Author Topic: Battlefield Europe, No advancement, couple of changes  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Battlefield Europe, No advancement, couple of changes
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 11:46:49 AM »
Great stuff thanks for posting it!

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »
Count me in also.  I'm a Pima Air Museum addict.  Sounds like an opportunity for a mini-con.  I think there are a couple other folks in Tucson and Sierra Vista.

A factory new Hurri.

Impressive score card of this Hurri pilot's handy work.

..and of course the goon.

..an old friend from back in the day.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »
What kind of stick did you get Sparrow? My Saitek X52 Pro took a dump and a couple of weeks ago I made the switch to a CH stick and throttle.
I'm struggling to get used to them. I like the smoothness but after years of the all the buttons being in the same place I'm struggling with the positions of them on the CH stick and throttle. Not to mention my flying has been cut drastically. I work outdoors and the Texas 100+ degree heat has me worn out I barely make squadnight and FSOs.

Hi Shifty, nice to hear from you! Hope it's getting cooler, 100+ is a real pain... for who's working outdoor... huge effort, very violent, slow down and drink gallons of water!

I got myself a Thrustmaster T.Flight stick X, the cheap Guillemot made "twisty" Thrustmaster. I am a Thrustmaster client for ages, just canīt afford the high end HOTAS models anymore... And I've used a couple of NGS Thrustmaster clones in the last couple of years, but they just don't cope. My last one was a NGS that lasted 5 months. It succeeded a better NGS stick that worked well for a year... They are inexpensive but they don't last much, the components are really weak... They are modelled around the Guillemot-made Thrustmaster model, it's a good stick.

My first setup was a Thrustmaster HOTAS PFCS stick with TQS throttle quadrant and RCS rudder pedals. All metal, Made in US. It was PCI and the hat swich only had 4 views, lol. Still have them. The rudder pedals I gave to a friend. I broke the hat swich when I was flying Warbirds, lol. Glued it and carried on until all pots where completely worn out, lol. Then, I had to get a new PC, and a new stick, etc, etc...

You have a very good setup. CH products have a good rating worldwide. Probably the best in the market, at the same level of Thrustmaster best HOTAS setup. About Saitek I only once used one, from a friend of mine. To be honest, found it strange, not feeling confortable to grab, with buttons at the most awkward places... But, as I said, I had 45 minute experience with it, not enough to have a good opinion.

Hope to see you soon mate, but our schedules are not compatible. You're arriving when I'm leaving, I curse time differences...

Cheers,

Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 07:52:37 PM »
Count me in also.  I'm a Pima Air Museum addict.  Sounds like an opportunity for a mini-con.  I think there are a couple other folks in Tucson and Sierra Vista.

That could be easily worked into the schedule Puma of Pima County. :D I was stationed at DM AFB from 1983-1992. While I was there the Pima Air Museum had an F6F Hellcat that was a total mess. I wonder if they ever got it restored? Nice pics as well Puma. :aok

Sparow, I love the setup. I just need to adjust to the buttons that will come in time. My flying time has been so sparce lately hopefully it will pick up in the next month.

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 12:47:28 AM »
Shifty, you had a good long stretch at DM. Are you retired now?  The last time I was at the museum, I didn't notice a Hellcat.  Hopefully, they are still restoring it.  That would be a great addition to the collections.  Glad you enjoyed the photos.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 01:19:34 AM »
Shifty, you had a good long stretch at DM. Are you retired now?  The last time I was at the museum, I didn't notice a Hellcat.  Hopefully, they are still restoring it.  That would be a great addition to the collections.  Glad you enjoyed the photos.  :salute

I remember that Hellcat from decades ago. It was much in the shape of that FM2. It's not on display.
Not sure what became of it.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 04:35:26 AM »
Jimson,

I have noticed lower numbers in general in the AvA for the last month or so.  I do agree with those points about what makes the population grow or not, but I haven't got off my own arse to do the kind of publicity that would at least get the AvA newB  :noid population going.  I have been able to convince a couple or so of my MA squadees to take in some fresh clean AvA air.  They absolutely enjoyed it.

Shifty,

I hope to see you and the JR's back in the hunt soon.  Does your CH equipment give you less buttons, or are they just located differently?  If there are less buttons, I stumbled across this thread and thought this converted keyboard was awesome and have been scrounging around for the stuff to set my desk up better.

Here is where he got instructions and/ or the idea from:  (warning the images on this site might lead to wife ack)
http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims.html

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
Same amount of buttons Chilli. However they are positioned differently. Where the Saitek had both 8 position hat switches on the stick. The CH products have one on the stick and the other on the throttle. There are two other buttons where my second hat switch used to be located. It causes me a lot of confusion after 8 years or so of using the same finger moves to achieve the views I need.

Offline doomed

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 06:47:57 PM »
We been playing in ava more lately becouse chili is a good guy and this new rolling map is a great idea but with the 0 icons i dont care for it. I like limited range icons like the fso but the 0 icon isnt fun.
Dont get me wronge in a perfect world with 2010 graphics and tons of money invested in redesigning the modeling so you can pick up a con on the deck it just seems like every single fight is a greenish colored con on the deck fighting a greenish colore con on the deck and you or at least I with only a 24inch monitor and nvidea gtx 250 card have a very very hard time finding the bad guys.

In a perfect world where the aircraft reallly stand out against a tree its great but here i think there needs to be at least a 500 or 800 range icon. Ive had many many fights(ask chili) that i was winning when the olive pony dove to the trees and basicly became invisible. Maybe im the only one that thinks air battle took place above 60 ft so forgive me if im wronge just my .02 cent.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »
I like limited range icons like the fso but the 0 icon isnt fun.

Spend about four hours flying with no icons.  Seems to be the approximate amount of time investment to get used to it.

After that, you won't want to go back, no matter what your computer system.

- oldman

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena