to match the in game settings.  Now everything sounds great.

My ? is, How comes AH doesn't automatically/overide the window settings like COD or even MSFSX does.  This could also be why everyone else is complaining about sound quality within the game.  They may have it set to use 5.1 in game but in windows it set to 2.1. 

BTW, I have windows XP Pro with the latest audigy 2ZS drivers (2.18.017 dated 4/2010)
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Sound Card settings
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
When this new miles sound system came out in AH, the sounds really sounded horrible.  Even after the latest patches.  I even changed my in game settings to use 5.1 as I have a 5.1 headset that runs off my Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS and it still sounded horrible.  Now what I just found out is in windows, my sound card setting was set to 2/2.1 speaker setting.  I changed it to 5/5.1 setting to match the in game settings.  Now everything sounds great.

My ? is, How comes AH doesn't automatically/overide the window settings like COD or even MSFSX does.  This could also be why everyone else is complaining about sound quality within the game.  They may have it set to use 5.1 in game but in windows it set to 2.1. 

BTW, I have windows XP Pro with the latest audigy 2ZS drivers (2.18.017 dated 4/2010)

Usually the creative sound console has an option to synchronize your speaker settings with the Windows speaker settings.  Open up the console for your Audigy and the option should be under the speaker configuration settings.  It helps prevent the Windows speaker settings being set differently than what you set for your Audigy.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »
It is set like that by default.  Regardless of what u may have set in windows, the game should overide the window settings.  COD and MS Flight simulator X do this along with Farcry and all the Silent hunter series.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
It is set like that by default.  Regardless of what u may have set in windows, the game should overide the window settings.  COD and MS Flight simulator X do this along with Farcry and all the Silent hunter series.

The Audigy might be set that way by default but unless you have that option checked to sync the speaker settings in the Audigy sound console with the Windows speaker, if you change the speaker settings in Windows it won't change it in the Audigy sound console as well.  For example, you have your Audigy set up for 2.1 sound and want to change it to 5.1 sound, if that option isn't checked, it's only going to change the speaker configuration within the console and not adjust the Windows setting.  If you check the option it will set the speaker settings for both the Audigy and Windows.

Also, just checked and CoD: MW2 or FarCry 2 didn't over ride my speaker configuration in the sense that it changed the settings in Windows.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song