Author Topic: Views on getting tracker IR  (Read 2197 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: Views on getting tracker IR
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »
Thanks fellers
Some great write ups
Sounds like fun after alot of practice and tweaking
Some good food for thought
Ty
<S> Jimmy
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:10:43 AM by JimmyC »
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 09:37:34 AM »
I have one and love it. Most of the pros and cons have been discussed already so I'll keep my comments to additions and differences...

Looking around the cockpit framing is a huge plus for me. I used to have to move the plane to keep an eye on a bandit when approaching for the merge, and merging. Clearly not an ideal situation and IR tracker lets you do this simply, intuitively, and instantaneous. It can alternatively be done with hat switched set up for head position movement, but they have very slow move rates in game.

I've never had this gunsight problem in planes. I think the key is how you set the gains up around center position. I think my shooting has improved tremendously with IR. One advantage is looking forward and to the side on high deflection shots and watching the tracers relative to a bandit 'below the nose'. In some planes that's a big improvement.  But I find the best thing is the way you just follow the bandit similar to how you would in real life. The smooth continuous tracking helps me develop a better sense of speed and distance relative to my plane that I couldn't get with snap views. That helps me a lot in scissor maneuvers and close quarter crossing shots.

I have found the gunsight issues in Tanks and Whirbles when zoomed way in. Setting up a single toggle to switch back to fixed views corrects that problem as stated previously in the thread.

I highly reccommend it.  :salute

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:39:14 AM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
I'm another happy user, love the thing for all the reasons stated previously.  My only addition is this:

I've heard quite a few people comment on the inability to center themselves for gunnery.  There's the ability to set deadband in the profile just by putting the curve right down to the bottom for a little bit on each side.  This leaves you a spot in the middle where it goes back to neutral.  Mine is pretty small because I've gotten used to it, but that makes it so you don't need to keep turning trackIR on and off and on and off.

I also want to agree that it is easily the most personal setting you can have.  Spending the time tweaking your profile can make the difference between 'Unusable POS' and 'How did I ever play without this thing?' IMO.

However, be prepared to possibly be among those who just can't get used to it.  I've known guys who got motion sick from using it, and some who just plain couldn't get used to it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:58 PM »
I think Dano still has one up for sale in the classified for cheap if anyone's interested in one.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
I've had TrackIR version 5 for around a year and a half
now....but I never tok it out of the box and installed it.

Part of my concern is that I have a marginal system
and I don't want to add to the processor load and
experience stutters and lag spikes.

Has anyone see their performance degrade materially
while running TrackIR?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:36:25 PM by 96Delta »

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »
Love my track IR. The problem you state, I resolved by disabling 4 out of the 6 axis (gunnery). SA went way up, and it freed a gazillion buttons on my stick. 6-view snaps into place (without having to cranck your head etc). Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJDvIDV2WF8 Don't mind the youtube-added tard music ( I am too lazy to change it).

Hope that helps; I can send you my profiles if you are interested.  :aok
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:55:06 PM by papjohns »
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
Do you use it? GOD YES!
What are the pros and cons please  Pros: better visual vs hat button.  Cons: background light that it may picked up that will interfer the tracker
Thinking of getting it
Want some intel
Cheers
<S> Jimmy
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 03:57:31 PM »
hey jimmyc

watch this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjeCnIbWWlU

from 5:30 you see why trackir can decide a match, i pulled into near black (the controlled max) when krupinski and i tried to rope each other
for me, trackir is a must have, i my will have a malfunction i would order a new one on the same day, i can't fly without trackir anymore

:salute

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
It gave me a stiff neck for the first week I had it. Now I would rather quit than fly without it.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »
hey jimmyc

from 5:30 you see why trackir can decide a match, i pulled into near black (the controlled max) when krupinski and i tried to rope each other
for me, trackir is a must have, i my will have a malfunction i would order a new one on the same day, i can't fly without trackir anymore

watched that video, just bought the Track IR 5 Pro and TrackClip Pro Optical Track System today 163.00 free shipping now the waiting begins, ill end up asking for info setting in up ingame..... i cant wait!!!!    :x  :x  :x
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
hey jimmyc

Great Video.  :aok
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
Do you use it?

Oh yes... I don't know how I did without it before

What are the pros and cons please

PROS: Immersion, realism, cool looking antenna thing coming out of my head
CONS: Price (not too bad for what you get, really), takes time to set up, no good with bombers or tanks

Thinking of getting it
Want some intel

If you are financially able then go for it.  V4 is what I have and I love it.  I have no experience with V5 so I can't tell how much better it is, but if money is tight, you can save a good chunk and go for V4.  A few tips:
  • Turn off the rotational axis... this is where you rotate your head (like upside-down) and your surroundings rotate with it.  This makes it very annoying.
  • Set a little bit of deadband for your forward vision.  This will negate the need to turn off head tracking while shooting.
  • Give yourself plenty of time to get used to it.  It can take several weeks for some people.  Personally I had it down after a few days, but I also rarely suffer from any kind of motion sickness, dizziness, etc.
  • Program a button on your joystick for Track I/R CENTER, and program a button for turning Track I/R ON/OFF.  Don't bother with the 'precision' setting.. you won't need it[/color]

Cheers
    <S> Jimmy

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
I use it, I also took some time to tweak it though. Put a dead band in the center of the view except the movement from front to back of the seat.  This will center you up when you take a shot. It will also keep you from having to strain your neck to hold your head still all through the game.  You can also speed the view up or down so that it's quicker or slower in any direction you want. This makes things pretty quick when looking over your shoulder and deciding which way to turn if you're in a fight. if you thumb your views you have to think thumbs and what you're looking at. Depends on your eye hand coordination as well.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 05:52:03 PM »
Have you looked into FreeTrack? You build the track gear, so a small amount of assembling skills is necessary. Cost is low, but results are high. 

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »
Just chiming in to add to the "I wouldn't fly without it" pile.  :)

It's right up there with my first full Thrustmaster setup as "Best simming add-ons I've ever bought." 

I love it in the racing sims I play as well.

Follow the many helpful tips posted previously here and you're almost guaranteed to find it a game-changing experience.