Author Topic: Combat Trim/ Manual Trim question.  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Roadblck

• Zinc Member
Re: Combat Trim/ Manual Trim question.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 04:36:29 PM »
Will do.  It's possible that it's mapped to another device that's connected (I have a few), and I am not aware of it.

Auto Combat Trim was checked on.  Problem solved.  Thanks!

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 03:55:28 PM »
I learned that everytime I start up AH, I have to recall all my rotator buttons, along with my rudder pedals to have the game properly recognize them. I also turned off the combat trim option. Basically I'm just setting autoclimb, then leveling out and playing with the trim buttons to test out where they need to be. This process is challenging, especially on a Jug. I'm looking forward to improving my manual trim and learning how to it the broadside of a barn so I can take the P47M out for a session.  :rock
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »
Okay topguns,

I played around with the settings and finally figured out how to get my set up to respond well. I appreciate all the help  :cheers:

Trimming out a heavy Energy Fighter seems tricky though, got to trim down elevators just enough at high speeds to make for a stable deflection shot. Guess all of that and remembering how to hit the broad side of a barn will come again with practice  :joystick:

S!

Related to the subject of trimming is fuel weights and how they're balanced in your aircraft, in hi-torque single-engine aircraft with wing tanks, pay attention to the torque of your plane and use that to guage which wing tank to drain first with manual fuel tank selection, and to keep balanced lighter than the opposite wing tank.  This is also handy for any hi-altitude long-duration flights too where you don't want heavy wings laden with fuel.  When I fly a plane like the Ta-152 in a scenario high and for a long time, I first drain half the fuel out of my left wing-tank and only a quarter of my right wing.  This help stabalize the plane with minimal aileron trim, as well as lightens some weight in the large wings, which heavy are a burden as you creep up twords 30k.  The auto tank select also drains first from the left tank before the right one, but does it in smaller incriments and keeps them very close to even weight.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:22:19 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »
Related to the subject of trimming is fuel weights and how they're balanced in your aircraft, in hi-torque single-engine aircraft with wing tanks, pay attention to the torque of your plane and use that to guage which wing tank to drain first with manual fuel tank selection, and to keep balanced lighter than the opposite wing tank.  This is also handy for any hi-altitude long-duration flights too where you don't want heavy wings laden with fuel.  When I fly a plane like the Ta-152 in a scenario high and for a long time, I first drain half the fuel out of my left wing-tank and only a quarter of my right wing.  This help stabalize the plane with minimal aileron trim, as well as lightens some weight in the large wings, which heavy are a burden as you creep up twords 30k.  The auto tank select also drains first from the left tank before the right one, but does it in smaller incriments and keeps them very close to even weight.

Hmmm, I'll have to try that. Do all planes have a built in fuel gage to figure this process out? I noticed that a p-47 likes to roll leftwards, and does so quickly if you're not sharp on the trim. The 109F will also rolls to the left, just not as dramatically. So to counter the torque, I should drain more fuel from the wing that tends to roll down, to make it lighter? after you've done something like you described above, do you start draining from your fuselage storage, or just keep switching between wings?
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"