Author Topic: What are cmpwater and gndtype used for ?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
What are cmpwater and gndtype used for ?
« on: October 02, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
Simple question...

What do the cmpwater and gndtype bmp files get used for?

I am having a devil of a time producing clipboard map after creating it once and think these two files have somthing to do with that...as my clipboard maps are All Black...

Oneway

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: What are cmpwater and gndtype used for ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
gndtype bmp sets the ground type.

cmpwater sets the water parameters.

See the readme files.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:27:54 PM »
I don;t know about the cmpwater but the gndtype is what sets the ground type for your terrain.

If you are having issues with your CBM being all black it is most likely because you did not have the "grid" box checked before you clicked the "make map".
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »
I don;t know about the cmpwater but the gndtype is what sets the ground type for your terrain.

If you are having issues with your CBM being all black it is most likely because you did not have the "grid" box checked before you clicked the "make map".

I will try that right now...Nope....I just went through the "Something I did today" pdf 'from scratch', and got a perfect bmp on the first shot...without changing any settings...saved, exited etc..the re-opened the editor and made a second map.bmp and its all black...

Nope that is not it...

So here is my problem...

It makes a correct bmp on the first shot...after that the output is an all black bmp with "Grid Lines"....so obviously I will not use that in texsrc..

Why is the program incapable (for me) of producing second generation clip maps?

I wonder if this is a windows 7 issue...I further wonder why the terrain editor can not in its run time environment simply create a new bitmap and replace the existing bit map given we are in the 21'st century...and its quite stupid that a program that has gone through hundreds of updates, can't even create the texsrc directory and output bitmaps to it...extremely lame...lame beyond belief..

I could write a function in 2 minutes that checks for the existence of directory and if does not exist, creates it, and when the user chooses to update the core image or bitmap, creates a new bitmap from the underlying Graphic object of a control, and then supplants the existing bitmap with the new bitmap...that is child's play...in the coding world..

Its mind boggling stupid that the user of a program has to exit a program and create a directory structure to make the program work...and then have to transport a file to that directory and rename it...for the program to operate correctly...its astounding...beyond belief...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:05:05 PM by oneway »

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
Is the image you posted a screenshot of what is showing in the TE or the actual image saved in your folder?

The reason I ask is simple, if you don't save that in your texsrc folder under the same name as your terrain and do not change it to a 256 color bmp then this is exactly what it will look like in the TE. The image should look fine if you open with an image editor though. All of this is dependant on you making sure you check the box marked "grid" prior to clicking on "Make Map".
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Is the image you posted a screenshot of what is showing in the TE or the actual image saved in your folder?

The reason I ask is simple, if you don't save that in your texsrc folder under the same name as your terrain and do not change it to a 256 color bmp then this is exactly what it will look like in the TE. The image should look fine if you open with an image editor though. All of this is dependant on you making sure you check the box marked "grid" prior to clicking on "Make Map".

No to both question...its a screen shot of the map.bmp opened in paint...

As to your second paragraph...if I move this to texsrc and rename it...then both in game and in the terrain editor, I get black junk with grid lines...I am not going to even go down that road...unless the program produce proper output then doing the transfer/rename routine is pointless...

This screen shot is of program output to file map.bmp and as viewed in Microsoft Paint...and is the programs output when trying to create the map.bmp a second or (n) times...

My terrain editor application is incapable at this point of pumping out anything but black background bmp's when asking it to run its "create map" function as available in the File drop down menu...on iterations greater than 1...

This after having created the simple test terrain as described by Mr Midi's tutorial...and having produced a perfect clip map on the first request...Making no changes whatsoever to the terrain...I simply go back in and ask for another "map.bmp"...and get the black crap...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:28:08 PM by oneway »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »
To reproduce this:

Follow the Midi tutorial..all the way through..making an original map.bmp and going through the rename transport nonsense...

Re-open the terrain created and choose make map again

Open the new map.bmp in paint..

If your a glutton for punishment, rename it and to texsrc and open it 'in game' and 'in editor'

Its not rocket science...

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »
Working on a reply with screen shots to make it simpler.

And for future ref. the tutorial in .prf format in the above mentioned thread is out dated...I have created all me tutorials on the AHWiki located here..

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Mrmidi%27s_TE_Tutorials

Will post the other directions shortly.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
I believe I know what's going on, but I'll let Midi finish his answer with pics for others' future reference. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
OK here we go.

The "Check Grid" referenced in the tutorials when making the clipboard map does not refer to the one in the image below.

In fact it refers to the one in this image that you select PRIOR to selecting "Make Map"

One clue that you don't have it selected is there won't be any red grid lines in the main editor window, as in the image below.

By not having the proper grid selected you end up with the below image every time.

When you do have the proper grid checked you will end up with the proper map every time as in the one below.

Hope this clears up any confusion any one had.

midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 09:08:24 PM »
To reproduce this:

Follow the Midi tutorial..all the way through..making an original map.bmp and going through the rename transport nonsense...

Re-open the terrain created and choose make map again

Open the new map.bmp in paint..

If your a glutton for punishment, rename it and to texsrc and open it 'in game' and 'in editor'

Its not rocket science...

I have never had this issue following midi's advice so trying to figure out what is going wrong is going to take some testing to get to the right answer and the things that get messed up the most is not checking the "grid" box and not renaming and moving the file.

This is not rocket science either. When trying to find a problem you start with the simplest and most common problems and work from there.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 11:50:48 PM »
Gotta have those red grid squares on the terrain in the TE when making map or you get black.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »
Awesome....

Thanks

One more quick question:

What is the quick and dirty method to include a bmp tile to paint water?

I notice on the file drop down the import water bmp function but it throws and error because the file is not there...

I am assuming I create a waterc.bmp tile and place it in the imptexpt folder

I am also assuming it probably has to be a certain physical size as well as color depth to work?

What are the standards required for including the tile?

Thanks Again

Oneway
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:52:37 PM by oneway »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
The normal method is to "Export water".

Modify the bitmap, then "Import water" back into the TE.

Be careful to follow the rules if you change the waterc.bmp.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 04:14:44 PM »
The normal method is to "Export water".

Modify the bitmap, then "Import water" back into the TE.

Be careful to follow the rules if you change the waterc.bmp.

Now their is my problem...rules....

What are the RULES...?

I tried the export function with the grid on and off..I get a massive 16384x width/height sporting an 8 bit depth bmp that the OS does not recognize as proper bmp...

one called waterc and another called waterd

Basically what I am trying to do is get rid of the gray on the CBM bmp and replace it with somthing not only more pleasing, but ideally is a tiled bmp with 5 mile grid lines for flight testing purposes..

In other words I want my clipboard map to have both Vert and Horiz lines every 5 miles and indexed with the normal grid system...

:headscratch:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:23:36 PM by oneway »