Author Topic: Some of you take this way too seriously!  (Read 1731 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Some of you take this way too seriously!
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:14 PM »
you're right. this is a hobby. just like 3d shooting, or the archery league i used to shoot in. just like drag racing. it's fun. when it ceases to be fun, i log out till i feel like it's gonna be fun again.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »
Sorry. Guilty here.

It's just not in my nature to do anything half azzed.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »
Not saying I do it half azzed.  And I continually stink.. time and effort will pay off eventually. 

When I'm in my little cartoon plane I do the best I can do.  I read, practice, try new rides, mess with my convergence, discuss tactics, and generally do the best I can do.  Time and patience will develop the skills.  But I, again, apply the fun factor to it.  When it ceases to be fun for me it's time to take a break. 

That said, I have a real job, a son, a mortgage, bills, and real life concerns that take a much higher priority than any secondary entertainment can take. 

Example:  Tonight I could have been practicing for my FSO, I could have been in the TA or offline trying to master an unfamiliar platform, I could have been reading aircraft comparison charts.  So what have I been doing? Shooting the bull with my 17 year old son, swapping websites and stories, catching up on the last week, setting our schedule for the coming week, dividing up chores, finding out who he has coming over, seeing what his plans are, discussing the death of his great grandfather, and so on...

Priorities gents because the day will come all too soon where he isn't a daily part of my life.  Part of me will be glad to see him strike out on his own and make his own way in this world.  A larger part of me will miss his company, our conversations, and yes even his counsel when I have serious decisions to make. 

And Filth.. someday sir.. someday.. I'll be able to give you a run for your money... perhaps not today, next week, or next year... but I have a spot on my wall for your scalp all lined up  :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
Example:  Tonight I could have been practicing for my FSO, I could have been in the TA or offline trying to master an unfamiliar platform, I could have been reading aircraft comparison charts.  So what have I been doing? Shooting the bull with my 17 year old son, swapping websites and stories, catching up on the last week, setting our schedule for the coming week, dividing up chores, finding out who he has coming over, seeing what his plans are, discussing the death of his great grandfather, and so on...

Priorities gents because the day will come all too soon where he isn't a daily part of my life.  Part of me will be glad to see him strike out on his own and make his own way in this world.  A larger part of me will miss his company, our conversations, and yes even his counsel when I have serious decisions to make

Clearly your heart is not in the game.  You must be half-azzed.

Such a shame, so much promise....

- oldman

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 06:52:41 PM »
wise you are... Jedi I will never be... so sad.. so sad...  :rofl
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 10:43:07 PM »
     Gotta remember its our hobby. For some their only hobby. Its expected to be passionate about it. Those who say "Its only a game" Im not interested in competing against. Their hearts not in it.

I can't agree with that at all FiLtH.   It is only a game to me.  Doesn't mean that when I get the time to play, I don't give it my best shot.  And I do believe I can give you a run for your money when we run into each other :)

"It's only a game" to me means, my ego isn't so wrapped up in this, I'll get down on myself if I lose a fight.  I understand that the real world is serious and that real life matters.  I believe anyone who starts in a game like this or like Airwarrior for us who started there, goes through a time in the game where it means more then it should, and we spend all our free time and energy trying to be the best and make it far more important then it is.  As I mentioned in another thread, that was about 1998 for me, in Airwarrior.  I got over it though and got my priorities back in order so the game never got to the point I was frustrated or miserable playing.

AH is my escape, where my cartoon fighter pilot is invincible and hasn't a care in the world.  Everyone here is at a different point in their cartoon pilot careers.  There will always be the latest batch of guys thinking being the greatest cartoon fighter pilot in the world means something and attack the game that way.  And that's all good.  That being said, if you asked just about any of the people who've stayed around long enough, they'll tell you they've changed in their approach to the game in one way or another.  I'd suggest that those that don't end up burning out, taking a break or giving the game up.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
Not saying I do it half azzed.  And I continually stink.. time and effort will pay off eventually. 

When I'm in my little cartoon plane I do the best I can do.  I read, practice, try new rides, mess with my convergence, discuss tactics, and generally do the best I can do.  Time and patience will develop the skills.  But I, again, apply the fun factor to it.  When it ceases to be fun for me it's time to take a break. 

That said, I have a real job, a son, a mortgage, bills, and real life concerns that take a much higher priority than any secondary entertainment can take. 

Priorities gents because the day will come all too soon where he isn't a daily part of my life.  Part of me will be glad to see him strike out on his own and make his own way in this world.  A larger part of me will miss his company, our conversations, and yes even his counsel when I have serious decisions to make. 

And Filth.. someday sir.. someday.. I'll be able to give you a run for your money... perhaps not today, next week, or next year... but I have a spot on my wall for your scalp all lined up  :D

i saw you porking a v-base, while i was porking a v-base,.,.....i headed my 24's that way....was gonna try n dogfight in em.  :rofl :rofl :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »
didnt read three pages of bullshyte.

Who cares.  :aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 12:59:17 AM »
       You sure can give me a fight Gup, lots in here kick my butt. Im just saying that when I fight, that brief moment in time during the fight I put my all into it. Im just hoping the other guy is too. Its nice to know when you win the other guy is saying "Ah &^%*!", just like I do when I die.

Worse case scenario for me is to be drinking rum, and doing anything competitive. Talk about a lad you dont want to be around. Wife says when Im like that, Im a much better loser than a winner. :P

~AoM~

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
Really.... you do.

It is after all just a video game.

Everyone take one step back.

No sir. Everyone back away from my high horse! Or ya'll gonna get stepped on. :)
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline smedddd

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 03:29:59 AM »
I meaure my $15 dollars worth / month by how much sweat I wipe off my bald head each sortie.

V/R, and <S> , LTARjink  (smedddd)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:20:45 AM by smedddd »

Offline smedddd

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
PS:.....I am watching my favorite clips of Apol..Now in Italian beacause ...

some jerk..o.......decided he needs more money.

That's OK,     WAGNER (spelled with a V for you "aspiring young lads") sounds just fine in Italiano;  as it does in the Kings version.

....disheartening

jink

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
       You sure can give me a fight Gup, lots in here kick my butt. Im just saying that when I fight, that brief moment in time during the fight I put my all into it. Im just hoping the other guy is too. Its nice to know when you win the other guy is saying "Ah &^%*!", just like I do when I die.

Worse case scenario for me is to be drinking rum, and doing anything competitive. Talk about a lad you dont want to be around. Wife says when Im like that, Im a much better loser than a winner. :P

Oh I do... and I still want your scalp on my wall :)

Drag your tired butt over to AVA sometime  :aok

With my respect

Dicho

*edit: and it's NOT DITCH-O  ya bunch of illiterates  :lol

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
To me, this IS just a game - that said, its a game that takes time to learn, practise to get better, and lots and lots of dying. When I'm playing, I do my best each and every time, win or lose. When I die, I get annoyed at myself for my decisions (ie, if I get ganged, ho'd etc) and my inability to work my way out of the situation I put myself into.

I get frustrated at myself, grumble to myself when a better peelot shoots me down, but re up and try again.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
To me, this IS just a game - that said, its a game that takes time to learn, practise to get better, and lots and lots of dying. When I'm playing, I do my best each and every time, win or lose. When I die, I get annoyed at myself for my decisions (ie, if I get ganged, ho'd etc) and my inability to work my way out of the situation I put myself into.

I get frustrated at myself, grumble to myself when a better peelot shoots me down, but re up and try again.

Wurzel

I don't get upset with myself for dying......i just go fight some more, and make sure i label the film, so i can go back, and see what i did wrong.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"