Author Topic: Disturbing trend  (Read 3571 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Disturbing trend
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »
THE Funny thing is, that in corsairs, the only pile-it i kill is me. same in the 109's and 190's. the spits seem easy to me, hurricanes easier than the spits, and the zeeks easier than both.
 the f6f feels the easiest of the american planes to me, although the rear view sucks. p39 the only thing i have success against is gv's, p40 i absolutley suck in, p51 i can't hit anything 'cept the dirt.....p38 i love, but i don't have the same success as the rest of the sapp'rs yet........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »
I remember they had a flaw in the FM of ALL planes where you could hardly do a mild flat turn in ANYTHING without the wings stalling.  That was back when the game was just out of beta, maybe 2000.  The statement about "making all the planes fly like spits" is pure hyperbole. Also, I've run into a heck of a LOT of people that have played this game just superbly, you needn't flatter yourself as it is nothing to mount on the wall.

I agree on the hyperbole.  I was trying to make a point.  Your point is that you have something personal with me.  That is fine, but not related to the subject.  If you can;t tell the difference or don;t remember a change, that is not my fault.  I do remember that there was no way in hell I could dog fight in an F4U or 109 until a patch.  I guess I learned over night  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2010, 10:21:21 AM »
I agree on the hyperbole.  I was trying to make a point.  Your point is that you have something personal with me.  That is fine, but not related to the subject.  If you can;t tell the difference or don;t remember a change, that is not my fault.  I do remember that there was no way in hell I could dog fight in an F4U or 109 until a patch.  I guess I learned over night  :lol

Nah, just more idiots in the game decreasing your chance for a decent fight.  :joystick:
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2010, 10:23:20 AM »
Nothing personal at all, I enjoyed our fights in MidWar this past year.  I do admit I sometimes have troubling understanding the point you sometimes try to make in your posts.  As in the intent of what you are saying.

We will keep at it :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Ok I'll throw my two sense in this...

There are two types of football players. Those that want to run up the middle, and those that want to play-action pass. Those that want to run up the middle pride themselves on physical ability, Blocking technique, and running ability. Those that want ot Play-action pass (fake the run up the middle and throw a pass to a wide open reciever) pride themselves on being smarter.

The MA is the same way. There are those that pride themselves on their ability to come across another pilot regarless of the plane matchups, E disparities, and number disparities and come out victorious...demonstrate thier skills as [cartoon] pilots.  There are those who want to pull off ever deeper and daring raids into enemy territory without being discovered...prove how smart they are.

The skill people are easy to satisfy. I think the issue is with the latter. The radar settings force everything to be a full frontal confrontation. But this doesn't eliminate strategy in the game, it transforms it from figuring out how to 'fake out' the other side, to organizing the proper resources and executing a well thought out plan to accomplish an objective. Which should be a great thing to do in a war sim.

The "fake out" guys are getting pissed because they can't do "fake out" base taking anymore, because with radar covering the whole map, bandits are drawn to you like moths to a flame.

Would changing the radar back really fix the problem? I say that's a matter of perception. The reason you could sneak a mission in the past is not because your plan is clever enough to have faked anyone out, it's because no one cares. It's not worth the time investment to fly around looking for a few planes that might be trying to capture a meaningless base. So the percieved cleverness of your part is nothing more than the result of it not being worth the enemies time to look for you.

It seems the choice has been made by the game developers to promote action per unit time for paying customers. Not hard to figure out why they made that choice.

Perhaps you can change your definition of being stategic, from faking the enemy out, to planning a raid that can capture a base with a handfull of very organized friends or squadies, knowing that the enemy will see you coming.  Just a suggestion  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »
I have been taking a break for about 3 weeks now.  So I can't tell you about anything I haven't observed where I wasn't flying.

But there is one thing that is clear because I have been reading these boards.

There are really only about 20 or 30 guys posting here.  Most of them have been at it a long time and have developed a very high opinion of themselves and think their opinion has of course more weight than any else.  If all anyone did is read this board before they decided if they wanted to play Aces High, I doubt they would.

See you boys soon <S>
Wag more, bark less.

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2010, 11:30:51 AM »
I do remember that there was no way in hell I could dog fight in an F4U or 109 until a patch.  I guess I learned over night  :lol

Well the question is, do you think the way they handle now is incorrect?  Just curious because it isn't wrong.  Improving the fidelity of the flight models does not equal making the game more arcade.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2010, 12:24:56 PM »
I'm just glad they improved SAPP-mode on the 38s.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
they didn't for me.......i had my blender running full tilt, and still flew into a mountain.

i was told that that would let me fly through them dammit!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »
Well the question is, do you think the way they handle now is incorrect?  Just curious because it isn't wrong.  Improving the fidelity of the flight models does not equal making the game more arcade.

I have no clue if it is right or wrong.  I never flew these plains in real life.  The reality is that no one can claim that the models are right or wrong (ok, maybe 99% of the people).  Sure the numbers used may be accurate but the actual modeling (code) it self, how would I know?  So now the question is, how do you know?  Ho can you tell if the always - as we are told by the experts here - perfect models are correct or if they have been improved?  The only thing I can tell is that they change every so often and some things went from hard to easier.  Does that make them more accurate? 

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »
The only frame of reference any of us has is how the cartoon planes fly.  I'd wager there isn't anybody in here who's flown a single-seat WWII aircraft in combat configuration into combat to be able to give us a definitive 'It handles right'.

So much of how people use the planes in here is based on emergent behavior.  Each plane is just a set of numbers with a wireframe over it, right?  So with this much HP, this propeller, these wings, this much drag, at this weight (in horribly simplistic terms) you get a Ki-84, or a F4U-1D, or whatever.  The program then takes care of the rest as far as how it flies and what happens at different speeds and AoA, etc.

I think it would be fascinating (and I bet they did something similar in the early days) to see something modeled like a Cessna 172 or something along those lines.  Something that everybody and their dog has flown, and knows how it handles.  Just to see how close to reality the game engine gets it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
Has anyone noticed people leaving the game at a fairly good rate?

I have seen members of squads leave the game after many years of play, most of them say the same thing...."The game has become to arcade".

Last night i logged on to the orange arena,giant furball. Blue arena same thing, with the added caveat of a lovely field of overlapping dar on both arenas, the pizza map is ridiculous with the new settings.  I looked for a few squaddies, and only 3 where on. I cant tell you the last time i saw that few in the game!!!!
My wife is up doing assignments, its like 4:46am so I decided to log in and have a quick fight.  Couldn't get into the first arena so I loaded the second one n the pizza map came up, hurt my eyeballs so bad I alt+f4'ed it ;) Not lying either. 

The maps are ugly, big, cluttered and most importantly strategically pointless.  The only time I saw a reset recently was when our country decided to let the bish's win so we could get a new map (which turned out to be an even more pointless 500 island thing that'll get reset next week on TT by HTC)

AH is a good game, has loads of good points, by far the best flight sim around but the maps and the strat are sucking.  Luckily the good points outweigh the bad.

Offline Twizzty

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »
I think it would be fascinating (and I bet they did something similar in the early days) to see something modeled like a Cessna 172 or something along those lines.  Something that everybody and their dog has flown, and knows how it handles.  Just to see how close to reality the game engine gets it.

Wiley.

We do have the RV8 in-game...  :noid

Meteor Interception of Luftwannabe Forces.
Current status of M.I.L.F: On standby - awaiting aircraft.
The Few

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »

Wiley.

why do you think the rv8 is modeled in the game? it's hitech's real world plane.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2010, 03:06:24 PM »
Cool.  Never realized what the RV8 was, had heard it mentioned in passing but never bothered finding out.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11