Author Topic: Attacking bombers  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Attacking bombers
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
What about the engines?  I would think setting an engine and/or wing on fire would be ideal.

There are no engine fires in Aces High. Only fuel tanks burn. And that's why I recommended shooting at the wingroots of B-24, the fuel tanks located there do quickly catch fire.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ePIC

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »
Watch video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg3sgiIfFVI

Over top attacks work very well.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 03:41:12 PM »
Bomber attacks...
What works for me is as follows...

1) come below them about 1k-1.3k, out of range of their 50 cals.
2)once you are in front of them but still below them, (make sure you have lots of speed, like 300+mph), pull straight up, roll 90 degrees and shoot them as the cross overhead.
3)once above and behind them, pull back on the stick basically doing a split S and go straight back down, gain speed and repeat.

Tips: * wait till you see the bombers when looking out of the 'top-back' view before going vert.
        * Most bomber pilots aren't looking below, but instead behind, so they often don't see you if you stay below them during your approach
        * Lancasters don't have guns on their belly, so the have no defense.
        * When rolling 90 degrees as you climb, this lets you see the bombers more easily as you can seem them come from the right-to-left or left-to right and as you pass them from behind you are giving them the 'knife edge' of your plane making yourself hard to shoot at that critical weak moment when you are slow.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:43:29 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 05:00:20 PM »
Bomber attacks...
What works for me is as follows...

1) come below them about 1k-1.3k, out of range of their 50 cals.
2)once you are in front of them but still below them, (make sure you have lots of speed, like 300+mph), pull straight up, roll 90 degrees and shoot them as the cross overhead.
3)once above and behind them, pull back on the stick basically doing a split S and go straight back down, gain speed and repeat.

Tips: * wait till you see the bombers when looking out of the 'top-back' view before going vert.
        * Most bomber pilots aren't looking below, but instead behind, so they often don't see you if you stay below them during your approach
        * Lancasters don't have guns on their belly, so the have no defense.
        * When rolling 90 degrees as you climb, this lets you see the bombers more easily as you can seem them come from the right-to-left or left-to right and as you pass them from behind you are giving them the 'knife edge' of your plane making yourself hard to shoot at that critical weak moment when you are slow.

i wouldn't suggest this method against b24's or b17's.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
Why can't I remember this stuff when I'm actually playing?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
Why can't I remember this stuff when I'm actually playing?

Hunting fever  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
I blame most of my horrible buff attacks on the fact that often when I'm buff killing, I was climbing from a base that's under attack, and someone calls high lancs.  I'm trying to get to them before they can drop, so there's time pressure.  I'll quite often try for them from whatever angle I can get.  If we're not near a base, my technique and patience generally get a lot better.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
There are no engine fires in Aces High.

Why?  This makes no sense.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 05:52:13 PM »
Being primarily a Buff pilot for the last three years, I'd say Lusche has nailed it.. More often than not I fly the faster twin eng birds now. The main reason for this is psychological, it takes longer to catch me and thus I have a better chance you'll be impatient and park yourself on my six for a kill shot.. That's where I want you and most of us buff guys know many ways to get you there.. Attacks from below usually don't work well because we can maneuver in ways that will make you come up early, on our six :)..  Racking fire from high across our wings does not do much damage but it's the toughest angle for defensive fire..

That said, it's the folks who make slashing attacks or attacks from above and concentrate their fire on a single point that are the most deadly and hated by us.. Also, fellas who work in groups of two or three and coordinate their runs are very tough to stop but this is very very rare.. But the main point being, most Bombers are large aircraft and can absorb a great deal of damage before losing something critical.. Patience, or the lack of patience, tends to be a death sentence for the attacking fighter..

:salute Tarstar