Author Topic: How to stop hordes?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
How to stop hordes?
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »
Sometime over the Labor Day weekend (I can’t remember which day), I was on a side that was receiving horde after horde.  In this case, I am referring to 25+ planes as a ‘horde.’  Over several hours, ten or more fields were lost.  It wasn’t difficult to predict the next base from one or two obvious candidates.  Yet, an effective defense never materialized.

How can such a steam roller be stopped?  This is not a rhetorical question.

A few thoughts on why horde defense is non-existent:

1. Not enough bodies seem to respond to the horde in a timely manner.  This is reasonable, as it is not fun to standby on alert to scramble for a horde.

2. Score conscious folks bail out at the first hint of being overwhelmed.  Last tour, I worked my score as best as I could, but I found it restricting me to making safe decisions.  So I know why this happens. 

3. Too many ‘Alert Axxx’ calls on country.  And, in a personal peeve, too little information, such as type, alt, etc.  No one can respond to every attack.  Defending everything defends nothing.

My opinion on stopping hordes is to counter punch.  That is, hit their ords, troops and hangars along the front.  With a nod to the ‘Fun Police,’ sinking a horde’s cv is a quick way to stop them.  I’ve given up on fighter sweeps, though, a good squad should be able to disrupt the horde conveyor belt that usually develops. 

How to stop a horde?  Is it even possible?
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: How to stop hordes?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »
Porking usually does some good.  If they're REALLY determined, stopping a group of that size is fairly difficult.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
I enjoy killing hordes, what i usually do it get a plane that is fast and has a decent rate of climb (P38 :) )

Takeoff and go NOE till your away from the base get some alt and come back in, most of the time the lemmings will be trying to vultch or kill town meaning a relativity low altitude.

You can BnZ then all day long until they either 1) run away or 2) auger into your town and 3) get eaten up by your bullets.

Just remember, even though you are outnumbered greatly you can still "lure" people into 2v1's and so.

As for the tactics part of alerting a base, I fin that caps lock works well when you feel you need a little help.
Strokes

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »
I try my best to go for the most important aspect of base takes- barracks, and pork them, preferably with some help if I can get it. That is the rug to be pulled out from under the base take, aside from hunting for the LVT's, M3's, and C47's themselves.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »
I'll pull every Pig available into a fighter sweep or GV roll to bring maximum pain to their take attempt.  Mind you, a large determined horde will steamroll even the most seasoned group of pilots.  It's just best to pork ords and troops, and harass the heck out of them until they burn themselves out.  Yes, they will get some bases...
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »
Stop a horde by becoming the horde; take a base while they're trying to swoop yours up...    :cheers:
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »
-AoM-

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
I'll pull every Pig available into a fighter sweep or GV roll to bring maximum pain to their take attempt.  Mind you, a large determined horde will steamroll even the most seasoned group of pilots.  It's just best to pork ords and troops, and harass the heck out of them until they burn themselves out.  Yes, they will get some bases...

I remember defending against a horde at 17 in the blue arena yesterday. Many flacks, planes, and M-3's with pigs on the side of them.  :salute It was a good fight, but little too late, you guys took the base...   :salute    Enjoyed the fight...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:44:31 PM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 02:46:17 PM »
I remember defending against a horde at 17 in the blue arena yesterday. Many flacks, planes, and M-3's with pigs on the side of them.  :salute It was a good fight, but little too late, you guys took the base...   :salute    Enjoyed the fight...

LOL.  Sometimes what we plan actually works.... :x

Offline Little Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 02:46:41 PM »
Sounds like you'll be having some "good eats" until the next season of pigletts come around  :rofl   :devil    :bolt:
Captain of the 125th Spartan Warriors--- SWkiljoy
I just noticed something.....
No wonder Grizz is so good. Living in virtual world must be way more exciting than living in Lincoln Nebraska.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
Sounds like you'll be having some "good eats" until the next season of pigletts come around  :rofl   :devil    :bolt:

I'll never tell! :D

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
Increase the radar range and decrease the NOE height.

Oh, wait....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
But what would we do without a horde? 
 :noid