Author Topic: It has finally set in....  (Read 3523 times)

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
It has finally set in....
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:23:44 AM »
I guess ive finally just given up and realized that the reasons I have enjoyed playing the game are a thing of the past for the most part.  What happened to flying for fun?  Or for the challenge not just for the kill or to see your name in lights.  Before you all go flame crazy I know a lot of you will say you have fun and thats fine, im glad you still do.  Ive been reading a lot of the threads with posts from guys that have been playing as long as I have and we all, seems to be a small minority anymore, agree the game play itself just isnt what it use to be.  The game has changed, the overall attitude of players has changed.  I do remember back 10 years ago when i first started playing and players cared more about the fight itself and outflying their enemy not just spraying their cannons in a HOE and crossing their fingers.  Ive played MW mostly for the last few years and up until 8 months ago or so it was a lot of fun.  Granted i had taken about a year off from playing and was just excited to play again.  Im now realizing that the style of play has been the same since i got back into it its just taken this long to really get on my nerves.  I was playing tonight for example in MW.  5 bish, 3 nits.  Our carrier was right off shore the nit base when i logged on and a somewhat decent fight was going on.  I flew in, had a few good fights.  After a few sorties a nit that had been shot down a few times, who also happens to have a low score, decides to get into the SB and fire at the carrier.  I asked him why is he trying to kill the carrier we are having a fun fight.  No answer so we moved the carrier out of range.  He the upped bombers from 2 sectors away and left his 2 other countrymates in a 5v2 while he flew over and sank the carrier.  I know its his 15 bucks and he can do what he wants and thats fine i guess but it killed our fun.  Most guys logged off after that cause the bases are to far apart to really have fun fighting and the carrier right off shore was the perfect platform for both sides to have easy access and fairly short flight to fight.
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: It has finally set in....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:00:15 AM »
You need to play in some scenarios.  (From my perspective having started playing multiplayer WWII air-combat sims in 1988, all you 10-year guys are newbs ;) ).

Come join us Saturday.  If you show up at or before 3 pm Eastern Time in Special Events II Arena, you will get a plane to fly.

Get a taste for a whole other side to things.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:39:59 AM »
99.999% of the people here..including me..would jump..or tell someone to jump..into the SB and sink the carrier...immediately.  if that's not understood here...yeah..the game must have changed.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 05:43:45 AM »
Grumpy, I hear what you are saying and I understand - and while things are of necessity different than they were a decade ago, a part of what you are feeling is simply "fatigue".   Take a break, a long break if need be.  Come back when the circle turns again, even if it's another year or two. 

Did you by any chance participate in BaldEagl's dueling?  That's a lot of fun and emphasizes the fight.

Lastly, and not to criticize, but how much were you guys working at making sure everyone enjoyed, and got a sense of "belonging" in the fight that you describe?  With only 8 players on 10 years ago, the 5 or 6 old timers would have been extra careful that the newer player didn't feel overwhelmed. 

He or she may well have "competed" the only way they could do so effectively, which was by taking out the carrier.

Just thoughts, take them for what they cost you.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:23:41 AM »
I was playing tonight for example in MW.  5 bish, 3 nits.  Our carrier was right off shore the nit base when i logged on and a somewhat decent fight was going on.   He the upped bombers from 2 sectors away and left his 2 other countrymates in a 5v2 while he flew over and sank the carrier. 

You outnumbered the enemy almost 2 to 1 and let a guy come two sectors unopposed to sink your carrier?

Hope you got plenty of easy kills before you came here to complain about it.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:27:19 AM »
You outnumbered the enemy almost 2 to 1 and let a guy come two sectors unopposed to sink your carrier?

:rofl   :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »
If you've been around as long as I have, and paid attention, you will see that people go through distinct "phases" in their AH career. Those may change somewhat for the individual, and the timing may be different. But looking at someone from the outside its fairly easy to see.

As you mature, learn ACM, grow in skill, how you play the game changes.

The faster you learn and adapt the faster those changes happen.
I've seen truly gifted top sticks go from newb to burned out vet in under 2 years.

