Author Topic: The Way the Game Was??  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
The Way the Game Was??
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:30:13 PM »
I am fairly new to this game compared to some...1.9 years in this game so I will never be able to say "how it was" or "how it used to be" but after reading a lot of the senior folks posts, I must admit I like what I have read.  If you've been playing for 6 years or more, please list the most FAVORITE thing about how it used to be in-game.  No rules...your comment can be the friendships and how they changed, the tactics, the maps, the respect for a 1 v 1 that is going on below you but players stayed out until it reached its own conclusion, the squeekers, etc. etc.  I would like a glimpse of what I missed...

V/r

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: The Way the Game Was??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:34:42 PM »
It hasn't really changed in the 6 years or so I have been here.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »
I would like a glimpse of what I missed...
In essence, Nothing.  It is the same as it has always been except that the names have been changed to protect the guilty  :old:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 02:35:40 PM »
Maybe 8 years then....in the forums, there seems to be a time baseline of 6 - 8 years....

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
In essence, Nothing.  It is the same as it has always been except that the names have been changed to protect the guilty  :old:

If there is nothing...then why the hell does everyone talk about the changes?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »
Nothing has changed.  Lots of good people, still having fun.

The only time the game has ever changed for me, is when I start taking it too seriously.  Then somehow I can find things that are 'different'.

In the end it means I've changed at that point.  A couple of good augers and I'm right back on track :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
1 quote:

Nickel Member

Reg: Sep 2002

Is this what you wanted HTC?
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:26:53 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This game has become a shell of what it used to be. I have been flying this game since 2000, less and less often as time goes buy. It doesn't suprise me why those that leave do. What Happened? It has devolved into just one mass of planes flying into another. There are no tactics, strategy, no reason other than fly into one area of the map and hope you can get a kill or two before being raped.
You made the bases harder to capture and the planes easier to fly. There is no emmersion anymore. I feel like everytime I takeoff, I should put a quarter in my computer. Its gone from a combat flight sim and real time strategy to an arcade game.
I remember when I couldn't wait to get home and fly. I even went to a couple of cons to meet those who i flew against or with. Now it's just a facebook account to keep in touch with some of the older fliers. Even their numbers are starting to dwindle.
For now I continue to play, but not with the same enthusiasm as I had in the past. Not nearly the entusiasm as I had in the past.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
2nd quote: (Fugitive)

For anyone who hasn't been playing this game for at least 7 years you just wouldn't understand.

I know, ya'll say I look at this game through a fogged memory, but it has changed a lot since the old days. Back then you could have an uneven numbered situation like 5 on 2, and 2 or 3 of the 5 would just circle and watch the fight and only join in if one of his teammates got shot down.

"Bingo" meant I'm out and the enemy gave you a salute and told you head see ya when you can back, instead of chasing you down with 12 of his closest friends just so one of you could have the kill.

You would spend hours fighting the same 10 guys over and over a gain and nobody would be PMing or swearing over 200. Even the good natured "ribbing" was done with a bunch of laughs.

The only frustration in the game was when you had to make a run to the bathroom because you just couldn't hold it any longer.

It is much harder to find a good fight these days and I really enjoy those that I find. My frustration level climbs quickly when those few fights are destroyed by some Ahole that just NEEDS the kill and has to pick, or HO. It seems to me that some of that has come back with the changes HTC has made. Is it better, yes, is it like it use to be, not even close, but I'll take what I can get and hope things continue to improve. Until then my wife likes having me hang around with her more than I fly.  

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »
OK one thing that changed, but it goes back to Airwarrior.  As soon as winning the war became an option, the game changed.  Air combat was no longer a mandatory part of the game as folks could find a way around it to feel "success".

Worst thing that could have happened in an air combat game.

That being said, I still have fun.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »
OK one thing that changed, but it goes back to Airwarrior.  As soon as winning the war became an option, the game changed.  Air combat was no longer a mandatory part of the game as folks could find a way around it to feel "success".

Worst thing that could have happened in an air combat game.

That being said, I still have fun.

<S> Sir and thanks...

Changeup

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 02:48:11 PM »
Whats changed, hmmms.. well mostly just eye candy,and the recent Fm updates with the new damage systems.

New planes, new gv's "more" new ground land detail "redid a few times now" shaders/shadows.

That's about it.

The big thing tho, is aces high no longer looks like a cartoon.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
The community is larger, the gene pool a bit more diluted, but overall not much has changed.

The things we complained and argued over 8+ years ago are the same things we complain and argue about now.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »
The whines are the same, the only thing that has changed are the years.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
The terrain and planes looked good then. The "improvements" are taxing my system.

Less whiners back then.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:24:58 PM by Blooz »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »
The price, in real terms, has decreased.  :aok
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers