Author Topic: Johnny Johnson, maths and the 1989 Society of Test Pilot report; revisited.  (Read 22884 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: Johnny Johnson, maths and the 1989 Society of Test Pilot report; revisited.
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »
  -Let me put it this way: If Hitech claims he doesn't remember a thread titled "FW-190 veteran experience" or "FW-190 combat veteran experience", in or around 2005, that had a FW-190A Western Front Ace making statements through a relative (describing how he downthrottled and shot down a P-51D on his tail in two 360° turns on the deck), then he is a bald-face liar...

"I feared no other aircraft in my FW-190A-8". Remember that Hitech?

Since he remembers it, he probably remembers deleting it too, while we are at it...

I find his prudent silence on this issue very interesting...

Gaston

Gaston is thus revealed as nothing more than a ****ing ticking timebomb bi-polar nerd with more accounts than a social life would permit, just waiting for the proper situation to explode. Everyone is missing "your point" because you can't form one properly. Listen, ok? Brush your hair off your entended forehead, whipe that sweat off your unibrow, and look
in the mirror. You're a mongoloid.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
Be nice guys. Gaston can't remember the thread either  :D  and Gaston's special needs won't be met by insults.  :old:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »

I would love to understand your motivation. Why have you particularly chosen to champion the Fw 190?

It's not about the Focke Wulf or any other plane.  Gaston's only intent is to show how his game is the one that is accurately modeled while Aces High, IL 2 or any other flight sim is not modeled correctly and inherently flawed because these games take physics into account in the flight models.  If you've seen Gaston's pen and paper game (he posted the link in the Ubi thread) you can see why his game isn't flying off the shelves.

Basically, he's a failed game designer that made a terrible game and is trying to show how in fact he's a great game designer/developer and he made a great game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »
It's not about the Focke Wulf or any other plane.  Gaston's only intent is to show how his game is the one that is accurately modeled while Aces High, IL 2 or any other flight sim is not modeled correctly and inherently flawed because these games take physics into account in the flight models.  If you've seen Gaston's pen and paper game (he posted the link in the Ubi thread) you can see why his game isn't flying off the shelves.

Basically, he's a failed game designer that made a terrible game and is trying to show how in fact he's a great game designer/developer and he made a great game.

ack-ack

got links for his game?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
Another one of Gaston's gems (this one posted on the Ubi forums).

Posted Mon August 30 2010 23:41  Hide Post
"Autorotation" is exactly as the text was in the magazine: It is still on newstands now marked "display until November 1st"...

It is not a translation by me, but the pilot did likely speak in Japanese...

I have heard Robert Jonhson speak of autorotation for the P-47D, which is a similar-looking aircraft... I took it to mean the nose yaws opposite from the bank side as you implement the bank, as opposed to if it was the banking to the same side, which would then be a good thing: It clearly was meant as an abnormality, and may have no relation to the Japanese N1K1 issue anyway...

This to me explains why R. Johnson sometimes banked opposite his target's bank, especially to the right if the target banked left: A right bank might have turned him towards the left-going aircraft as he rolled 270° (but maybe he just wanted to avoid the "mushing" delay of a reversal, as he described himself, by carrying on a full roll circle in case the enemy reversed)...

I am also pretty sure that the P-47D, in its Razorback version at least, banked a bit slower to left and turned slightly slower to right... At least I thought it serious enough in several accounts to incorporate this in my simulation... The P-47D is one of the hardest WWII fighters out there to pin down on the "character" issue, and I don't claim to have everything right in my game...

another gem.

Another example of why any simulation designer should drop math "predictiveness", except for very narrow areas, if the "big" picture is to be even remotely relevant:

I know of one Ki-61-Ib pilot account describing how this supposedly slow-climber could out-zoom anything the US had until the P-38 was encountered, to the Ki-61's pilot's great shock... He described he could out-zoom the F6F easily and, in his words, "even the F4U was inferior to my Ki-61 in zoom, but with the P-38 I found myself in a predicament I had never faced before, as it stayed behind me even in the steepest climb as I tried to escape..."

ack-ack
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:36:48 PM by Ack-Ack »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »
got links for his game?

The link was posted in either this thread or in the last Gaston thread, it's basically a pen and paper board game.  For some added laughs, you should do a search for Gaston's "Rapier and Saber" flight model theory on these boards (think he posted it about a year ago).

ack-ack

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »
Guys - I didn't realize that the Gaston virus had infected other threads than WWIIaircraft.  what a piece of work!
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Guys - I didn't realize that the Gaston virus had infected other threads than WWIIaircraft.  what a piece of work!

Your Bert Marshall connection the one I'm thinking of drgondog?  It explains the ID anyway :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
Your Bert Marshall connection the one I'm thinking of drgondog?  It explains the ID anyway :)

Bert Wilder Marshall, Jr is my father..
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member

He is at The Great Planes board now.http://warbirdsforum.com/index.php

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member

:salute
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member

Dragons and Bulldogs.  Had to be :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
Dragons and Bulldogs.  Had to be :)

Good guess.  I got that nickname some 45 years ago in Cherry Point, NC

The book title, however, was a play on the squadron nicknames "Angels=358FS, Bulldogs =354FS and Dragons=357FS".  I am just now finishing Volume I of a II volume set on the 355th from its inception through last year.

The 358FS in their infinite wisdom changed from Angels to Lobos in Vietnam era but the 354 and 357FS have kept their WWII squadron names and they have remained intact through Korea and Vietnam and Iraqi Freedom and Afghanistan. 

Have been flying 'Hogs for last 30 years and under constant deployment cycles a squadron at a time.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
He is at The Great Planes board now.http://warbirdsforum.com/index.php

:lol Thanks for the link  :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$