Squad involvement, active involvement in AvA, or FSO, or Scenarios can add luster back to what has otherwise faded and lost its attraction.

If you have truly lost the "itch" then its time for a break. When you come back, I'd suggest trying all the new things you can think of. Or setting yourself goals, like how many kills you can get in 1 tour in a Spit 1, etc.

Some people seem to get locked into one part of AH and never really get good at some of the other parts.
Be it furballs, or base attack, or GVing, or whatever. So take a break, stay away until the "itch" comes back.

And when you do come back, make sure you've tried it all. 

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »
99.999% of the people here..including me..would jump..or tell someone to jump..into the SB and sink the carrier...immediately.  if that's not understood here...yeah..the game must have changed.

I think that's his main point.

- oldman

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »

case and point.  That's the typical attitude of alot of the player base now.

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:26 AM »
Grumpy, I hear what you are saying and I understand - and while things are of necessity different than they were a decade ago, a part of what you are feeling is simply "fatigue".   Take a break, a long break if need be.  Come back when the circle turns again, even if it's another year or two. 

Did you by any chance participate in BaldEagl's dueling?  That's a lot of fun and emphasizes the fight.

Lastly, and not to criticize, but how much were you guys working at making sure everyone enjoyed, and got a sense of "belonging" in the fight that you describe?  With only 8 players on 10 years ago, the 5 or 6 old timers would have been extra careful that the newer player didn't feel overwhelmed. 

He or she may well have "competed" the only way they could do so effectively, which was by taking out the carrier.

Just thoughts, take them for what they cost you.

<S>

We were trying to keep it 1v1 from our side.  We didnt gang up 2v1 or 3v1.  It was just the one player that felt the need to sink the carrier and end the fun

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »
I think that's his main point.

- oldman

case and point.  That's the typical attitude of alot of the player base now.

Exactly, you both understood the post.   :aok

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »
You need to play in some scenarios.  (From my perspective having started playing multiplayer WWII air-combat sims in 1988, all you 10-year guys are newbs ;) ).

Come join us Saturday.  If you show up at or before 3 pm Eastern Time in Special Events II Arena, you will get a plane to fly.

Get a taste for a whole other side to things.

I will try that if my time permits.  Its hard for me to schedual time to play, its usually at night after kids are asleep and need to unwind but i appreciate the offer!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 08:41:38 AM »
Some people log on and see a carrier off their base and immediately try to sink it - many times without taking a minute to see if the town's been hit, or if there has been any shore bombardment at all.  Then there are those who die a lot when they try to join in the fun of a purely air to air battle, so decide to kill everyone else's fun.

I can relate to Grumpy's frustration and lack of enthusiasm, as I had hit the wall a while ago.  But, I found some new guys, flew against them, flew with them, and recruited them into my squad.  Seeing the game through their new eyes rekindled the enthusiasm and excitement I felt when I was a new guy.

This game is what you make of it.  If it gets boring or frustrating, you must ask yourself why.  Then you must ask yourself what can you do to change your state of mind.  It could be as easy as changing arenas or picking a new plane to get good in.  It could be to just fly around looking for a fight while talking to others in the arena, helping new guys with questions, practicing something you wanted to get better at, or just taking a leave of absence for a while.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:56:53 AM »
Maybe I need to join a squad again.  Ive tried the new arena, different planes.  That was fun and different for a short time but in reality it was still the same "game". 

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:12 AM »

Blooz summed it up nicely...

From my perspective your comment shows just how much the game has changed and how your attitude contributes to it.

Basically your capping an enemy field with your carrier ack and have a 2-1+ advantage so all is good? Reads as we had a good thing going and were to buzy semi vulching the uppers to protect our carrier. Some guy in a set of buffs saw what was going on and upped to take out the CV capping the field. I didn't want to give up my chance for some easy kills and the other guys wouldn't do there job of clearing my 6 and/or protecting the carrier so the guy sunk the CV and now I may actually have to earn my kills so I'm pissed the other guys let this buff driver piss in my cheerios...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson